Author Topic: Beaver Dam Titanium Tip-Stick  (Read 6967 times)

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
Beaver Dam Titanium Tip-Stick
« on: Oct 08, 2014, 06:35 PM »
I see Beaver Dam has a jigging rod out that has a retractable spring bobber build in the the tip of the rod. Anybody see or get a chance to handle one?  Just wondering if they are a quality blank or if if they feel kinda cheesy...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Beaver Dam Titanium Tip-Stick
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I have not handled one, but they look solid. I'm not a fan of spring bobbers, but that looks like one of the best ones I have seen. I'm not too keen on the internal rattles though. I don't see why they would do that. It sounds like a gimmick just to set them apart from the rest. The price seems about right. Cabela's has them for $35.
-Tom

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:00 AM »
Just saw the video of it on their Facebook page....was going to post it but I'm not joining facebook.
Looks nice, just wonder how long that spring bobber will last or begin sliding out after wear? ....Nice feature.
Rattles in the handle to telegraph noise thru the line to jig as an attractor....interesti ng.
Think I'll wait on this one for reviews.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Hope it's not a great company using their name to sell crap.   

Offline ice idiot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:47 PM »
I got to handle one at ICAST back in July. They seem to be petty good quality actually, and the spring bobber has some special stops that hold it all the way in or all the way out, but slides freely in between. Kinda cool. I haven't seen them in stores yet, but I will get a couple for sure.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Didn't see the spring bobber rod today but Farm and Fleet here in town has the noodle rod and graphite rod - both look very nice. The reels, however, were junk

Catchin' Fish

Offline coldlove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Have not held the Beaver Dam version but I have some original hand made versions by the guy who owns the patent.  I will say that if the manufactured ones work as well as the homemade ones then these are a killer deal!!  I should be getting my hands on a few of soon.   PM me and I can send you pictures of the home made ones I have and tell you more about it.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Have not held the Beaver Dam version but I have some original hand made versions by the guy who owns the patent.  I will say that if the manufactured ones work as well as the homemade ones then these are a killer deal!!  I should be getting my hands on a few of soon.   PM me and I can send you pictures of the home made ones I have and tell you more about it.
Please update your profile with your location, and welcome to the Shanty!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Took a gander at the spring bobber rods today, they have a lot of backbone and a slower action than i'd expect....the spring bobber is nicely made

Catchin' Fish

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:01 PM »
The rod is average, not bad, but not great. I do not like the fact that they put an actually rod guide on the end of the titanium spring. It's way to heavy for the spring. I wouldn't spend money on it just for that fact.  If you cut the heavy guide off and wrapped on a light fly guide or recoil guide, then it would be 100 times better.  I told the vendors this same thing at our wholesale show a few weeks ago.

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Sorry this is so long overdue, but I really like the rod a lot.  And here's why: yes, the tip is heavy and has a heavy guide on it, but I'm not using it as a dead stick the way you'd think of a typical spring bobber.  Because its heavier, I like to use it to twitch and undulate my crappie jigs.  The heavier jigs and smaller spoons behave totally different when slowly dipped and jigged on this rod.  That titanium 'wire' on the end does something different with your lure, and I know its true because I jigged the same lure on the same line with the tip stick and a Jason Mitchell meat stick and watched the difference on my Aqua-Vu.  It's a great tool, some days the crappie liked the tip stick rod's action better, some days the traditional Mitchell rod got more fish.  You can also alter the lure's undulation by how far the tip is pulled out, just need to experiment for the given day and situation you're fishing.  Like any lure or technique, it's a tool and it has it's place, and will always be in my shanty.

Offline redwing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:26 AM »
i'm trying to contact coldlove. i'm trying to purchase rod blanks with the titanium spring bobber in them and saw that he knows the guy who has the patent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.