Author Topic: Crappie  (Read 1384 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crappie
« on: Feb 23, 2019, 04:01 AM »
So this winter has been one of the worse winters for me crappie fishing    I have done seven times and every time I go I will be marking fish the whole time I’m out night fishing but they will not bite.  I have tried tiny bricker bugs tear drops.  Jigs plain hooks.   Spikes wax worms live minnows dead minnows.   Hooking them in mouth   By dorsal fin.  And by tail.  And only few each time.  They will come flying right up to bait  sit there then back down.     I tried different depths to.       Just wish I could get one good evening bite for my son And girlfriend any help be appreciated.  Have good rest of winter

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:26 AM »
  sounds like afternoon has been good lately up there.  most of the time they when they just look at minnows they will hit bee moths or flys. other times its almost impossible.  I have seen them so off we had to literally bump them with the camera to get the to move!  even then they just moved a few feet and stopped.  drilled over them and bumped them again!  this was in 8fow and weeds.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:25 PM »
As they are racing up to your bait, start pulling away, "lifting" them up to trigger a strike.
Also try small jigging raps and spoons with minnow head or waxies tipped.

Another thing to try is soft plastics. Many times in that situation a soft plastic works wonders.
Got one goin'!

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2019, 11:43 PM »
tie the smallest hook on you can find with a split above it 2 foot. Put the hook in the minnow so you can’t see it let him swim. Just a thought have had to do it before.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:44 AM »
If you're shallow enough,  no weight,  just hook the minnow and let him go!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:56 AM »
from what op said, it sounds like they were neutral.  just looking at bait and moving on. when that's the case, I add weight to the rig so it limits their movement. clip tails or even slit them a bit.  makes them easier to catch or seem vulnerable in my thinking.  when that don't work start your down sizing or move on.  sounds like he did rite but they weren't having none of it.  was probably on a "community hole" or just missed the feed time that day.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12:26 PM »
last weekend we were site fishing the crappie. In 15 fow they were moving around just under the ice. we had to shake the hell out of the jig to get them to bite and then they would inhale and exhale so fast that we still missed many of them.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Found that on one lake this year also.  They were always moving and just under the ice.  Doubt I would have caught any without a locator.  Last night I got some in 5fow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.