Author Topic: Panoptix PS22?  (Read 7544 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panoptix PS22?
« on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Has anyone fished (Down View) with the PS22 transducer above the bottom of the ice? I’m sure that would limit the view of the bottom. But, I’m curious about how much that would impact the ability to mark fish/ your jig.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix PS22?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Why would you do that?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:29 AM »
I'm guessing so fish don't get tangled? 

I run my lvs32 just at, or a hair above the bottom of the ice, especially when bluegill fishing.  Bigger gills are masters @ circling ducers.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I run mine right at the bottom of my hole. Gills still wrap around my ducer.  Guess I’ll put it in a different hole this season.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Mark- where about in Ohio ? Biggest thing you don't have to put the PS 22 the same hole you are fishing. Last year had three guys all using holes in line. The hole I was fishing was a good foot from the hole. Other guys were about 5 foot on both sides of me. All of us used at same time no confusion.

I am in northeast Ohio. If you are within reasonable drive. If we get fishable ice could show  you all about the PS-22. Guys think I am crazy but would not trade for a livescope.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:28 AM »
I always drill a separate hole for the transducer first, then drill the fishing holes in line with the transducer so I can see more than 1 bait at a time.  By doing that, there is no concern about the transducer being in the way, it can hang down below the ice with no problems.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:23 AM »
I always drill a hole for the panoptix other wise it is just in the way. have had an excited trout try to go up its hole and get tangled n get off. yeah if you get it set right and drill holes in a line you can fish a couple guys on the same finder and see both jigs just fine.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Why wouldn't you trade for livescope? Just curious

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:48 PM »
Can anyone explain the diference between the PS22 and the LVS32 transducers? I'd like to get a 93 and Panoptix for open water and ice fishing. It would be mounted on the front trolling motor.Panoptix comes with the LVS32. Would that be good for ice and open water? Don't want the added expense of two transducers.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Can anyone explain the diference between the PS22 and the LVS32 transducers? I'd like to get a 93 and Panoptix for open water and ice fishing. It would be mounted on the front trolling motor.Panoptix comes with the LVS32. Would that be good for ice and open water? Don't want the added expense of two transducers.

The decision is either or, it would be redundant to have both.  The PS22 and LVS32 are both Panoptix, the PS22 was the first version.  The LVS32 is called Livescope.  Either of these can be used for open water or ice fishing.  The Livescope is more expensive than the PS22.  The Livescope shows a nicer image of the bottom and can actually show an image of the fish so well that at times you can see them swimming, not so much for the PS22, though it has most of the same capabilities as the Livescope (some say even better for scouting from extreme distances).  A lot of people that were using the PS22 have switched over to Livescope after seeing the difference in the images between the 2 versions, though all will not agree it is worth the price difference....

I have been using the 93 and Livescope for over a year, to me it is worth it, quite an amazing tool to have, it absolutely helps me catch more fish.  For many it is hard to justify the cost of a $2000 fish finder, that is an individual decision.  My advice is to view utube videos of the two different transducers and read all you can on different fishing forums, especially Garmin Ice Fishing and the Livescope forums who are both on Facebook, there is a world of Panoptix information there.  When doing your research note that pricing varies from vendor to vendor, many times you have to call and ask to get the best unpublished price, also some suppliers that ship out of state will not charge tax, that can add up.  Which ever unit you end up with (as many like to say), it is a game changer.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Why wouldn't you trade for livescope? Just curious

I guess the main reasons I have not jumped for the livescope is money. Got a good deal in the off season 2 years ago on the 73cv with PS22, like 1260$. I really enjoy it and I would have to jump up to the 93cv to run LS32 livescope so at this time it is not in the budget and not top of my list of things to buy for ice fishing. If I didn't already have the regular Panoptix I would probably be saving for the Livescope version. I have been really pleased with my Garmin. I do believe it is a game changer over other finder/flasher units. Not bashing anyone or anything but for my the old school flashers n such are missing a lot of information. Don't get me wrong if that is all you have it is better than nothing and they sure have helped people catch fish for many years. I believe in investing in the new technology. I guess I am one of them "First Adopters" which means I end up spending money on crap I really didn't need sometimes but sometimes I am ahead of the curve too. Panoptix is spendy no matter which setup you get, but I believe it is the future of ice fishing and in 10 20 years more and more of us will have them and the Fish Will Be Scared. hahaha
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:19 AM »
The decision is either or, it would be redundant to have both.  The PS22 and LVS32 are both Panoptix, the PS22 was the first version.  The LVS32 is called Livescope.  Either of these can be used for open water or ice fishing.  The Livescope is more expensive than the PS22.  The Livescope shows a nicer image of the bottom and can actually show an image of the fish so well that at times you can see them swimming, not so much for the PS22, though it has most of the same capabilities as the Livescope (some say even better for scouting from extreme distances).  A lot of people that were using the PS22 have switched over to Livescope after seeing the difference in the images between the 2 versions, though all will not agree it is worth the price difference....

I have been using the 93 and Livescope for over a year, to me it is worth it, quite an amazing tool to have, it absolutely helps me catch more fish.  For many it is hard to justify the cost of a $2000 fish finder, that is an individual decision.  My advice is to view utube videos of the two different transducers and read all you can on different fishing forums, especially Garmin Ice Fishing and the Livescope forums who are both on Facebook, there is a world of Panoptix information there.  When doing your research note that pricing varies from vendor to vendor, many times you have to call and ask to get the best unpublished price, also some suppliers that ship out of state will not charge tax, that can add up.  Which ever unit you end up with (as many like to say), it is a game changer.

My plan then would be to buy a 93sv without any transducer and add the Panoptix Livescope System that comes with the LVS32 transducer. Would I need the transducer that comes with the 93sv or is the LVS32 all that's required?
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:52 PM »
The LVS32 is all you need transducer-wise, that unit consists of a black box that requires 12 volt power and the transducer apparatus that comes with it.  You will also need a pole of some sort to attach the transducer to, for ice fishing and some means of keeping the black box and the 93 unit together for portable use, most people use Garmin bags or the like, but there are a myriad of different ways that people come up with to keep it altogether for transport.  Then the next thing will be battery power, most are using lithium batteries, as they have a longer run time and are lighter in weight.  I use 2-12 volt 10 amp, but many people are now going to 1 larger size battery, you will need a charger that is specific to Lithium batteries.  There are two main lithium battery companies that most people are using in their fish finders, Dakota is the one I use and only because the guy that owns the other company is always on the forums hawking his batteries, taking up space in my opinion.   

Again, read all you can on the other forums, there is a lot of information there, both good and bad, but you will be able to sort it out enough to make informed decisions if you read enough.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Skywagon, One more question concerning the 93sv. Is there that much difference in the UHD model and the original 93sv? Worth the additional $300?
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Skywagon, One more question concerning the 93sv. Is there that much difference in the UHD model and the original 93sv? Worth the additional $300?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with those.  That would be a good question to ask (or just read up) on the Livescope Facebook forum, lots of people on that site that are current with the latest products.  Seems the trend for many of the hardcore open water fishermen is to go to the 10" and bigger screens, but I can't see that being feasible for an ice fisherman trying to tote all that mass and weight around on the ice.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:51 AM »

I just ran into this video, kind of answers your question about the difference of the two systems.  Copy and paste it to watch.   

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:58 PM »
I guess the main reasons I have not jumped for the livescope is money. Got a good deal in the off season 2 years ago on the 73cv with PS22, like 1260$. I really enjoy it and I would have to jump up to the 93cv to run LS32 livescope so at this time it is not in the budget and not top of my list of things to buy for ice fishing. If I didn't already have the regular Panoptix I would probably be saving for the Livescope version. I have been really pleased with my Garmin. I do believe it is a game changer over other finder/flasher units. Not bashing anyone or anything but for my the old school flashers n such are missing a lot of information. Don't get me wrong if that is all you have it is better than nothing and they sure have helped people catch fish for many years. I believe in investing in the new technology. I guess I am one of them "First Adopters" which means I end up spending money on crap I really didn't need sometimes but sometimes I am ahead of the curve too. Panoptix is spendy no matter which setup you get, but I believe it is the future of ice fishing and in 10 20 years more and more of us will have them and the Fish Will Be Scared. hahaha

Is there not a 7 inch version that works with Livescope?

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:25 PM »
Is there not a 7 inch version that works with Livescope?

Actually I think my 73 would work its just the black box and ls32 ducer I would need to get my 73 to do live scope, probably an update to firmware as well but I think it will work.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:27 PM »
according to Garmin if I bought the livescope system, black box and ls32 ducer, I could hook it up to my 73cv no problem.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591379#devices

check this for list of compatible devices
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Actually I think my 73 would work its just the black box and ls32 ducer I would need to get my 73 to do live scope, probably an update to firmware as well but I think it will work.

That's what I thought so I was kind of confused, I've been looking in to Livescope and will likely get a 73 so it is more manageable to possibly use on my kayak.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:27 AM »
My older 73sv has a plug in the back for panoptix.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2020, 05:55 PM »
You need a plus model for LiveScope. But you can run Panoptix ps-22 on a cv, dv, sv unit.
jbird68

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2020, 08:32 AM »
You need a plus model for LiveScope. But you can run Panoptix ps-22 on a cv, dv, sv unit.

To clarify: Echomap Chirp 7" and 9" models can run the original panoptix transducers, including the ps22. The Echomap Plus and UHD 7" and 9" models and the Echomap ultra models can run any of the original panoptix transducers and the Livescope LVS32 system. The ultra models can run the cheaper Livescope transducer without the same coverage, but I haven't seen anyone doing that.

For what it's worth, I ran the ps22 on a 7" Echomap Chirp and 9" Echomap Plus. I sold it and am now running Livescope on my 9" plus model. I am very happy with Livescope and don't regret the upgrade, but the ps22 is still an amazing transducer if you don't want to spend the $$ on Livescope.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2020, 07:27 PM »
I got my EchoMap 73dv on eBay a few years ago for $228 shipped. And I just got the PS-22 for $450 with the pole from a guy on the Facebook marketplace. So, I'm still learning how to use the Panoptix.
jbird68

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I got my EchoMap 73dv on eBay a few years ago for $228 shipped. And I just got the PS-22 for $450 with the pole from a guy on the Facebook marketplace. So, I'm still learning how to use the Panoptix.

almost exactly the same for me.  73sv off ebay for 375 ps-22 for 400 off fb.  and with some pvc and a bucket made my own pole and hauler.  no complaints here. 

we used it for one trip up to mn and we agreed it tripled our fish count from what we normally do.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:57 AM »
I made this a couple years ago to mount my transducer to. This was before I had purchased an Ice Transducer and I was using the transducer from my boat until I permanently mounted it to my trolling motor.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZ3e4jersUeHVvt76
jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.