Author Topic: Regular mono vs. ice mono differences???  (Read 2763 times)

Offline CJW

• IceShanty Rookie
Regular mono vs. ice mono differences???
« on: Nov 26, 2009, 04:13 PM »
I tried doing some searching and couldn't find anything diffinitive.  What is the difference in regular soft water mono and hard water mono?  I've read that some of it may be a little more limp, but why?  What is so different in the manufacturing process of the two?  Besides the size of spool it's sold in.  Is it actually better in sub freezing temps?

???

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: Regular mono vs. ice mono differences???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:42 PM »
I can use six lines through the ice so am always interested in how to better my equipment.  I bought three different brands of the winter ice lines.
If you jig in 100 feet of water where line stretch is very undesirable, and tie some really good knots, it isn't so bad except for the additional cost.
For my 3 pound rainbows in 20 feet of water, I have had many line snaps as the fancy non stretch line snaps with hard use. I also had trouble with the specialized knots, and an improved clinch knot that I tie did not work well and some hooks slipped right off the line, along with the fish. In real cold weather, I like fast easy to tie knots and line that will stretch a little before it snaps due to brittleness.
I gave my three spools away and went back to a good quality stren or trilene in 8 pound test and change out the end ten feet evert trip and change the whole spool monthly or more often.
I never found any real value in the over priced ice lines.
Thread killer

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:30 AM »
This question gets asked all the time.

There's nothing more definitive then fishing two poles with one ice line and the other with regular summer line.  It makes a world of difference.  First thing is ice lines shed water off much easier.  It reduces ice build up on your tip and line guides.  Second thing is they don't stiff up like standard summer lines.  You don't have to fight line springing off your spool or fighting line memory coils going down the ice hole.  

I fished late into fall and seeing how bad summer lines perform right at freezing temps, I don't care to see any of it in my ice rods.  Of course fishing out of a warm shack, you don't have to worry about line freeze.  I have a few summer lines on my ice rods, but will not use these rods to fish in open exposure.  Bad thing about winter ice lines is that they lack capacity - way too many 50 yrds spools.  I need a minimum of 100 yrds.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:48 AM »
I fished P-Line Floroclear 3# last year and could not tell the difference between this and there 3# Floroice line except that 100yds of the Floroice is $5 and 300 yds of Floroclear is only $8. You do the math! Fin

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2009, 01:20 PM »
The only reason I use an "ice line" is I can't get Trilene XL in 1lb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.