The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Strikemasters with Solo motors powerhead?  (Read 14614 times)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Strikemasters with Solo motors powerhead?
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Been a Jiffy guy, but can't find the one I want as they've dicontinued it. Now I'm looking at Strikemaster. So last year, Strikemaster teamed up with Solo motors. An appealing sounding engine, and German made. Solo motors has been around 63 years and sound like they might be very reliable. Does anyone have one, or ran one? If so how'd you like it? Not a lot of reviews out. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: New Strikemasters with Solo motors powerhead?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I get to buy more parts for my Eskimo again, starts great and runs great but tired of buying parts every effing year. Looking forward to a good review on something different.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Used mine today for the first time.  I bought it from someone else at the end of last season as he was leaving the state.  He owned it for a year.  Not sure why, but I can't run at full tilt, the motor dies out like it's starved for fuel.  Now I have to say that I left fuel in it over the summer and only started it a couple of times during that time, but I've used carb cleaner, and now running gas plus in the new gas/oil I put in this week.  It seems to have cleared some, but still won't run wide open.  Is this the engine or my stupidity?  Don't know.  It starts easy enough and runs great at 3/4 throttle and it cut holes just fine today.  So I think once I get this little problem cleared up it'll be a great little machine.  I've got the lazer pro........

Offline Trexzeus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:23 AM »
Try opening the cap on top of the fuel cap. That should have you running better.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:27 AM »
my buddy bought one last january and it ran great all year
I pulled it out yesterday and it fired right up after sitting all summer and drilled 60 plus holes on last years gas
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:28 AM »
gear box whines when you shut it off though don't think thats normal
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:47 AM »
I'm liking the idea of the 4 stroke Strikemaster auger.  Have to wear out my Strikemaster MAG 2000 first.  I've been trying to do that for 9 years and can't get it to quit and it out drills all my buddies augers and this one doesn't run as good as the one that I had stolen from me before I got this one.  I want to get an 8" bit for this auger.  The 10 inch is a little too big since I could almost fit one of my kids in the hole it makes!  Babies with wet feet make you have to go home and nobody wants that!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:49 AM »
The StrikeMaster Solo engines did/do have some issues with the fuel cap and vent lines.  Make sure your grommets in the tank that the lines run thru are fully sealing, and that you have no leakage.

If it does run better with the cap loosened, then you have one with the fuel line venting issue. You might want to contact SM and let them know.

They are a high performance, well tuned motor those Solo's so if something isn't just quite right, its more noticeable then with the others.  If you left ethanol fuel in it over the winter, drain it, and run some fresh fuel with some Sea-Foam or other type of fuel system/ethanol treatment thru it, and run the heck out of it.

It should pull full revs under load, and cut like a son of a gun!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:43 AM »
I got a Mag last year with the Solo on it.  Ran great last year and fired right up this year.  Would buy one all over again if I had to.
  BE THERE!

Offline tgs518

• IceShanty Rookie
  • always after that trophy
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:49 AM »
 ;D I bought one last year and can't wait to swiss cheese some ponds this year !!!!!!
Sirell Fiel

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I have heard/read nothing but good about the new Strikemaster Strike-Lite II with the all metal auger. It's 15#s lighter than the Jiffy 4G! 23# vs 38#. I like the Idea of not having to mix oil and gas. I can't get anything this year, but I'm watching the threads on the Strike-Lite with interest. :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline tiptoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Bought the lazer mag last year.  No complaints with the motor and it fired right up this year.  I went with the strikemaster over the other brands because of the narrower grip.  For me the ergonomics were superior over the Eskimo and Jiffy's.  If I had to do it over, I WOULD buy this model again.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Been a Jiffy guy, but can't find the one I want as they've dicontinued it. Now I'm looking at Strikemaster. So last year, Strikemaster teamed up with Solo motors. An appealing sounding engine, and German made. Solo motors has been around 63 years and sound like they might be very reliable. Does anyone have one, or ran one? If so how'd you like it? Not a lot of reviews out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

German "engineered", NOT German manufactured...I believe they're made in China.

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Old Sailor, you will love that StrikeLite.  About three years ago I tested a "hybrid" four stroke for StrikeMaster, the same time other guys were testing the Solo's.

I tell ya, I loved that one I tested so much, I bought it back from them when they were done analyzing it.  This motor was made by Shindaiwa, and it was a four stroke BUT, you had to mix the oil and gas...so you werent trying to pull start thru thick gear oil, like you do (to a small degree) with the StrikeLite.

I use that auger everytime out...smooth starting, quiet and tourqe! In fact, if they hang up a bit in the hole, a four stroke tends to try and pull out of your hands, unlike a 2 stroke, but its a rare occasion and fully do-able.

And if you EVER have a problem with a StrikeMaster, you find out what the gold standard for customer service is!!! ;D
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I have never heard of a 4 stroke with no crankcase oil and uses mixed gas before.  I just checked pretty cool idea.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:13 PM »
its about time you figured out what a real auger was named
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:55 PM »
"I have never heard of a 4 stroke with no crankcase oil and uses mixed gas before.  I just checked pretty cool idea."

I hadn't either so was pretty stoked to check it out...I love it, hope it lasts!  I even got the names of the two engineers who adapted it for colder running in case it ever breaks, 'cause who the hecks gonna fix it!?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Perchassault does it rev up like a 2 stroke or is it quiet like a 4 stroke. Is the motor light like a 2 stroke?  I am interested in this cause i have sold outdoor power equipment for many years and never really had and shindaiwa in my area to compete with so i dont know anything really about them.  That hybrid motor looks nice.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:08 PM »

I have used two in the last three years. Both the Lazer Mag 2.5hp in the 8" and the 10". I have drilled probably realistically a thousand holes with these two. They are great motors. I just run some stabil and then drain the gas out of them at the end of the season. This year my 10" started second pull after some fresh gas and oil.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Perchassault does it rev up like a 2 stroke or is it quiet like a 4 stroke. Is the motor light like a 2 stroke?  I am interested in this cause i have sold outdoor power equipment for many years and never really had and shindaiwa in my area to compete with so i dont know anything really about them.  That hybrid motor looks nice.

It behaves much like a Strike Lite, and it spins up pretty freely...but its not a 2 stroke.  The only thing I dont like is when it binds in the hole...a 4 stroke has compression and can yank you hard, where a 2 stroke, you know (with inherently little compression) will cushion that a little...a lot actually!

It is pretty light, I have the 8" Lazer drill and I think its 25-26#...(not sure)

I believe the only reason it didn't see production was that they already had a good 4 stroke, (for those that dont want to deal with pre-mix) and if you're gonna mix gas and oil, might as well have a 2 stroke if you can...

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Back to the subject I bought a laser pro this year and can not wait to use it.  I went from a laser mag express and will keep that auger as a back up.  The new solo motor is one tough sounding motor and it is very well built.  Bring on the ice.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Just make sure you spray down the auger recoil/starter rope and pulley w/WD-40.  Clear instructions on StrikeMaster web page.

Also, you want to follow the starting drill to the letter.  Use compression release EVERY time you pull the rope, thats where the recoil issues are coming from.  Soon as it coughs or sputters the first time, back off the choke, set the comp, pull again and it should run.  Should never have to pull and pull on those Solo's.

Good luck...Hey while you're at it, drill me a couple right over...here, would ya? ;D

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:29 AM »
     Thank you all for the feedback. I called Solo headquarters today and they verified the motor IS MADE IN GERMANY as well as assembled. Hope they're not BSing. I'm picking one up. Bye bye Jiffy bye bye.  :clap:

Live Free Or Die.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Ok......so I took the auger out today.  Started it up and warmed it.  No full throttle.  I loosened the gas cap and it seemed to help.  It still sputtered a bit at full throttle but cut holes with the throttle maxed.   In order to get enought venting I had to have the cap loose enough that it spit fuel everywhere.  I do believe the problem with my solo engine is a venting issue.  So, I emailed Strikemaster and told them of my problem.  It's a 2009 model Lazer Pro, so I'll see if that's one of the years they had problems with and what they recommend for a solution.  I see they have vent screws on some caps now, maybe that's what I need. 

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:45 PM »
     Thank you all for the feedback. I called Solo headquarters today and they verified the motor IS MADE IN GERMANY as well as assembled. Hope they're not BSing. I'm picking one up. Bye bye Jiffy bye bye.  :clap:
don't get rid of that jiffy yet i will give you twenty bucks for it i can always use a spare boat anchor ;)
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:58 PM »
don't get rid of that jiffy yet i will give you twenty bucks for it i can always use a spare boat anchor ;)

I was thinking of hooking to the back of the rig when I go fishing next time and just dragging it along. Or when I drive by your house tomorrow on my way to kill some perch and eyes I'll just launch it out the window.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline FISHAHOLIC-19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I've had my Lazer Mag for 2 full seasons now and love it. Still waiting for ice to start up my 3rd season with it. Been starting it up about once a week here lately dreamin of ice. The only problem I had with it was the pull cord head was packed with to much grease and wouldn't recoil right. Called Solo and they sent me a new starting coil unit with no questions asked.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Ok......so I took the auger out today.  Started it up and warmed it.  No full throttle.  I loosened the gas cap and it seemed to help.  It still sputtered a bit at full throttle but cut holes with the throttle maxed.   In order to get enought venting I had to have the cap loose enough that it spit fuel everywhere.  I do believe the problem with my solo engine is a venting issue.  So, I emailed Strikemaster and told them of my problem.  It's a 2009 model Lazer Pro, so I'll see if that's one of the years they had problems with and what they recommend for a solution.  I see they have vent screws on some caps now, maybe that's what I need.

Robbi,

Try a vented cap, if you can find one to fit the threads...may be an issue.  I would try and run some Amsoil Quick Shot, or some Sea Foam as well.  I bet, with ethanol fuel sitting in it all summer, you do have some gumming/deterioration as well. 

If running it with the cap loose enough to spit fuel, and it didn't resolve it, I don't thinks that's your only issue...good luck!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:45 AM »
Thanks Mike, it may not be the only issue.  It did have gas in it all summer, but also had stabilizer in it.  I went to NAPA and asked about Seafoam and was ready to buy it when the guy there recommended another product called Gas Plus made by PFS (Performance Fuel Systems).   It's made in Livingston, Montana and that's what sold me, but he claimed it would do anything any of the others would do.  Anyway, I'm running that through it and hoping it clears.  I've run about 3/4 of a tank so far, probably 30+ holes.  Was hoping that Strikemaster made a vented cap that would match the threading on my tank, that's why I emailed them.  Next step is a carb rebuild kit I suppose......

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Mike from Strikemaster called me this morning and explained what to do to see if it's a venting issue.  One of the tubes that comes out of the gas tank goes to the primer bulb and the other hangs behind the carb and is the vent.  He had me take the white plastic piece (might be red or others)off the end of the tube and crank it up.  Got it started and after warm up it ran at full throttle.  Actually I couldn't get the plastic piece off the hose without cutting so I removed the rubber stopper in it.  The rubber stopper has a hole in it for air.  When I looked at the inside of the stopper you couldn't see a thru hole so I rolled it in my fingers and you could tell it was stuck together.........bang!!  the reason for no air.  Once broke loose I put the stopper back and ran the auger, again, no problem at full throttle. 

Still not convinced that I'm running at 100% but it'll get me thru this season now and I'll put a carb kit in it later if running the Gas Plus doesn't clear up the hesitation.  It's barely noticeable now........So I'm up and running.  Thanks to all that helped and gave me info that lead me to the problem!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.