Author Topic: Humminbird helix 5 or lowrance elite 5 TI  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird helix 5 or lowrance elite 5 TI
« on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:10 PM »
I'm looking to get a side imaging sonar for use on the boat, and both look pretty good for about the same price, but the deciding factor at the moment is the ice fishing performance. I wasn't too happy with my elite 4 chirp, as it would start to lose my jig after about 15 feet in semi-clear water. In some water, it would lose the jig after 8 feet or so. The big question is would the helix 5 lose it at about 15 foot as well? The elite 5 ti runs the same ducer as the elite 4 chirp, so I doubt there will be much difference there, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Humminbird helix 5 or lowrance elite 5 TI
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:33 PM »
I bought the helix 7 but got it too late for ice fishing and do not have ice ducer but had it in 126 foot and it seen the down riggers ball and the bottom bouncer below that easily. Like it so far.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2018, 11:50 AM »
with the iceducer on the Helix, you should have no problems seeing a jig at 25-30.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2018, 12:19 PM »
That helix 5 is small, if I were you I would save up and at least get a Helix 7.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2018, 12:39 PM »
That helix 5 is small, if I were you I would save up and at least get a Helix 7.

I agree. My advice is go with the biggest screen you can fit and afford. My thoughts are that a 7" is the minimum size when you use SI. A 9 or 10 inch screen will make you happier.  There is just too much info and details to be looking at on a small screen.

I use a Helix 5 for my kayak and ice fishing. It works for those purposes but no way I would go smaller than 7" on a boat.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Big is best, I had zero issues picking up my jig and fish at 20 ft. using my 7.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I will probably get the 7 si and ice pack for it.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Consider the Lowrance hook2 tripleshot series.  They're essentially the same unit at the Elite Ti minus touch screen, and significantly less money.  The 7" goes for 599 and the 5 inch for 399.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:18 PM »
If you are losing your jig in that shallow of water on your Lowrance, I would say you have a bad transducer. If you have a buddy that also has a Lowrance ice transducer I would see if they will let you borrow it or give them yours and see if they have the same issues. The reason I say this is because I was having the same issue and come to find out, I had a bad transducer. Luckily it was under warranty so I got it replaced for free. Once I had the new transducer, I didn't have any problem seeing my jig in 30 ft of water. In fact I could usually tell when a fish would steal my waxie because the signal of the jig would change. As for your question- the only reason I would go for the HB would be if you got the one with the self mapping feature and like the others have said I would go with a 7" min. if possible for the side imaging.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:52 PM »
The self mapping feature was also a big selling point, as I fish a handful of unmapped resivors, as well as having notifications show up on screen, cause I have about lost my phone down the hole, so I think I'm set on the bird, but I will have to toy around with all of them at scheels and BPS
Thanks for all the replies.
-Johnny Cash

Offline jamesadams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 05:27 AM »
Big is best, I had zero issues picking up my jig and fish at 20 ft. using my 7.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yes you are right. I also have a same fishfinder which i think perfect for ice fishing.
Fishing expert in USA

Offline iceislife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I can say I bought the helix 5 for my son to use and I don’t like it. Screen is too small and bad target separation. Just my opinion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.