Author Topic: what's a "dropper"  (Read 1540 times)

Offline wackyworm

• IceShanty Rookie
what's a "dropper"
« on: Feb 28, 2005, 12:49 PM »
I'm a beginner and still learning. Is this a short piece of line tied to a Hali or jigging Rapala with a small jig and wax worm attached.  If so, what keeps the dropper from entangling in the Hali or Rapala when you jig the setup?

What is the science behind this setup.  Does it trigger a perch to strike? I'm interested in hearing from those who have used this technique. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: what's a "dropper"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2005, 01:06 PM »
In my opinion it is the best thing ever invented. (after the auger of course) I like to use it  on all my jigging spoons. I use a little red mesquito hook with a 2" or 3"  leader to the spoon. As far as the tangle part I don't know for sure what to tell you but with my vex. I can see both things.
     Jim

missfishylicious

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2005, 01:57 PM »
I think the theory is .the spoon attracts them and they hit the smaller jig or fly
works for me on perch, most years anyway .this ones been a hard one.I don't seem to have trouble with tangles  :-\.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2005, 02:47 PM »
The reason it does not tangle is it is so short. But the main thing you have to remember is not to jig it too hard. Perch are finiky most of the time anyway so just an inch or 2 is the max. Most of the time it is just a nudge that should be done.

missfishylicious

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2005, 03:58 PM »
or just wiggle the tip lightly and pull it away from them slowly.

bib brother

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:08 PM »
wiggle and jiggle only, no sharp jigging.  i'm new to the aqua view but it has shown me how the fish react to different presentations, perch don't want you to jig, just jiggle then hold still, they hit it while it's not moving. typically

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:13 PM »
 I use mostly drop lines. It all started years ago when pilkys [the jig with the chain] was popular. I pulled the chain off and replaced with line. If you use a jig with split rings the line can tangle. Try a jig with fine wire ends. Long bodys will swim, round bodys will not as much. I make alot of my own . The last ones I made are round and look like those asian beetles [lady bugs]. You know these bugs if you live in the midwest.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Rock Bottom

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2005, 12:13 PM »
Something I tried as far as to reduce the tangle was to use heavier line. I am normally a light line kind of guy but on my dropper I use a #12 flourocarbon so it is fairly stiff super clear and does not usually tangle.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Like the hali chains with a treble hook, work well
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.