Author Topic: Smitty Has A Kidney Stone  (Read 4529 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Smitty Has A Kidney Stone
« on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Ouch.....since Thursday at the ER....5mm in size they say....10mm & up they break up...so I have to pass this one...
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smitty Has A Kidney Stone
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:28 PM »
That sucks, good luck to ya
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Hang in there!!  :flex:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Ouch.....since Thursday at the ER

Had one several years ago. They say the pain is comparable to a woman giving birth...they have my sympathy.Good luck Smitty
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:18 PM »
A buddy had one recently, thought he was dying, after it got through the painful stage all is well. Good luck, you should be good as new shortly!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Smitty0312 may you pass the stone/stones soon my Brother in law has dealt with kidney stones not a good experience for anyone.
Steve

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Been dealing with kidney stones since I was 21 years old (37 now). I reduce my likelihood of stones by drinking lots of water about 3/4-1 gallon per day and stay away from energy drinks and only 1 or 2 soda pops per day. Stones hurt bad. So the incentive to follow a good regimen is built right in.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Had one several years ago. They say the pain is comparable to a woman giving birth...they have my sympathy.Good luck Smitty

My aunt had both of her kids without any drugs and she's had kidney stones.  She'd rather give birth once a month than have another kidney stone. 

I had one a few years ago that needed surgery. If it was condensed into one solid mass it would've been the size of a racquetball.  My right kidney was only functioning at 5% volume because of it. When I finally went in and got it checked out I was transported an hour away by ambulance because the ER where I went was not equipped to handle one like that.  The urologist who did the surgery said that in his 30+ years of being in the field he had never seen one like mine.  It made me feel special. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Have a fast recovery.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:17 AM »
I understand completely, had my first one back in 2007. Had 5 from September 2017-March of 2018. Of the 6 only passed 1, the other 5 had to be removed. The surgeries were not that bad but the 2-3 week recovery time after the fact is not a fun. I hope you get this behind you soon.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:33 AM »
I have them for the last 10 years, use to drink a gallon of turkey hill ice tea a day. Wife said that was it so I stopped. I drink lots of water, haven't had one in 2yrs. Thank God pain is unreal! Guy I work with said if u feel one comming on drink a couple of cups of hot black coffee, I tried it it worked the last time. I would rather get kicked in the nuts with steel toe shoes that have that pain!! Lol

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Sure glad I haven't ever had one. I drink Water all day long and 4 cups of coffee.  Wife had one so bad they had to lazer it into smaller pieces. Her back was totally bruised from that alone.
<===Lefty===

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:00 AM »
My wife has had 8 stones in the last year and she says she would rather give birth. She was unable to pass any of them surgery every time. Hers are caused by salt. She drinks lots of water and no salt in her diet. Good luck smitty hope for a fast recovery.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Just had one kicking my butt 2 weeks ago. :%$#!: I get one every few years. Best advice given here is drink a lot of water.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:38 AM »

Yeah, it's similar to childbirth with one BIG exception....After awhile, a woman may want to have another child, but you'd NEVER find another person saying they'd like to have another kidney stone!!!

Good luck, and as the saying goes "This too shall pass!"
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:51 AM »
I've felt your pain Smitty, best wishes.
I've had a few, passed some, other one was surgically removed.
They say for a man to pass a stone is one of the 10 worst "natural' pains we can have.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Bummer. I've made stones my whole life. I hope you pass it quick. Get a case of your favorite beer and have at it! The more beer you drink the faster it'll pass!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Had them myself.  Not fun!  From what I am told the painful part is the stone going through the ureter from your kidney to your bladder.  I wasnt able to catch my stones in the strainer but man did that hurt.  I thought I was dying.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:28 PM »
They say for a man to pass a stone is one of the 10 worst "natural' pains we can have.

I’m curious...what were the other 9? 

There are two types of kidney stones. The one that is more uncommon is brought on by eating foods like dairy and red meat. To reduce the likelihood of getting that type you would cut those things out of your diet. I told my doctor that if that’s the type I had he might as well grab a gun and fire a round through my head.  The other more common type can be broken down by consuming things high in citric acid. Inactivity also brings these things on and I had issues with mine when I was working a desk job. Now that I’m not I haven’t had the slightest inkling of one. Prior to needing surgery I can say that in hindsight I’ve probably had others that were not diagnosed.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Ouch.....since Thursday at the ER....5mm in size they say....10mm & up they break up...so I have to pass this one...

Been there, do that about 5-10 times a year! drink lots of water.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:58 PM »
When pain makes you puke....it’s bad....had one years ago...none since. Praying for you brother.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2019, 04:29 AM »
Another case where size matters..........   Had one a few years ago surgically removed.  Don't want another.  Hope you get relief soon!

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I have a friend that had one. He likened it to tieing a line to a treble hook and pulling it out your junk.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Yeah, it's similar to childbirth with one BIG exception....After awhile, a woman may want to have another child, but you'd NEVER find another person saying they'd like to have another kidney stone!!!

Good luck, and as the saying goes "This too shall pass!"
Haven't had one in 10 years self inflicted by drinking coffee all day and no water. Sure makes your eyes water. 12 on the 1 to 10 scale. Get well soon.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:02 AM »
So sorry to hear.

I clicked on this expecting Smitty to have a humorous story and to have developed some new way to pass the stone (some new genius that gave birth to the Smitty sled).

Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:27 PM »
I’m curious...what were the other 9? 

I Googled something like "10 worst natural pains list"  but the link is full of click bait trash and didn't want to link it here..."gonadal torsion" was one of the others...

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Oh man, hope it goes quick.  Reading these stories makes me cringe.  Late 20's and haven't had one yet, hoping I never do.  I don't drink as much water daily as I should be, but also only drink a couple of pops/month, no energy drinks. Also fairly active so hoping that helps. I should look more into what else causes them.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:59 AM »
so Smitty, how'd it go? Did ya shoot stones yet?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:53 AM »
lithotripsy isn't all that bad. Had done 3x now.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2019, 02:39 AM »
I still haven’t passed it boys ....next week may be surgery if I don’t pass it sooner....
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.