Author Topic: overnight cusk lines  (Read 2835 times)

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
overnight cusk lines
« on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:43 PM »
hey everyone. I am fishing this saturday, but friday, after school I want to go down to the lake and put some lines on the bottom for cusk. I havn't ever done this before, and would love some pointers on what to do.

-do I use regular ice traps?

-how do I keep my trap frome becoming and ice-cicle?

-what do cusk eat?

and anything else to save me a few minutes of explosive anger haha

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: overnight cusk lines
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Fishingonly, a regular tip-up or jigging rod in a holder will work well. Make sure you keep checking your traps and cleaning out the ice with the scoop. The burbot eat fish, crayfish even an occasional frog. The best bait I have found for them is similar to a pike something that really oily, smelt or ciscos/tullibee in the 4-6inch range would be a good start. :)
Set your bait 6 inches off the bottom. Like others on here have mentoned glow bead or jig head are great to use for burbot and be-careful they will often just sit and chew on the lure and not set off your tip-up you go to look and get the flag in the face, Ouch, that stings on a cold night.  >:(
Mid February to late March is when they spawn. They move into the shallows at night so the shallows or the transition zone between the shallows and the deep water is a good place to find them.
Good luck they are fun to catch and usually fight in a circle all the way up to the hole, watch they don' cut your line this way. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.