Author Topic: Swivel vs no swivel  (Read 2969 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Swivel vs no swivel
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:08 AM »
Actually crane and diamond eye are different. By design knots don't slide on a diamond eye.

Crane refers to the "middle" part that swivels, diamond eye is the eye you are trying to. Mustad Diamond Eye are crane swivels with a different style of eye.

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:19 PM »
I am very picky about knots, I have done many seminars on them, been paid to tie IGFA leaders, built, and used knot breaking machines, guided for over 3 decades, and in the end, In My Humble Opinion, most line to line knots, even if they test well to start, lose too much strength with use. I know many good anglers that are just fine with line-to-line knots, I do not and I have fished with many good anglers that have lost good fish to line-to-line knots, I have not. Swivels, Tippet Rings, and Wind-On leaders all test out stronger and last longer than Line-to-Line knots, and that is what I will keep using. When I am fighting a big fish (I always try to plan on getting a trophy) I know I can "put the screws" to that fish because I know my knots will hold.
Here is a fish (Bluefin Tuna that can swim 60 miles hour) I landed in 25 minutes with the fish weight, twice that of the line;
(Image removed from quote.)

If you are happy with line-to-line knots that is just fine and I wish you luck! The day you hook the fish of a lifetime, I hope it does not fail, for me, I want to know it will not fail...

Do you use the tipit rings and wind on leaders for ice fishing or on open water? and if so how? what is the connection to the main line? 
I have used them for fly fishing, but never for anything else.  This is very interesting.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12:03 AM »
Tiny tippet ring (2mm) for a panfish outfit that has braid, then flouro. The Wind-On (20lb Sufix) I use on a conventual rod for lakers, it's the same reel and line I use in open water for Lakers and Fluke on the salt. Like with any outfit on the ice, if it is too cold the braid starts to freeze. With both the ring and the Wind-on I make a Bimini on the braid end and loop on the ring or Wind-On, overkill, but I get to tie it and forget it as it is stronger than the line is and often lasts for years...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12:19 AM »
I am very picky about knots, I have done many seminars on them, been paid to tie IGFA leaders, built, and used knot breaking machines, guided for over 3 decades, and in the end, In My Humble Opinion, most line to line knots, even if they test well to start, lose too much strength with use. I know many good anglers that are just fine with line-to-line knots, I do not and I have fished with many good anglers that have lost good fish to line-to-line knots, I have not. Swivels, Tippet Rings, and Wind-On leaders all test out stronger and last longer than Line-to-Line knots, and that is what I will keep using. When I am fighting a big fish (I always try to plan on getting a trophy) I know I can "put the screws" to that fish because I know my knots will hold.
Here is a fish (Bluefin Tuna that can swim 60 miles hour) I landed in 25 minutes with the fish weight, twice that of the line;
(Image removed from quote.)

If you are happy with line-to-line knots that is just fine and I wish you luck! The day you hook the fish of a lifetime, I hope it does not fail, for me, I want to know it will not fail...

Interesting. I've used a few spro swivels. Very good and very expensive. The fishing you seem to do is worlds apart from the freshwater stuff I seem to be catching.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I never have the uni-uni Connection break its always the line on the back end of the swivel. on a few of my open water rods I run braid then uni to uni knot then about 3 ft of fluro carbon to my cranks. when I drag spinners I usually put a swivel between the fluro leader and the fluro spinner rig line. I tie a palmor knot on both sides. I get very few failures. when I do it is always the back side of the swivel where it breaks. My bottom bounce slides on the front side of the swivel.......looking for thoughts.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2022, 04:49 AM »
On my tip-ups I use a small barrel swivel to a short leader, another thing that gets overlooked is just like many things in life you get what you pay for. A higher quality swivel like a Spro/Sampo vs. a Eagle Claw/Bass Pro you will see a noticeable difference in performance depending on use.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2022, 06:18 AM »
I get very few failures. when I do it is always the back side of the swivel where it breaks.

Are you talking about the braid to swivel knot? If you are using a Palamar Knot (great knot) for the braid side try a Double Palamar (through twice in the overhand stage of the knot) strengthens it (just braid, not mono or flouro) a great deal, especially with "shock".

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:36 PM »
Are you talking about the braid to swivel knot? If you are using a Palamar Knot (great knot) for the braid side try a Double Palamar (through twice in the overhand stage of the knot) strengthens it (just braid, not mono or flouro) a great deal, especially with "shock".

No.

With zebra mussles the water is crystal clear.

So my setup is braid uni to uni knot fluro leader palmer knot swivel Palmer knot fluro line spinner rig for walleye.

Spinner rig fluro line is 5# heavier then main line to help with abrasion. Line break between fluro spinner rig line and swivel.

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:50 PM »
Strippernut, Thanks for the explanation.

helps a lot.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.