The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best Alternative to a K-drill auger  (Read 644 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best Alternative to a K-drill auger
« on: Jan 24, 2024, 12:48 PM »
I am currently using an 8 1/2" K-drill auger in my permanent shack.  The shack stays in the same spot all winter, so the holes are re-drilled every time.  I occasionally use my 8" Strikemaster electric auger, it cut holes quicker than the K-drill.  My question is: what would be a better 8" replacement auger for the K-drill that re-drills holes quicker and would work with the Clam plate?  Thank you for any first hand information you might be able to provide.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Best Alternative to a K-drill auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2024, 01:13 PM »
I think the K-Drill would be best for redrilling old holes over the lazer/curved or flat/shver blades ie Pistol Bit.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2024, 01:31 PM »
StrikeMaster lite flite 8". I have mine on a clam plate, it cuts great. I haven't tried drilling over old holes yet but it's supposed to work just fine.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2024, 05:55 AM »
Re-drilling holes is the issue, that is all the auger will be used for.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2024, 09:08 AM »
Nordic Legend Hardware Lite E-Drill - Cordless Nylon Ice Drill Auger with Centering Point Blade, 8" Ice Auger Bit with Drill Adapter & Top Plate for Ice Fishing https://a.co/d/5FGWdOw

I bought this and attached it to my clam plate got the 8" version paid $60 when it was on sale out of season but $109 is a good price on it
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2024, 12:50 PM »
I am currently using an 8 1/2" K-drill auger in my permanent shack.  The shack stays in the same spot all winter, so the holes are re-drilled every time.  I occasionally use my 8" Strikemaster electric auger, it cut holes quicker than the K-drill.  My question is: what would be a better 8" replacement auger for the K-drill that re-drills holes quicker and would work with the Clam plate?  Thank you for any first hand information you might be able to provide.

How many holes are you drilling in your permanent shack that a few seconds per hole faster makes a difference? Maybe get the blades sharpened or get new blades.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2024, 06:08 AM »
How many holes are you drilling in your permanent shack that a few seconds per hole faster makes a difference? Maybe get the blades sharpened or get new blades.

Thank you for the replies.  There are only 4 holes to drill. I have been using a Kdrill auger for several years.  The problem really isn't so much the time required to drill a hole, as the pressure required to push down for that length of time.  The auger currently has new blades on and I have spare new blades.  I am looking for a better alternative.  I should have also add that an auger must be capable of adding 2' of extensions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.