Author Topic: Hand held GPS (with lake chip) that I can use on the road also  (Read 1345 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
 I'm going to buy a new hand held gps and have no idea of which one to buy. I don't want to spend but looking for one that has the most bang for the buck. I want one thats easy to use and can use the NAV. chips if I ever decide to use them. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
   Matt

Offline slacktime

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hand held GPS (with lake chip) that I can use on the road also
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Redone, When I was looking, it seemed that some were designed for street navigation-great road maps and turn by turn instructions, not what I wanted. Some were designed to be a hand held navigation device, what I wanted. I selected a Garmin 60CSx, it does everything I need it to do. Highway map reading, turn by turn instructions, it is also great for overland navigation. I have a mount in my boat, works great on the water in remote areas of northern MN. I flip it on now and then when flying commercial-it;s kind of fun to monitor real time navigation info at 40,000 feet and 560 MPH. I have ice fishing honey holes, agate picking hot spots and street addresses saved in memory, works great for me. My wife hates it, she bought a Nuvi, but she just wants to get from here to there in the car. What ever works for you.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:20 PM »
I would go with a Garmin, good quality and reasonable prices.  If you go the their website you can check them all out and do comparisons.

http://www.garmin.com/us/

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 09:06 PM »
I went with the garmin as well. 62st works great. There's a marine model that floats as well if i recall correctly. I got a great deal on a refurbished one through factory outlet store. Also Garmins new midwest lake map chip that they released last year is awesome. $100 and you get all of the lakes in the midwest. Lot better than $100 per state.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I've had the Garmin GPSMAP 78s for one winter and one summer's worth of fishing now, and it's been great. I bought the lake maps for my area, and they're very helpful when fishing new water. This model is more on the pricey side, but the model it replaces, the 76csx can be had for quite cheap now.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:22 AM »
I would go with a Garmin Rhino Serise.

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:51 AM »
I have a garmin trek 20 with a lake master chip, works well for me.

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:17 PM »
I am looking to get a hand held that I can put a Lake Master chip in and also use it in the truck to navigate with on long trips. If you have any experience with them thank you in advance for your help.

Offline crappiehuntertoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Unless you find a used LM chip I dont think they are available for handhelds since Hummingbird bought Lakemaster. I was looking a a Garmin Nuvi 550 but dont know much about them except they can be used on land and water with different map chips.

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will roll to Cabela's this week and check them out.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:43 AM »
I have a Garmin 62 S , excellent unit. I also have a Nuvi 550. The 550 works very well with a Lakemaster lake chip. Not all Nuvi's work with lake map chips, and the 550 has the best zoom. If you are looking to have a cross over unit research the 550 or the 500. Basically they are the same.

WS

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Why not use a smart phone? navigations is great and nax app is as well... save hundreds.
Fishin red lines

Offline MN Ryder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:36 AM »
I have the Garmin 62st, bought it mainly to use detailed topo maps for hunting.  Purchased the Midwest Fishing Guide micro SD this year that has lake maps for the entire region of states (from Dakotas to Wisconsin).  It's great to go onto a new lake and know where the drop-offs and flats are without drilling.  Gonna be very useful with open water fishing too.  Also has the boat landings marked.  Also can use the unit for road navigation no problem.  Many places I go do not have cell coverage, so that's not always an option.  BTW, my fish locator is a Garmin too, the Echo 550c, use it on the ice (with portable kit), as well as from the boat & canoe.  Echo 550c has a flasher as well as high def fish & structure locator.   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.