Author Topic: Invasion Of The Dink Bluegills  (Read 7154 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Invasion Of The Dink Bluegills
« Reply #60 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:04 PM »
maybe taxi will chime in on this.  I think he weighed the ones we pulled from his pond, but I don't remember what they went now.  gills and crappie generally don't get put on the scale around here.

The bluegills in my pond can be a pound at 9 1/2 inches but that's because I feed them artificial feed most of the year. Typically on public lakes they have to be about 10.5 inches to get to a pound and even then they may be just under. A lot of 12 oz. bluegills out there that anglers call a pound.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:06 PM »
I didn't say it was JUST the beards . I said that is where they should START fixing the issue.... And I'm just glad I don't live in the area to deal with them on a consistent basis and have them ruin a good body of water

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I think if you catch one at 11inches you can get your scale out. Probable real close to a 1lb. Not many public  lakes in Indiana produce 1lbers on a consistent bases. I pretty sure most guys claim to have caught 11 to 12 inch gils that are really 9 to 10s. A tape takes care of that and a scale the weight.

Absolutely! You would not believe the exaggerations I hear as a taxidermist.  :roflmao:  I have a certified scale that has deflated a lot of egos! Once got a call on a guy bringing in an 8 lb. bass. It was under 4 on the scale!

And keep in mind there can be a half inch or more difference  + between a tape measure over the top of a fish vs. a board. It has to do with the curve of the fish.

I can tell you an 11 inch bluegill is about as rare as a 7 lb. bass from my experience. And I don't believe I've actually seen a true 12 from Indiana, that didn't turn out to be in the 11 inch range on a board.

Redears are different story and as we all know they get bigger than bluegills. But I wish I has a nickel or every redear I get in that the angler called a bluegill! 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:04 PM »
The bluegills in my pond can be a pound at 9 1/2 inches but that's because I feed them artificial feed most of the year. Typically on public lakes they have to be about 10.5 inches to get to a pound and even then they may be just under. A lot of 12 oz. bluegills out there that anglers call a pound.
.       I have weighed fish for guys that swear a pound and a 12 oz fish looks pretty big. 99% are not a pound that guys think are

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:38 PM »
I didn't say it was JUST the beards . I said that is where they should START fixing the issue.... And I'm just glad I don't live in the area to deal with them on a consistent basis and have them ruin a good body of water

Fair enough but you can't just deal with one group of people. It has to be across the board.

I'm not sure 25 bag limit would do that job with some fish hogs. I've seen as many as 10 people on a pontoon boat hit both bluegill and crappie beds around a lake. if each got 25 ... well you do that math.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:42 PM »
.       I have weighed fish for guys that swear a pound and a 12 oz fish looks pretty big. 99% are not a pound that guys think are

For sure! But I can't lie on the fish I sell whole frozen to taxidermists from coast to coast. If I lie I will sell a lot less fish. Mine are trained on artificial feed early and are quite broad. As you can see a little different than the typical public lake bluegill.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:38 PM »
My scale not certified, but is very close, postal scale gonna have to weigh some out of my pond this summer, they are fed all summer long also

These are hybrids not true bluegills

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:47 PM »
I would agree. Several years ago I caught 2...11" @ 1.33# and 11.25" @ 1# even. Sad story...gave them to a "friend" who knew someone that could mount them at a reasonable price. Never seen them or him again...and don't know where he is. :%$#!: Anyway...back to the dink gills. I generally fish 3 lakes that give up some nice gills and very few "dinks" and I'm not sure why, but here is a little background on them.

Lake #1...44 acres w/avg. depth of 30'.  #2...82 acres w/avg. depth of 30' and #3...30 acres w/ avg. depth 30'. All are what I would call small to medium in size and depth is the same. All have marl, pulpy peat and muck bottoms. Plenty of weeds but little in other structure. All have a few springs and inlet/outlet streams. Now the differences...

#1) Avg. of 7-8" gills with plenty of 9's and 10"+ crappie and only a few perch of any size. Some LM bass up to 2# and a few pike that will reach 35-37". This lake is public and gets moderate fishing pressure.

#2) Same as #1 except not as many 9"gills but the crappie run a little bigger and there are some decent perch if you can find them. Bass and pike run about the same as #1. This lake is public and gets moderate to heavy fishing pressure.

#3) Average of 8- 9" gills with plenty of 10 inchers and perch that will reach 15" but they're few and far between. Some LM of 2# or so but no pike or crappie (at least I've never heard of or caught any). This lake is private and gets light fishing pressure.

Again, none of these lakes have I caught any dink gills...which I call under 5".

So I get why the private lake has so many decent gills...at least in part. But why the other 2?

My guess is a little bit of everything...water depth and quality, lots of weeds, decent amount of predator fish. But could all of this explain why there is what seems to be an above average growth rate of these pan fish. Any fish biologists out there who can confirm or add to why this might be? Invasion of the dink bluegill...why and why not?
Would make me wonder if reduction in dinks is caused by predation of the fry by mature bluegills

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 27, 2019, 07:39 AM »
I would agree. Several years ago I caught 2...11" @ 1.33# and 11.25" @ 1# even. Sad story...gave them to a "friend" who knew someone that could mount them at a reasonable price. Never seen them or him again...and don't know where he is. :%$#!: Anyway...back to the dink gills. I generally fish 3 lakes that give up some nice gills and very few "dinks" and I'm not sure why, but here is a little background on them.

Lake #1...44 acres w/avg. depth of 30'.  #2...82 acres w/avg. depth of 30' and #3...30 acres w/ avg. depth 30'. All are what I would call small to medium in size and depth is the same. All have marl, pulpy peat and muck bottoms. Plenty of weeds but little in other structure. All have a few springs and inlet/outlet streams. Now the differences...

#1) Avg. of 7-8" gills with plenty of 9's and 10"+ crappie and only a few perch of any size. Some LM bass up to 2# and a few pike that will reach 35-37". This lake is public and gets moderate fishing pressure.

#2) Same as #1 except not as many 9"gills but the crappie run a little bigger and there are some decent perch if you can find them. Bass and pike run about the same as #1. This lake is public and gets moderate to heavy fishing pressure.

#3) Average of 8- 9" gills with plenty of 10 inchers and perch that will reach 15" but they're few and far between. Some LM of 2# or so but no pike or crappie (at least I've never heard of or caught any). This lake is private and gets light fishing pressure.

Again, none of these lakes have I caught any dink gills...which I call under 5".

So I get why the private lake has so many decent gills...at least in part. But why the other 2?

My guess is a little bit of everything...water depth and quality, lots of weeds, decent amount of predator fish. But could all of this explain why there is what seems to be an above average growth rate of these pan fish. Any fish biologists out there who can confirm or add to why this might be? Invasion of the dink bluegill...why and why not?

it's likely a combination of things

1) notice that in all cases you mentioned that all the lakes do not have big bass. Kevs is on the right track with predation of fry and juveniles... but it's likely coming from the bass, perch, and crappie. And pike in the lake that has them. Many times in smaller lakes, higher density of small to medium predators (typically largemouth bass) help keep young bluegills in check. That means more food for the remaining bluegill. More food and fewer fish = higher growth and larger sizes. It's called "density dependent growth"

Assuming adequate cover to protect some bluegill juveniles (but not too much cover, which will result in too many surviving and driving density of bluegill up and growth down), good forage base and productivity, those small but healthy and balanced lakes will remain kicking out good bluegill as long as *too many* of the large males are not harvested

Offline Whereareyouwalter?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I think Minnesota or wisconsin has done alot of research on big males being most important to size structure.  Thats why bed fishing is so detrimental. 

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #70 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Maybe lakes should be manage so there is a season, so people can't fish for them while they are bedding.  That may help improve the size of the fish.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Dont know why this is: I few times last year all I was catching was males. Out of 50 maybe only a few were females. Is this because the males were making the beds and the females would come a bit later? Just curious???

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Here in Maine, they’re an invasive species that hardly anyone targets. I target them for fun, just catch and release, mostly with a fly rod during summer. One lake here is so loaded with them the locals Say they’re like piranhas, they’re biting bass lures. I’ve personally yet to break a 10” mark, but I know they are in there in abundance.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Here in Maine, they’re an invasive species that hardly anyone targets. I target them for fun, just catch and release, mostly with a fly rod during summer. One lake here is so loaded with them the locals Say they’re like piranhas, they’re biting bass lures. I’ve personally yet to break a 10” mark, but I know they are in there in abundance.

Crazy to think just how much food is out there swimming around and people spend money on farmed fish. Not you, just in general 

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:23 AM »
Crazy to think just how much food is out there swimming around and people spend money on farmed fish. Not you, just in general

And I personally would like to keep it that way LOL

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:25 AM »

Road trip anyone?   ;D

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:12 PM »
And I personally would like to keep it that way LOL

hahaha this site needs a like button

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Maybe lakes should be manage so there is a season, so people can't fish for them while they are bedding.  That may help improve the size of the fish.

We had that once years ago. Or was it just for bass?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:08 PM »

When I lived in Mass as a kid they weren't targeted and they did attack bass plugs! Some of the best bluegill fishing I have ever had in quantity and size as there was no competition. Now I go back and it still can be good but not as good as people are now targeting them. I noticed the Asians really target them during spawning season.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:14 PM »
I think you're right Taxi, seems like dad and the old timers talked about a closed season on bedding gills. That being said I've seen gills bed at different times so might be a factor to consider if a reg were to be proposed. Hex

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Farmed fish are the only freshwater fish you’ll find some in Maine. Being on the coast, seafood means from the ocean. This is what I usually catch in the summer, I’ve never ran into anyone else fishing for panfish out here.
This little guy bit a sz2 mouse fly

These were with 2.5” gulp minnows on 1/8-1/4oz crappie jigs (sz2 hook)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:20 PM »
.     My dad told me that yrs ago it was against law to catch fish off beds. He said there were signs in known bedding areas posted no fishing on the beds. He said was big fine. This was in Michigan, said conservation officer really watched known areas for bedding

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:19 PM »
When I lived in Mass as a kid they weren't targeted and they did attack bass plugs! Some of the best bluegill fishing I have ever had in quantity and size as there was no competition. Now I go back and it still can be good but not as good as people are now targeting them. I noticed the Asians really target them during spawning season.
Yes I know there weren't many people on the east coast that fished fresh water. Even the fish markets hardly ever had any types of fresh water fish.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Check out bluegill fillets prices, they have them from time to time in meijers and are expensive

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #84 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:34 PM »

Seamonkey, those are some very nice fish.  Thanks for sharing that pic with us.

If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Farmed fish are the only freshwater fish you’ll find some in Maine. Being on the coast, seafood means from the ocean. This is what I usually catch in the summer, I’ve never ran into anyone else fishing for panfish out here.

I didn't mean people are buying farmed fish at markets.  I meant some people hate bluegills due to their over abundance but that's food on the table.  So more people could be out there targeting them (in certain areas). 

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 28, 2019, 01:48 PM »
First time I ever fished from a boat was when my Dad took me to Loomis Lake when I was 7 yrs. old, so  that would have been 1946!!!!!!! Wow! That's a long time ago.
I can recall there were wooden signs pounded into water along the north shore that read, NO FISHING SPAWNING AREA.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02:06 PM »
nice fish good job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.