Author Topic: A Question For Women Who Ice Fish  (Read 4839 times)

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
A Question For Women Who Ice Fish
« on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I see here a few Ladies who enjoy the Ice fishing, my wife has gone fishing and enjoyed it. What words will convince her to give it a try. My friends girlfriend is total hooked by this ice fishing and she is asking why I haven't brought my wife . I need a few words to convince her to try it. I have the Hub and heater so I can make it comfortable and we do have fun in pubs and camp just us alot in a Pop up.   Give me a few words on why a women may like ice fishing that are not the same as a mans reasons, if there are any.  My Niece loves it I may get her to talk to my Lori..

To the men who can bring your wife congrats on a well chosen partner  .. Life is so good with a team like that..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: A Question For Women Who Ice Fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:50 PM »
take her, but don't fish in it  @) (works for us)
break it in first

then start dropping a line here and there
when she starts seeing how much fun it is, she might join you

mine goes some times and goes in the boat. she knows the tug is the drug

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:51 PM »
I've been ice fishing since I was going out with my dad at 5 years old, that was 25 years ago and I'm still as addicted as ever. Needless to say, I'm out every weekend in ALL types of weather. The best thing you can do is keep her dressed warm! For some ridiculous reason, us ladies tend to run cooler than you guys regardless of how many layers we put on. If she likes wine or beer, bring along her favorite, that never hurts.  Oh, and having private spot spot to pee nearby wouldn't hurt for the newbies! It's not like we can be dropping trow as easily as the boys!  ;)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:16 PM »
My wife is my best icefishing partner. We have a hub for her to sit in.  SHe has a quad chair to sit on, a mr. buddy heater, her ipod and magazine. We also bring a 5 gal. bucket for her to use for bathroom facility.  She has her own icefishing suit too.   Keep her warm, comfortable and happy and she'll enjoy coming out fishing with you.   ;D

P.S. we also go out to dinner at a different restraunt after each icefishing trip.  That makes her happy too.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:39 PM »
For 28 years my wife and I have done everything together, Hunt, fish, shop, you name it. I cannot imagine her not being by my side.  As for your question, I don't know. Ask her if she would like to go with you, That's about it. If she does and likes it, You have a new best friend. If not, Well you still have a wife. Good luck with getting her to go. Maybe start her out in the summer, If she gets hooked it will carry on into winter.   Steve   

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I read the question to my wife just now.  She says 1) have a shelter (check), and 2) provide guide service.  She likes when I plan the trip, bait her hook, clean the fish, etc.  I even bring the food and cook lunch.  Tiny price to pay for the best company in the world.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:34 PM »
For 28 years my wife and I have done everything together, Hunt, fish, shop, you name it. I cannot imagine her not being by my side. 

Pretty well sums it up for me also.

Here are a couple of things my wife really enjoys. One is having an underwater camera, she likes this better than having her own locator. She really likes panning around seeing what might be watching ;D

She really gets a kick out of shallow water sight fishing. Especially if we are after perch or crappies so large schools move through. She has spent hours with me in a dark house and actually some days I have been ready to leave long before her.

I have never taken fishing as anything other than fun. I had a buddy who would jump down his wives throat if he thought she did something wrong and muffed a bite. My wife and I spend most of the time just enjoying the views, the scenery, and each others company. She is also pretty dang good at filleting a bucket full of fish.

WS

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:39 PM »
My wife started ice fishing with me this year, like TTI said, make sure they stay warm. The first time out she wore my gear that keeps me toasty and she got a lil chilly.... we went out that night and got her warm gear to wear and she is fine now. I have a 2 person flip over and take the buddy heater just incase it gets colder while we're out. She loves it.... she has even picked different lakes to go try out.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline lakerladyvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Interesting to see your post...I'm a newbie! Been a few times and I am hooked!  I am a new member to this site as well & enjoying all this info you all have been posting!  To respond to your post (based on my experience) ... Patience!  I have a great boyfriend that has the patience of teaching me, giving me tricks & tips without making me feel inadequate.  For myself I wanted to ice fish for years and for all of us ladies who want to try something new that typically is a male generated sport its pretty empowering for us to say the least to know we can fish with the best of them especially when we hook onto an awesome fish.  Give her encouragement and keep her warm! And be proud of her even if she doesn't catch anything cause if ya want her to come back fishing with you....you gotta let her know!  Once again, great topic and wish you luck on getting her hooked!  ;D

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Interesting to see your post...I'm a newbie! Been a few times and I am hooked!  I am a new member to this site as well & enjoying all this info you all have been posting!  To respond to your post (based on my experience) ... Patience!  I have a great boyfriend that has the patience of teaching me, giving me tricks & tips without making me feel inadequate.  For myself I wanted to ice fish for years and for all of us ladies who want to try something new that typically is a male generated sport its pretty empowering for us to say the least to know we can fish with the best of them especially when we hook onto an awesome fish.  Give her encouragement and keep her warm! And be proud of her even if she doesn't catch anything cause if ya want her to come back fishing with you....you gotta let her know!  Once again, great topic and wish you luck on getting her hooked!  ;D

There you have it. She put into words everything you need to know. Ask a question about a woman and it takes a woman to answer. THANK YOU lakerladyvt I bet you helped a lot more men that you will ever know with your advice.  Steve

Offline kris127

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2014, 03:20 PM »
i think i just lucked out, mine helps me load up all the gear and prepare all the food and then its a race to the truck....she still thinks its funny she can outfish me and im the guy with the flasher!! its all good!!

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:25 PM »
In the area I'm in, they have yearly women's classes for outdoor activities. Maybe look around and see if you can find something like that? She might be more comfortable going out and learning from a bunch of like minded women initially?

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:34 PM »
My wife joins me from time to time.  She doesn't fish, but if it's a nice, sunny day on the warmer side and not too windy she likes to bring the folding lounge chair and lay in the sun, read or just hang around and chat.  Sometimes she comes out for an hour or so and others she's there most of the day if it's really nice. 

I doubt I'd get her to come out on a blustery cold, or cloudy day or that I could get her to sit in a shanty all day, but good weather will get her out there.

Pretty much the same thing in open water season.  She'll lay out in the boat and nap or read while I fish.  I was actually able to talk her into us buying a bigger boat last year to give her more room to stretch out.  The old boat was kind of uncomfortable for her, so it was an easy sell.
"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Carefull what you wish for .

luv2fish2

« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:55 PM »
i love to hear all about everybody taking their ladies mine goes when i can take her absolutely love it when she goes . my advice is encourage her don't overly try to help let her pic her lure and get her involved from beginning to end even if it's just a question about lunch/ snacks

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Thanks I am going to start by finding some warm Clothes .  I know I had a Ider  down parka that would fit her It was My dads and she is only a bit taller then he was.  I may get her to try it on and Bribe her with a short trip followed by a night out as a thankyou for giving it a try.   
 Also   I have heard that a Snowy Owl is in residence on frenchmans Bay and the chance to see her faverite animal may get her out to the Hub..  Thanks allot , All .

The Cold advice is so true isn't that why we get the cold feet in bed ?   

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2014, 05:43 AM »
My wife is my best icefishing partner. We have a hub for her to sit in.  SHe has a quad chair to sit on, a mr. buddy heater, her ipod and magazine. We also bring a 5 gal. bucket for her to use for bathroom facility.  She has her own icefishing suit too.   Keep her warm, comfortable and happy and she'll enjoy coming out fishing with you.   ;D

P.S. we also go out to dinner at a different restraunt after each icefishing trip.  That makes her happy too.  ;D

There needs to be more men out there like you!  ;D

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2014, 05:51 AM »
All excellent advice guys. I never knew so many men truly enjoyed having their wives/girlfriends as their fishing partner.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I also take my wife with she has her own flasher, pink poles and cold weather gear and drags along whatever she thinks she needs for the day, and shes happy as long as she gets to catch a few even if theyre just small gills

Offline icefishnrancher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch, the only white meat!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:35 PM »
my wife loves to go, but since we haven't got a shelter(yet) she only goes when the weather is decent=

unlike this afternoon when the weather turned to crap on us  :%$#!:=

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:25 AM »
my wife loves to go, but since we haven't got a shelter(yet) she only goes when the weather is decent=

unlike this afternoon when the weather turned to crap on us  :%$#!:=

First Pic  This is how it is done .. The Coffee and the dog and sitting on a Bucket and the second ,Only a women with such a smile can make the snow gear   look so good. Pure Mona Lisa Smile .. 

You are A Lucky One ..

Offline G3llis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:45 AM »
As a cold running woman never under estimate the power of warm boots. I ice fish with my dad a lot and he has no problem staying of the ice all day long when we are catching fish. No matter how many fish we are catching the second my feet get to a frosty level I am ready to head home. I have taken a couple of my girlfriends ice fishing and we are all happy and good until someone gets frozen feet and then it is time to pack up and go. Warm clothes is super important but to me warm boots is the MOST important. Hopefully you are able to get your wife out with you ice fishing and she gets has a great time and gets hooked :) good luck!

Offline Icehouse89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:28 PM »
This was our first year out on the ice(my girlfriends first time really fishing) and we are hooked. I put her first when we're on the ice; making sure she's warm, drilling the holes, baiting her hook etc. Keeping them entertained is key. She's a pro at using the flasher and most of the time I'll just dead stick a few poles so I can sit by her and watch her fish. I personally may not catch as many fish when she's with me, but watching her pull in fish is just as good  ;D

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Tried to get my wife out and she's not interested. Of course she knits like a pro and doesn't try to get me to do that either. We have a great relationship and we just respect each others fun stuff to do. I fish and don't pester her to much to go with me. My kiddos love to go though and that's probably even more important.  Should try a summer fish camp up north. Book, wine and a pole and then she might be more interested! ;D
http://

Offline Ross Lake Camps

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2014, 10:22 PM »
2 prong approach is key.  As mentioned in length previously...Promise to keep her warm, especially the feet and hands.  Boots are the most important link.  Second is too get her and keep her involved.  Most women that do want to try have a great desire to get involved, but they don't want to be made to feel in the way or unintelligent because they don't have the knowledge.  Get her involved with hands on with setting traps.  Show her how to put the bait on the hook and explain why you do it that way.  Let her drive the snowmobile or wheeler and have some fun.  Even show her how to use the augur if she's not afraid of it.  You might have to give up a turn or two on the lines yourself, but put her in the action and let her feel the excitement of landing the fish.  Keep her in the action.  Start out on a body of water that will yield a lot of flags and fish, even if they aren't the biggest, to start with and then work up with her until she's drooling over the big catch.  Girls can be hooked just like a fish can, they just need to be given a reasonable chance to get involved.  If she goes a time or two and doesn't get into it, well hey, at least she tried to come out and enjoy your hobby with you.  Most guys like to have a few beers out on the ice...a lot of the ladies will want to join in that fun as well.  Remember that it isn't quite as easy for a girl to answer calls of nature as it is for you guys.  There are a few simple things that can help with these problems.  There is a little device on the market these days called a "Go Girl"  I will leave most of it to your imagination, but it is a female urination aid that makes things a lot easier on us girls.  It is a $10 item that I've seen for sale in Gander Mountain Stores and some Walmarts.  Google it, I'm sure you'll find it.  If you have a hard side shack or a pop up,  excuse yourself once in a while with the known intent that you are giving her a chance at some privacy to take care of business.  Lastly, if you hit bad weather, don't torture her.  If the fish are biting, you might just find that she wants to stay, but if it's a slow action day, and you're getting blown out, rained on, or caught in a blizzard you probably want to pack it in rather than show her the hard side of fishing until she's seasoned a bit.  Dinner in a warm spot whether it's a nice steak restaurant or her favorite bar and grill after the trip will always make a nice end to the day as well.  Good Luck and Have Fun  :tipup: - Andrea

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Quote from: icefishnrancher
[URL=http://s891.photobucket.com/user/iamkimiam/media/586cfdd7-0f89-4b4e-8223-459f11446801.jpg.html
(Image removed from quote.)[/URL]
This is an awesome picture.

For me, it is all about her, when I get my wife to go fishing with me.
She is pretty accomplished when it comes to catching fish, and I do everything I can to make sure it is enjoyable for her.
Pretty much all of the important points have been covered here.
Make it fun and it will take its course.
If you are lucky, she just may turn out to be your favorite fishing partner
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2014, 12:36 AM »
This is my wife's idea of ice fishing

Its not much different from her preferred method of open water fishing

"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Thank You Andrea for the Go Girl Idea even If No Ice Fishing we do camp in a Pop up with No Head and I am sure she would appreciate an Option in the rain or at 3AM so I will find and get one of these anyway.. 

I may add my Wife has an Inner ear disorder so she has a balance issue that at times gets her down I imagine like any problem would.  So I am Hoping to get her to Orangeville, short walk and nice clean heated Bathrooms with sinks and all as a start.  She Liked Fishing for pond trout . We have one 14 Klm away and after we caught two We would go Home and I would BBQ them for Lunch Often before I went to work at 2:00 ...   My Wife is Half Newfoundlander so Fish Is An easy sell in the eat department.. Trout only at the moment , lakers included .. 

This Topic has legs and It is interesting that I read  Women Amazed that Men do really like the company of their Wives.. Ladies, we do marry them for a reason, and yes My wife is my Best friend Regardless of if she takes up Ice Fishing, my main reason for wishing her to " Give it a Try " is she may like it and end up asking me when we are going next.   That would means I go without the I am Leaving My best friend at home Feeling..   

the Pics of Mr Brians Wife reading could be Mine in camp with her E-Book the routine . Breakfest Coffee ,Book , Lunch ,, Swim , Hottub, Book , Book swim,  Dinner, campfire Book Sleep ..  Mixed in with sightseeing ..  I am very interested in getting a passport so I can Visit Port Huron when I camp in Sarnia Area .  I have not been US since 911 happened and the Border got so hard to cross.  Of course we have to be careful , but when all I needed was a Birth Cert and Drivers Licence I would trip down there, just for a nice ride..

P.S I love the Quotes Under The Posting My New Favorite   

"  If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough."  That is so True.... 

Offline Ross Lake Camps

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:53 PM »
You're very welcome spuds. I'm not going to lie,  I'm a bit more advanced than most women you will find since I am a guide, but it was not always that way. When Don was breaking me in he was sure to let me take plenty of flags, quick to praise me when I was doing a good job landing and handling fish, and also quick to let me know when I was fu...ng up. I have a compulsive competitive side, so I always strive to conquer challenges. Don throws things at me and sees how fast I can learn the art, but he also knows I like it that way and I'm not afraid to tell him when I have a circumstance we need to work around. We are best friends that hunt and fish together all over the country, so understanding and adaptation are the key to sharing your favorite hobbies with your best friend of the opposite sex.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2014, 02:50 AM »
Twisted tea gets my girl on the ice.  I've since stopped buying it as she beats me every time.

j/k keep her warm and on fish even if they're small is my number 1 piece of advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.