Author Topic: Cookstoves for the Ice and Shack  (Read 10469 times)

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cookstoves for the Ice and Shack
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Which do you guys prefer? Propane cookstove or a coleman fuel cookstove?

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cookstoves for the Ice and Shack
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Coleman 5428 Guide 3 burner propane stove.  Can cook and heat all season with a 20 pound tank....using adequate ventilation for safety, of course.  Just perking a little cowboy coffee will get you down to a t-shirt or drive you out..........   

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:14 PM »
Which do you guys prefer? Propane cookstove or a coleman fuel cookstove?
this is an interesting question. i have both and use both. i don:t have a preference, they are both handy and work for me and what i need.keeps my coffee hot puts hot food in the belly and also heats the shelter when i need it.i did pick up a coleman 425 that i will be trying out this year for sure.its a double burner and has its own tank and fuel.this one is new to me but this season i will find out how they are. 
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:31 PM »

I am a Coleman fuel guy all the way. It just seems you get more heat and light than you do with propane, especially when its cold out..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:32 PM »
I have a coleman lantern that runs on the little lp tanks. But I got a lantern and a cookstove that runs on the coleman fuel from my uncle. I was going to get the hookup to use my campers propane stove on those little lp tanks. But now that I inherited the coleman fuel kind I was just wondering if I should use them and not worry about the proane stove.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:35 PM »
you should be fine. the coleman fuel last for a while
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:54 PM »
sweet. thanks. I'm still going to keep my lp lantern in the shack too but I'm gonna use the coleman fuel stove and lantern too. Thanks guys.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2009, 08:02 AM »
you can also buy the conversion to propane for almost any of the whitegas stoves    I actually prefer a small apt gas stove oven in my big shack  coleman stove with propane adapter for my otter village!

Attaches in place of the gas tank

They work great!  even on my 3 burner stove!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Nice. How much that little conversion run ya? Which do you think is more efficient?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2009, 04:22 PM »
about 15 bucks

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:17 AM »
i will have to grab one, thanks.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:47 AM »
me too. thanks for the tip

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:52 AM »
i like the propane it just seems easier to deal with those little tanks than coleman fuel, but i think the coleman fuel is more efficient 

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2009, 12:41 PM »
I bought the adapter and hoses this year for camping and now I will use my 11lb bottle to run my heater and stove when out.  I ran all of last year on my 11lb bottle and into the camping season so I think it should be good for me this winter.
<br />

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Propane cookstove. No muss no fuss.
I bought one of the new Coleman two burners and it has a new cheesy latch that pops open. Disappointed in Coleman for that.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2009, 03:45 PM »
eventually I want one of these:   Only 229.00

This Camp Oven has just what every camp needs to enjoy superior eating in the outdoors – compact size, portability and raw cooking power. Don't let its compact size fool you. The Outdoor Camp Oven features more than 14,000 total BTU of cooking energy. Twin burners and a spacious oven have plenty of power to get your cooking/baking done the way you like it, right there in camp. The unit uses a disposable 1-lb. propane tank, or it can be adapted to use a 20-lb. tank for increased cooking time. The range's dual burners put out a whopping 5,300 BTU per burner. The oven heats at 3,500 BTU per hour with a maximum temperature of 400°F. Two oven racks allow you to cook your main meal and dessert at once. An oven thermometer helps keep heat constant and monitors your meal's cooking progress. The matchless burner igniters mean you won't have to fumble for a lighter or matches while in the field. The stove's folding lid and carry handles were designed with portability in mind, so it's easy to get into and out of camp. Stainless steel construction resists corrosion for years of cooking without problems. Nonstick enamel cooking surface makes cleaning swift and easy with just soap and water.
Top burner dimensions: 12" x 21".
Oven dimensions: 16"W x 11"D x 8-1/4"H.
Weight: 35 lbs.

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2009, 05:08 PM »
Perfect addition to The Big Green Sno Pro!!!  U Maine guys do it right!!!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:16 PM »
eventually I want one of these:   Only 229.00
(Image removed from quote.)

This Camp Oven has just what every camp needs to enjoy superior eating in the outdoors – compact size, portability and raw cooking power. Don't let its compact size fool you. The Outdoor Camp Oven features more than 14,000 total BTU of cooking energy. Twin burners and a spacious oven have plenty of power to get your cooking/baking done the way you like it, right there in camp. The unit uses a disposable 1-lb. propane tank, or it can be adapted to use a 20-lb. tank for increased cooking time. The range's dual burners put out a whopping 5,300 BTU per burner. The oven heats at 3,500 BTU per hour with a maximum temperature of 400°F. Two oven racks allow you to cook your main meal and dessert at once. An oven thermometer helps keep heat constant and monitors your meal's cooking progress. The matchless burner igniters mean you won't have to fumble for a lighter or matches while in the field. The stove's folding lid and carry handles were designed with portability in mind, so it's easy to get into and out of camp. Stainless steel construction resists corrosion for years of cooking without problems. Nonstick enamel cooking surface makes cleaning swift and easy with just soap and water.
Top burner dimensions: 12" x 21".
Oven dimensions: 16"W x 11"D x 8-1/4"H.
Weight: 35 lbs.
now thats the  s##t, i need one of those. cooking is a big part of being on the ice and that would do me just fine! pretty cool!!!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2009, 06:27 AM »
where it is portable I see lots of outdoor uses for it  I have a few questions on it still  about the oven... hope to hear from someone that has one....   that be great year round  camping   hunting camp  just cooking outside in the summer camping instead of heating up the camper!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:04 AM »
where it is portable I see lots of outdoor uses for it  I have a few questions on it still  about the oven... hope to hear from someone that has one....   that be great year round  camping   hunting camp  just cooking outside in the summer camping instead of heating up the camper!

yes and the fact that it has a oven is increadable.i bet using the oven, it eats up lots of fuel.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2009, 06:35 PM »
I bet it would not if ya keep the door closed and are not trying to use both burners on top.  They would imo not use any more than a regular full size grill.
<br />

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »
yes and the fact that it has a oven is increadable.i bet using the oven, it eats up lots of fuel.
2 burners @ 5300 BTU/hour=10,600
oven @ 3500 btu/hr =           3,500
total                                 14,100 BTU/HR

I think the top setting for my sunflower is 14,000 BTU/hr, so it would chew some fuel, but you'd get warmth AND FOOD for the expense of cranking a sunflower = WIN/WIN

It gets better, I just found this:
http://www.target.com/gp/search/190-0626971-9015358?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&viewID=drill-down&field-keywords=outdoor-camp-oven

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2009, 08:06 AM »
2 burners @ 5300 BTU/hour=10,600
oven @ 3500 btu/hr =           3,500
total                                 14,100 BTU/HR

I think the top setting for my sunflower is 14,000 BTU/hr, so it would chew some fuel, but you'd get warmth AND FOOD for the expense of cranking a sunflower = WIN/WIN

It gets better, I just found this:
http://www.target.com/gp/search/190-0626971-9015358?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&viewID=drill-down&field-keywords=outdoor-camp-oven
thanks, now look what you have done! just as i thought i was all set and ready to go, i see something new i need. that thing is awesome!!!cool link, thanks
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Got an older colman propane stove. I get quite a few trips out of the 1# tanks, Between espesso with a splash of "boca" to sweeten it up, american coffee, or one of my brothers creations (He's a chef at Mohegan Sun) It works just fine. I went lp after my old boss told me white fual can get messy. Sorry I've got no experiance with it. That stove/oven looks sweet. I can only imagine wqhat I could be eating. ::) ;D

Offline thermonuclearcoldfusion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2009, 12:23 PM »
I go to Oshkosh every year and that stove is going with me WOW. Thanks for the link now if I can figure out how to get that in the michianna shed I have it made!!!!!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Welcome to the shanty!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline thermonuclearcoldfusion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Hi michianna pls email me on you GREAT unit your makeing!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:16 PM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline NHRenegade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I thought my little 2 burner stove with a "mini oven" and grill was perfect, now I might have to upgrade too!  Here is what I currently use in my hardside.  I have a 20 lb propane tank that runs this and my small direct vent heater.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:34 AM »
I thought my little 2 burner stove with a "mini oven" and grill was perfect, now I might have to upgrade too!  Here is what I currently use in my hardside.  I have a 20 lb propane tank that runs this and my small direct vent heater.

(Image removed from quote.)
Hmmm interesting stove set up there   tell us more about it    ie:cost and where to get it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.