Author Topic: Which Thorne Bros rod to start out with?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Which Thorne Bros rod to start out with?
« on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I have been waiting for 2 months for a few Jason Mitchell rods to come back in stock and was again told today they where still not available..so I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a couple thorne bros rods....where would you suggest I start?

I will be fishing mostly for panfish..gills, perch and crappie. I have the odd walleye trip throw in as well.

I was thinking about the following rods...36' TB Custom Ice Rod - Sweet Heart Plus - Perch, & the Power Noodle rod 24" (currently out of stock)

Im open to suggestions and comments.

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Which Thorne Bros rod to start out with?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:34 PM »
You cant go wrong with a one-two combo of a panfish sweetheart and a powernoodle. With those two you can fish a wide range of jig sizes. They will make them any length you want but the standard on those two are about perfect. A longer sweetheart(32in) would be nice for hole hopping but I havent used one yet.
The 19 inch finness rod with a spring is also a favorite of mine. Depends a little on your style...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:34 PM »
It depends on your personal preference.  I myself am content with the 32" rods.  That's also in part with making sure I can fit them into my bags.  I started with the outside versions with the Fuji Alconite guides.  I like that so much better than the inside rod version with the Fuji Hardloy guides for the other rods.  I can feel and see the difference between line flow for light weight jig drop.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceManBran

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:49 PM »
I really is personal preference, I have 2 panfish sweethearts right now, both 24 inch. I prefer shorter rods, the standard on these is 28.

The powernoodles are awesome as well for panfish, very light tip on them but a solid backbone.

The quiversticks are also one to look at.  They have a quick tip-a bit heavier than the powernoodle but lighter than the panfish sweethearts.  $85 a pop for these, but they're very nice rods.  They have titanium guides on them, which are also available on any other TB rod. 

Like others have said, the possibilities are endless, they're build any rod for you, with any guides they offer at any length, with any handle.  You can also customize the guide wraps and accents.

No, I don't work for TB or anything, i'm just extremely impressed with the stuff they build.

Offline rover1.5dx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:09 PM »
My order for TB blanks was made 2 weeks ago.  I called them and talked to Lonnie.  He suggested to get the Perch vs. Panfish Sweetheard as it's much more versatile.

I also ordered two 48" Professional blanks for lakers on Simcoe.

I'll probably cut down the Perch blank to 32"-34".

For all of them I ordered the outside guides.  Lonnie says they don't use tip tips, rather just use a small guide.  For the Pro blanks one I will build with a baitcast rod (spiral wrap guides) the other spinning style.

Shipping to Toronto was $20.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I took the plunge and ordered the Power Noodle and Perch rod, I like the longer rods I used a 36" in pervious years and really likes it. The problem was it was to long for my case and thus was broken while traveling. I will need to take care of these two bad boys

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:53 PM »
you cant go wrong with a power noodle great rods my quiverstick is on the way and I cant wait to try it
Dave

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:23 PM »
I took the plunge and ordered the Power Noodle and Perch rod, I like the longer rods I used a 36" in pervious years and really likes it. The problem was it was to long for my case and thus was broken while traveling. I will need to take care of these two bad boys

Good choices. I just bought a 36" Perch Sweetheart outside rod at the show. Did you buy the 24" Power Noodle or the 28" outside Noodle. The 28" will be my next rod.

Bob

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:31 PM »
 ;D Now you will have to pamper those high precision instruments.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:38 PM »
I've been using golf club dividers to store my rods and they are great. They are those plastic tubes you stick in your golf bag for organization. Some rods dont fit because the guides stick off the rod too far, bud a quick squash to the tube and your rod fits no problem. The longest rod I have is a 32 and it fits nicely in the tubes. Protect your investment!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.