Author Topic: How many jigs have you lost?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
How many jigs have you lost?
« on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:19 PM »
How many jigs have you lost this season, how did you lose them, and if you lose one in brush or rocks on the bottom, do you move your hole or just take the chance?  (I know you can't "move your hole", but you know what I mean)  Have you ever caught a fish with a jig in it's mouth?
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How many jigs have you lost?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I have only lost two lures this year and not to fish! My pail with my rods in it flew out of the back of my buddies truck on the way to the lake minimal damage to my reels surprisingly but my one of my favorite 1/32 oz glow jigs and one of my jigging spoons both got trashed.I had a hole that i got snagged up in but managed to get my spoon back I stayed in and around that hole and popped 5 nice walleyes in the last 45 mins of daylight.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I havent lost any jigs this year.  I have lost some trebles on what must have been pike while i was fishing for pannies on tip ups.  I dont lose that many jigs through the year.  I haven't personally caught a fish throught the ice with a jig in it that i can remember but i did see one pickeral caught earlier this year with a hali in it.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:43 PM »
I have only lost two lures this year and not to fish! My pail with my rods in it flew out of the back of my buddies truck on the way to the lake minimal damage to my reels surprisingly but my one of my favorite 1/32 oz glow jigs and one of my jigging spoons both got trashed.I had a hole that i got snagged up in but managed to get my spoon back I stayed in and around that hole and popped 5 nice walleyes in the last 45 mins of daylight.

Talk about heartbreak in your rear view mirror! :'(
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2005, 07:19 PM »

Talk about heartbreak in your rear view mirror! :'(
Yeah  all I could think was no way my rods are trashed luckily it was early in the morning so no one ran them over!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Whole ice fishing career- 1 hali lost, snagged on weeds in Lake George. I am VERY fortunate ;D!

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:57 PM »
 I've lost 5 already this year in the 3 trips out, not too bad i guess. Those pike seem to like my jigs  >:(  I lost 13 last year in one day on Lake George, i kept hittin lakers while fishing for perch in 64 feet of water, on the 2 lb test the lakers would snap i like nothing.
Jason

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2005, 03:01 AM »
Alot of the lakes I fish have a ton of snake northers in them, & it seems like I get bit off at least twice a day.  I think this year I've lost around 2 dozen jigs.  Two years ago, though, I had all my ice fishing stuff stolen, which included about 200 jigs, jigging spoons, bobbers, etc.  I'm still trying to make up for that.   >:(

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2005, 06:02 AM »
Thats cold that somebody would steal your gear.I have not lost any lures this year but have in the past.My kids lose more stuff than me but that's because their knots are'nt as good.I will keep taking them out though because we have so much fun.
                                                                          Elkman

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2005, 06:26 AM »
I have lost coutless jigs fishing the evil cane and to pike :'( 

I was jigging for bluegills in my perm shack one day and had a gill run me into the cane. I snapped my line trying to free it. Well I was out fishing  the next day and caught the darn fish again with my jig in its mouth :woot:

TrophyHunter, I lost my whole lifetime acumulated rod collection awhile back  :'( It's was all Big Petes fault.. lol ... he jostled the pail of rods when we stopped to get some minnows. Well he drives like a maniac which don't help, we must have met a semi and whoooosh out they the they went, of course we didnt know this until 20 mins later when we got to the lake. We drove back to see if we could find them, about ten miles back we see my 6 gallon bucket laying the ditch and one broken rod laying on the shoulder of the road  :'( All the rest someone had already picked up.  :'(
Whhaaaa

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2005, 09:52 AM »
in my career ive lost two and they were both jiggin rapalas. at one lake i went to they seemed to catch perch well, so i decided to tie one on. put it on then bang before it even went down the hole i caught a monster perch. next trip down the hole before it even went down had another hit, then gone! its funny how that can happen sometimes

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2005, 10:26 AM »
I am sure this happens to everyone.  Trying to be a nice guy, I took my brother-in-law on the first outing this year.  He is one that changes lures every 3 minutes (summer and winter).  After 15 minutes he has gone through all of his jigs. 

He picks up my lure box and starts poking through the little compartments and asking questions about different baits and colors.  I hear sh!!!t and look over just as the corner of the box hits the ice between two holes. 

I am guessing I lost between one half of a pound and a pound of lures.  There was close to 30 years worth of great new lures, jigs, spoons, dippies, ice flies, etc. in that box and 8 new Hali's and about 50 or so Swedish Pimples.  He looks at me with a little smile and said " cold hands, I guess".

He did offer to buy coffee on the way home if I would loan him $5.

Pop

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2005, 12:42 PM »
None so far. I have lost a few minnows off the hook though.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2005, 05:36 PM »
I've lost quite a few over the years. One local lake that I fish has lots
of pickerel 20"+ and they love to hit and take your jig. The most that I
lost in one day is 7 Swedish pimples.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Ive lost a few this year, all to the ferocious mouth of northerns

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2005, 07:26 PM »
Pop--I think if it was my bro-inlaw I would have tied a rope around his feet and sent him down to retrieveLOL. I haven't lost too many off my line but,I always loose a few when I'm changing---you know what I mean--that magnetic hole in the floor of the shack. I can't believe it... you could be standing anywhere inthe shack(8x10), it will hit the floor once, bounce, and go down the hole---unbelievable. Remind me not to pick up my Brother-in-laws tackle box.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Tombo, I know exactly the "magnetic hole" that you mean.  My last personal encounter was with a mini-mag light.  I am amazed at how long you could see the light on the bottom.  It bounced once with a twist  before a dead center hit in the hole.  It would have been a perfect score, except for too much splash.

I guess I have learned to live with my brother-in-law.  Last year he tried to jump from the dock into my boat and broke the windshield clear off of the console.  His wife told him to be careful going with me from now on, I might lead him off some where and forget to bring him back and God knows he would never find his own way back from anywhere.

Pop

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2005, 04:29 PM »
I lost about ten a couple of weeks ago on lake george  when i was cursing in from deep water on my quad and Must have bounced on a couple Of drifts i looked back and about a hundred feet back laid my gas auger five gal bait pail w/bait and all my gear Went back and picked it all up so i thought? When i got home and checked my gear one 6X4 clear plastic case missing Five pimples Two hali jigs and a couple of buckshot droppers  GONE  Now i strap down all my gear in the slead  !! LESSON LEARNED !!  Think i better buy a cover for my jet sled.
I Live To Fish

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2005, 07:55 PM »
Lost about ten this year.One today even.Mostly because I use light line.The water
is so clear at one particular reservoir I just don't get the bites with heavier line.

bib brother

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2005, 09:48 PM »
i have 4 younger brothers.  need i say more?

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2005, 09:53 PM »
much to many to speak of
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:33 PM »
around 6 this year {winter that is} at least 20 last year {winter} usually from fish breaking my line -usually from catching pike while fishing for pickeral or perch.Last one was lost because the lock on my swivel broke-those pike are strong.Don`t even ask about my lost lures from catch`n bottom in the summer.

Basshuntah

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2005, 03:45 PM »
Yeah Ive lost plenty on weed beds, I like to try and entice pike to bite the jiggin pole, boy do they take ya for a ride. and if their bittin I usually won't move the hole if I lode a few.;D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2005, 07:00 PM »
I've lost 5 already this year in the 3 trips out, not too bad i guess. Those pike seem to like my jigs  >:(  I lost 13 last year in one day on Lake George, i kept hittin lakers while fishing for perch in 64 feet of water, on the 2 lb test the lakers would snap i like nothing.
Well, I'll make you a deal, you should tell me where you were hitting these lakers, and I'll drive you out there so we can fish them :P
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2005, 08:15 PM »
never lost any thing expenive, just jig heads, althoughte we did lose my buddys resse hitch of his qaued today if that counts.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2005, 08:39 PM »
ALOT I could buy a new truck  :'(
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Lost about ten this year.One today even.Mostly because I use light line.The water
is so clear at one particular reservoir I just don't get the bites with heavier line.
Except for the river colorado water is too clear >:(. I have lost 12 this year. 8 Because pike bit me off at crawford while jigging for perch  (5 were ratsos, 1 was swedish pimple, 2 were other spoons), and 4 blue ratsos because of monster cuttbows at vega that just plain out were too strong. One, I hooked a huge cuttbow at vega, and for over 1 straight minute he screamed out line. I had 100 yards of line and started seeing the backing of my real. This fish wasn't slowing down a bit, so I knew I had to start really horsing him. Well, I realed about 2 cranks and he broke my line >:( stinkin' cuttbows are too strong!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Sounds like our, FUN lakers! ::) ;D

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2005, 10:08 PM »
2 this season .  Also nailed a large pickeral w/ wire snelled hook.  When I pulled it in it had not 1 but 2 hooks buried in his jaw!!!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.