Author Topic: Thank You Dad(s)  (Read 1436 times)

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank You Dad(s)
« on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I got a phone call from my sister on Friday evening that it was about time for us to get down to North Carolina to say "goodbye" to my father, perhaps for the last time. My father has had a bunch of health issues over the last handful of years so this has been coming for a while. My sister and I flew down yesterday morning, spent the afternoon with he and my stepmother and we were both back home around 10 last night.

It was very nice to be there for him and for her especially, and very emotional as we left. Thankfully he was coherent enough to refer to me as "son" and to say "I love you Meghan" to my sister. We're not sure as to where or how fast things will go from here but it seems like he is at a point where his health has deteriorated to a level where there isn't much else that can be done. I don't have the ability to fly down to North Carolina regularly with a career, a wife, a stepdaughter and a son of my own so I'm glad possibly my last words to him were spoken in person, while hugging him the way my son hugs me. It meant a lot to me and hopefully he was able to feel it too.

I know this isn't a fishing-related post for the most part, but he was the man who introduced me to the sport. I have lots of fond memories of him taking me trout fishing at the Fin, Fur and Feather's ponds to learn to cast, set the hook and reel in a fish, largemouth fishing at Moodus and Red Cedar Lake in my teens in a green plastic Crawdad jon boat and the occasional charter for stripers and blues out to the Race.

Just wanted to use this opportunity to say "thanks" to all the Dads on here for all you do for everyone in your lives everyday, especially your kids. You all wear a million hats and sometimes it seems like as much as you do, it's never enough. But trust me; what you do matters to your kids, wives, friends and co-workers. In between the getting in trouble, not listening and straight-up indifference we receive as parents, your kids WANT and NEED you a ton. You don't have to be perfect; you can make mistakes as a parent, lose your temper and struggle with your own stuff. It's ok; just keep showing up as you.

Thank you Dad(s),

-Eric

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thank You Dad(s)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Sorry to hear this Eric, I wish the best for you and your family. Thank you for a thoughtful and well written post.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:16 PM »
That's rough.  :'(

My grandfather passed away a little over a year ago now. I'm glad I saw him that last Christmas, he was having a good day, he was almost his old self (and he had not been well for a long time, even before he had broken his hip for the second time he had not been doing very well for a few years before that). He was coherent and laughing at jokes, watching the great-grandkids running around. We all knew the end was coming so it was good to have a good bye like that, because less than two weeks later he was gone. Not everyone gets to have that.

Remember the good stuff and tight lines.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Well written I hope t he pike gods are with you bud.itts never a good day to loose a loved one but t here is always a sign I belive

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Unfortunately it is something we all have to go thru. All you can do is remember the good times. Nobody can take those memories away from you.
My prayers are with you and your family.
MA

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:42 AM »
Hope everything turns out ok , my prayers go out to you and your family.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:59 AM »
Hang in there Eric,  It is a pain full process.  I'm sorry for what your going through.  Sounds Like you have a good head on your shoulders and good family as well.   I lost my father , my grandfather and I had a son all within 2 months of each other.  Talk about a mix of emotions.  It's funny how these things change our outlook on life and how we live.  Keep your chin up, friends and family close and of course keep fishing.....
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:00 AM »
So sorry to hear, brother.  Awful.
My mission is goin' fishin'.

Offline BigCountry17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Sorry to hear about whats going on....I appreciate your post and send my best to you and your family.....

Velcro, my grandfather past away a year ago this month as well and I still use his 1960's camo flip seat that he shot a buck shot thru when his shotgun fell.....Last time I was using it a buddy of mine offered me a chair with a back to it...I said I cant man and he understood that I am dedicated to my stuff, even if my back is smocked by the end of the day.....I am sure my grandfather is saying "You stupid Arse!" get a real chair hahaha
Tight Lines...Grill Going...Beer In Hand....Life is Good!

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Although death is part of life it is never easy to deal with and accept. I lost both my parents at a somewhat early age and a day doesn't go by that I don't think about them. The difference now is that I can reminisce and smile without as much pain. The "flesh" heals but the scars never go away...

I think back to when my kids were young and some of the best memories I have with both of them was taking them fishing and teaching them how.

My daughter is now out of college and my son is a sophomore in college...time fly's

Eric, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now and I am soooooo glad you had the chance to hug your dad one more time; something I'm sure everyone would love to do with someone that they love. And I'm sure he feels the same way...

Hang in there and God Bless!!!

Bob
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Eric you're one of the best Dad's I know.  Your old man clearly rubbed off on you and you've certainly helped me become a better father as well.  Your a great friend and I am certain that your Dad will always be watching, and most certainly, will always be proud.  Henry is lucky to have you and its great to see how many here care enough to post. 

We'll get after pike soon.  Very sorry for your loss.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:03 PM »
it's the circle of life man..you had an chance to say good bye or at least let your dad see his kids and smile. Well done man cause alot of peeps miss that shot and then regret...All the best to you and the fam. and i'm sure he will be in your thoughts with a tight line while fishin

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Touching post man...

Thanks for taking the time..

Your dad will always be proud of you...

<°)))>{

Offline Markfish7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:55 AM »
Sorry to hear bout your dad but I was always taught people only die when the memories of them disappear.. as long as you continue to tell his story he will never be dead.. so continue to stay strong and think about all the good he's done for you and other people around him  and he will live forever

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Thank you all very much for the kind words and a HUGE thank you to YOU for what you do everyday for everyone in your lives.

-Eric

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:00 AM »
"Sorry to hear bout your dad but I was always taught people only die when the memories of them disappear.. as long as you continue to tell his story he will never be dead.. so continue to stay strong and think about all the good he's done for you and other people around him  and he will live forever"
wow ever so true, always tough to lose someone close. I dont think we ever get over it,  memories last forever, sorry for your loss

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about whats going on....I appreciate your post and send my best to you and your family.....

Velcro, my grandfather past away a year ago this month as well and I still use his 1960's camo flip seat that he shot a buck shot thru when his shotgun fell.....Last time I was using it a buddy of mine offered me a chair with a back to it...I said I cant man and he understood that I am dedicated to my stuff, even if my back is smocked by the end of the day.....I am sure my grandfather is saying "You stupid Arse!" get a real chair hahaha

As far as I know my grandfather wasn't into fishing, but I have inherited quite a few things from him. Been wearing his old slippers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.