Author Topic: Frabill Min-O-Life  (Read 2611 times)

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
Frabill Min-O-Life
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:57 PM »
just picked up one of these at cabelas today.  for 22 $'s it'll keep my minnows alive.(?)

my question is for those of you who use one:  how long can i expect the 2 D's to last?  And should i keep it running constantly or can i use it 20 min on/off?

thanx

-PA-

*man, it(ice) better get here soon.....im up to about 100 lbs of crap in tow and gainin' everyday! ;D :'(
"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Frabill Min-O-Life
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:47 PM »
The warmer it is the more you need to run it. When its cold out i would just try running it like a couple hours a day. Cold minnows dont use much oxygen. The batteries will last a long time in one of those. I keep my minnows in the garage with no aeration or anything and just replace the water every couple three days. I use one for chubs in the summer cause they die so often and use so much Oxygen.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2003, 06:24 AM »
I have one and I went out and bought a ceap aquarium air pump that I connect to it when I'm not fishing.  In the winter I rarely run the pump that came with it.  In the summer I run it as much as I can.

I guess how long the pump will run depends on the quality of batteries and air temp.

Offline ZachSchuler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:18 PM »
The minolife is pretty cool. It works great. the aerator though is very very loud. You can barely talk over them. The batteries last a really long time. A lot longer than they claim I believe.

iceman670

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2003, 12:17 AM »
I have made mine for years,Yes there noisy but the pumps will run for about 40 hours or so maybe longer, Just a hint,
Get a 6pack size cooler with a top and then get a battery operated pump,
QUITE BUBBLES 17bucks and drill a hole in the top of the cooler for the tube and velcro the bubble box to the top.and your done.
When you get back home you can leave them in the garage and hook up a cheap fish tank pump 5 bucks. This has been working for me for years
and the real trick is get one that says QuiteBubbles because it really is quite.Also if you can find it SouthBend Makes or made a pump that was sold at K-Mart That was not noisy at all.It was Dark gray had rounded corners 8 buck or so. Sorry for the long winded post...........

RonP

jiggaFL-18

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2003, 08:09 AM »
how many dozen minnows  can u keep in at once

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2003, 08:56 AM »
I have about 22 dozen red and yellow dace in a 45 gallon drum and have yet to use a pump. It is however outside wrapped in insulation so it doesn't freeze but I do change 1 bucket of water every time I get minnows from my trap.
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

iceman670

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2003, 10:43 PM »
In the six pack cooler we bring 4 doz golden roaches and about 6 doz fatheads. will stay for days weeks and months with a little care. I.E.
changing water.

RonP
Chicago

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2003, 06:20 AM »
22 dozn? 10 doz? u guys must not like chatting with your bait guy. My baitguy is a heck of a guy and he catches plenty fish so always good for a talk.

I wonder if red and yellow dace are what they call rainbow minnows in MN. Those things stay on the hook forever. Expensive though.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.