Author Topic: Best thermal underwear?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline blackbird86

• IceShanty Rookie
Best thermal underwear?
« on: Sep 14, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Was thinkin patagonia thermal weight merino wool thermal underwear or under armour extreme base layer. Which is better? Why? Or is there a better option out there?

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best thermal underwear?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Both will keep you warm, I personally would go with merino over poly but it is generally more expensive. IMHO wool is the best insulator, keeps warm when wet, merino is naturally moisture wicking. Yes poly does a lot of the same its true. Generally Merino wool is known for keeping you comfortable on warm and cold days while not retaining odors after washing like poly is known to do. Idk if that helps you out but that is my $0.02 Cheers!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2016, 09:08 AM »
I love my merino wool. A good thing about wool is that when it gets wet it actually gets warmer. Most of my wool is a mid layer, I wear under armor then wool and then a wind blocker. The problem I always had with poly is if you accidentally dry it on a warm to hot setting it can tend to shrink. Happened to a couple sets of poly thermals and then I tried some merino wool and never looked back!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2016, 11:24 AM »
It's hard to say what the "best" are. There are a bunch of manufacturers that make merino wool wear. Many are good, many are better or not. Basically, I bet you get what you pay for. They look good and have a good name. Check out any reviews if possible and then give them a try. If you like them remember to write a review here so we know if they are good or not!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2016, 02:40 PM »
So far, and I've tried just about all of them, has been Base 4.0 by Under Armor. I can usually get away with just the 4.0 and my Striker suit.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:23 AM »
Polar Tech ECWS. Pick your thickness based on your need. I have found that I have never been cold in the Expedition weight and they wick good too.

J-

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2016, 04:34 AM »
I like the original version of the Duo-Fold line but since they don't make them in tall anymore they managed to get themselves taken off the list.  I saw that L.L. Bean is making their own version which is basically the same as the original Duo-Fold and I'm going to give them a try.  I've also heard that the Under Armor Cold Gear is really good but I haven't tried that yet.  If it works as well as their Heat Great it will definitely be top notch and probably be my new favorite.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I am allergic to wool products. Under Armor 4.0 gets the nod.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2016, 07:00 AM »
I like the original version of the Duo-Fold line but since they don't make them in tall anymore they managed to get themselves taken off the list.  I saw that L.L. Bean is making their own version which is basically the same as the original Duo-Fold and I'm going to give them a try.  I've also heard that the Under Armor Cold Gear is really good but I haven't tried that yet.  If it works as well as their Heat Great it will definitely be top notch and probably be my new favorite.
I have used UA ColdGear for the [past 4 years and have no problems. I don't like the super tight fit so I go next size larger. works great. I have 3 sets so that I always have a pr available.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2016, 12:15 AM »
UA Cold Gear Infrared here..........Warmest stuff I've ever owned !!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:52 PM »
I like the Patagonia Capilene polyester lightweight base layer. It seems to wick moisture better than the merino wool. My outer layer is uninsulated gore-tex bibs and jacket. I use as many layers of various weight fleece as needed for mid layers. In the course of many winters working outside in temperatures down to -40 with wind chills down to -70 I have not found a better system. Wool is great for socks and hats but synthetics are superior for the rest of the body.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:10 PM »
I refuse to buy UnderArmor, so I wear wool.  The last few I purchased was Minus 33 merino wool.  They have three different thicknesses of the wool and multiple combinations of tops with turtle neck, zipper, etc.  Even make Tall sizes now too.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.