New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373064 times)

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #60 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Need directions?  ::)

Long range forecast, starting late next week, is looking promising  @)

Man I hope so.  This t-shirt weather is starting to get old... FAST! 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #61 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:02 AM »
This would be just outside of Newton Falls - downstream.  Off the River Road.  River is not generally "crossable" on the ice because of current - the "pond" is other side of the river from the boat launch there.  ;)
i have fished it in open water but never ice. how would you get it to it in the winter?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline oswegatchieEd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:28 AM »
i have fished it in open water but never ice. how would you get it to it in the winter?
As Fishforpike stated there is some current and not the best access across to the pond. If you know one of the club members you can get on at there trail. ITs upstream of Newton Falls.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #63 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:39 AM »
As Fishforpike stated there is some current and not the best access across to the pond. If you know one of the club members you can get on at there trail. ITs upstream of Newton Falls.

Oops.  ;D  I did mean to write "upstream".

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #64 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Best tasting fish there is in the winter months.  Just got to learn how to filet them, that's all.   :flex: :icefish:

Haha, I meant no disrespect. Yeah I've made gumbo's and stuff out of those Y boned fellas it's just I'm usually so wrapped up with walleye during the ice season that I never target northerns. But who knows, if the perch and walleye bite dramatically slows down around here I might have to go try my luck for a few trophy's.

Quick question for anyone that knows, I'm getting the impression that Cole's Creek gets overly congested with ice fisherman, is it to the point that there's no solitude or limited room to fish? Also, I'm definately not looking to take anyone's holes or how to's but in regards to Black Lake. Obviously never fished there before and was kind of wondering about where a few of the public access points are to that lake and if 4X4 is a must to reach any of these points? Thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #65 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Haha, I meant no disrespect. Yeah I've made gumbo's and stuff out of those Y boned fellas it's just I'm usually so wrapped up with walleye during the ice season that I never target northerns. But who knows, if the perch and walleye bite dramatically slows down around here I might have to go try my luck for a few trophy's.

Quick question for anyone that knows, I'm getting the impression that Cole's Creek gets overly congested with ice fisherman, is it to the point that there's no solitude or limited room to fish? Also, I'm definately not looking to take anyone's holes or how to's but in regards to Black Lake. Obviously never fished there before and was kind of wondering about where a few of the public access points are to that lake and if 4X4 is a must to reach any of these points? Thanks
My experience with Cole's Creek and Brandy Brook are that are busy on weekends.  I stay away unless I can take time during the week.  I have enough other/better places to go that I just don't bother too often.
Black Lake, I can help you with. Here's a google map with LOTS of notes.  Check it out and ask away.
Public access is limited and there are a few "unadvertised" spots you can get on at.
The only public spots are the state boat launch and at Rollaway Bay, off the end of the town road.
Be prepared to walk or have some sort of transportation.  Also, ask before you go to a chosen spot - there are areas of current and unapparent danger.

Send me a PM any time and I'll do my best to help out.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #66 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:20 AM »
My experience with Cole's Creek and Brandy Brook are that are busy on weekends.  I stay away unless I can take time during the week.  I have enough other/better places to go that I just don't bother too often.
Black Lake, I can help you with. Here's a google map with LOTS of notes.  Check it out and ask away.
Public access is limited and there are a few "unadvertised" spots you can get on at.
The only public spots are the state boat launch and at Rollaway Bay, off the end of the town road.
Be prepared to walk or have some sort of transportation.  Also, ask before you go to a chosen spot - there are areas of current and unapparent danger.

I'd like to pick away at you're expierience on the black this year if time and money allow Phil .

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #67 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:54 AM »

Wow! Great map and great notes. Thanks. I'm waiting next to my front window right now like a little kid, waiting for my brand new Vexilar FL-20 to be delivered!!! Appreciate the PM offer :tipup:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #68 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:55 AM »
I'd like to pick away at you're expierience on the black this year if time and money allow Phil .

Fire away  ;D

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:09 PM »
would like to someday but almost a 2 hour drive for me, too many other good places around here to fish. granted, not for crappie, but everything else

there is some great hidden crappie ponds in the Adirondacks.  you are within 20 miles of some of my favorite crappie waters.  ive caught them 14 inches or so inside the blue line.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #70 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:05 AM »
there is some great hidden crappie ponds in the Adirondacks.  you are within 20 miles of some of my favorite crappie waters.  ive caught them 14 inches or so inside the blue line.
i know of a couple but never had any good luck at them, maybe we can share some knowledge?   ;D ;D
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline capthook88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:20 AM »
 ;D  Looking forward to fishing Black Lake for some crappies. Haven't fished it sense the mid 80s and never through the ice.  :tipup:
I have never been lost, just a bit confused for a few days !
" TEAM CAPTHOOKS "
 CAPTHOOK88/GREG

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #72 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:52 AM »
;D  Looking forward to fishing Black Lake for some crappies. Haven't fished it sense the mid 80s and never through the ice.  :tipup:

I wouldn't waste my time...there are no crappies left...  :afro:
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:16 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time...there are no crappies left...  :afro:

Not like there used to be, there isn't.

Frankly, a bunch of St Lawrence county locals (read that as scumbags) ignored limits back  in the mid 90's and took as many as they could catch in a day, every day for as long as they were biting.

Personally, they should have shot the entire lot of them because they absolutely ruined Mile Arm Bay, both for number of fish AND access to the ice....old Smitty gave me a key to his road back years ago and told me if I ever left the gate open when he had it closed I could forget about fishing there again.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #74 on: Nov 30, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Not like there used to be, there isn't.

Frankly, a bunch of St Lawrence county locals (read that as scumbags) ignored limits back  in the mid 90's and took as many as they could catch in a day, every day for as long as they were biting.

Personally, they should have shot the entire lot of them because they absolutely ruined Mile Arm Bay, both for number of fish AND access to the ice....old Smitty gave me a key to his road back years ago and told me if I ever left the gate open when he had it closed I could forget about fishing there again.
Those "guys" are still at it. :%$#!: :%$#!:  and still ruining access to the lake.  Anyways - there's more to it than the guys taking fish out.  Lots of other environmental factors are at play.  It's not just Black Lake either.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:15 AM »
While on the topic of Black Lake....my question is who regulates derbies on the lake. I was in the barber shop today and already see signs posted for an upcoming derby. Last year local companies were holding employee and guest derbies and every weekend it seemed as if there was a derby of some sort. My suggestion would be to limit the smaller derbies on the lake and bring more publicity to the larger ones with more money making potential. What are others thoughts on this?
Get out of the house...go fishing!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #76 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:52 AM »
While on the topic of Black Lake....my question is who regulates derbies on the lake. I was in the barber shop today and already see signs posted for an upcoming derby. Last year local companies were holding employee and guest derbies and every weekend it seemed as if there was a derby of some sort. My suggestion would be to limit the smaller derbies on the lake and bring more publicity to the larger ones with more money making potential. What are others thoughts on this?
No one regulates derbies on the lake.  That would take; near an act of "god".  New "Special Regulation" by DEC.  Anyways - beyond that, you are referring to the small "derbies" ?  I don't think there is much you can do to stop someone from having a private, little, fishing get together.
By the way, you are most welcome to our club and to help organize and work out our fishing derby event.  :)
I put the poster at the barber shop  ;D

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:16 AM »
hey Ice Dog, we gotta hook up this year, i will keep my eye on the" pond" and let you know!!!

Ahhhhhhhhh, nypike,  I still owe you!!!! ;D

You sir helped to create one of my GREATEST ICE FISHING MOMENTS of my life!

Yes I am planning on making a trip up that way for sure this year!
Also once the Ice is solid in Massena on the St. Lawrence I will if you want take you to a spot I have for Walleye and Perch and the occassional MONSTER Musky.
Glad to see you back at the Shanty for another year!
HERE IS A REMINDER OF THE DAY YOU HELPED TO CREATE!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #78 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:15 AM »

Also once the Ice is solid in Massena on the St. Lawrence I will if you want take you to a spot I have for Walleye and Perch and the occassional MONSTER Musky.
(Image removed from quote.)
always here to help and would love to meet up on st lawrence sometime, i fish it but am always just takin a shot in the dark as where to go. definately would help to go with someone with knowledge of the river and places to fish.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #79 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:32 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

OH YA!  How do I go about getting one of those.  Nice Tiger.  @)

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Does anyone here fish Whitehouse Bay with any kind of regularity? If so, what are the targeted species there? I've seen on a map one access road off of 37, is that about your only shore access from 37? I've been scouting several unadvertised locations along the St. Lawrence as well between Ogdensburg and Hogansburg (safe ice wise due to slower obscured current) and a few spots seem to jump out as possibilities like the east side of Wilson Hill...? Can't wait to use my brand new FL-20, hope I wake up tomorrow to find out the weathermen were 20 degrees off to the right for the next 10 days :tipup:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #81 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Does anyone here fish Whitehouse Bay with any kind of regularity? If so, what are the targeted species there? I've seen on a map one access road off of 37, is that about your only shore access from 37? I've been scouting several unadvertised locations along the St. Lawrence as well between Ogdensburg and Hogansburg (safe ice wise due to slower obscured current) and a few spots seem to jump out as possibilities like the east side of Wilson Hill...? Can't wait to use my brand new FL-20, hope I wake up tomorrow to find out the weathermen were 20 degrees off to the right for the next 10 days :tipup:
Whitehouse Bay = crappie in the stumps.  Pike halfway out and possible walleye out near the mouth.  You can get there from the Waddington Beach Road as well.  Need 4-wheel-Drive to cross the fields there.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:38 PM »
joey, your covering alot of water, what town are you living in ?  And on a side note I would not go near hogansburgh to ice fish or fish at all.

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Nice to see a northern ny thread!  i live in saranac in the north eastern adks.  Pretty much fish all  lakes and ponds up this way that I can.  Now if we only had some ice....

Offline 10th MTN Dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please pass the peck of pickled Pickerel and Pike!
« Reply #84 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:23 AM »
Awesome thread!!

Been fishing Henderson, Red Lake, Black Lake, St. Lawrence and especially Butterfield for quite a while on Soft water.

Last year was my first year fishing hard water since I was a kid. Fished Perch Lake mostly last year but did try Hyde Lake, Henderson Harbor and once on Millsite (Not sure I would try that one again as even mid-winter it had some awful thin ice. Walked out, drilled a few holes and very carefully walked back off. Scared the crap out of me!)

Looking to find a few guys with some more experience on some new spots. Draw back to having me along is that I am a week-end or holiday Walker, dragging my gear sled. Usually fish five tip-ups while sitting on a jigging hole. I do have a buddy that I fish with on Perch Lake, but looks like he will be away a lot this season.

First day fishing last year was 01 JAN. Can't wait to get out this year as the boat got put up at the end of October and I am going stir crazy in anticipation. I mostly get perch, pike and pickerel...occasional crappy.  Would love to haul some walleye up through a hole. I have no electronics so pick my spots based on Hydro maps and looking at the shore, or leaked intel (gossip)...no complaints on how I have been doing so far. Hope to upgrade next year to a shelter as a minimum but would really like to get an ATV and a MarCum showdown ice troller to open up my opportunities. Not happening this year unless I win the lottery!

Last year I fished fathead minnows on the tip ups and jigged with a Swedish pimple also with a fathead.

I am looking for as much advise as people are willing to give on techniques or bait selection...If I can pry your jaw open with a nice cigar and you spill some details on hot locations...its all good. Never can figure out while folks are so tight-lipped. I'm not going to crowd you, but I sure might fish "your spot" if you are not there.

Signed up for the on-line tourny again this year as I enjoyed the fun and pics from last year. Too many places to try and fish and not enough week-ends to fish them!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Awesome thread!!

Been fishing Henderson, Red Lake, Black Lake, St. Lawrence and especially Butterfield for quite a while on Soft water.

Last year was my first year fishing hard water since I was a kid. Fished Perch Lake mostly last year but did try Hyde Lake, Henderson Harbor and once on Millsite (Not sure I would try that one again as even mid-winter it had some awful thin ice. Walked out, drilled a few holes and very carefully walked back off. Scared the crap out of me!)

Looking to find a few guys with some more experience on some new spots. Draw back to having me along is that I am a week-end or holiday Walker, dragging my gear sled. Usually fish five tip-ups while sitting on a jigging hole. I do have a buddy that I fish with on Perch Lake, but looks like he will be away a lot this season.

First day fishing last year was 01 JAN. Can't wait to get out this year as the boat got put up at the end of October and I am going stir crazy in anticipation. I mostly get perch, pike and pickerel...occasional crappy.  Would love to haul some walleye up through a hole. I have no electronics so pick my spots based on Hydro maps and looking at the shore, or leaked intel (gossip)...no complaints on how I have been doing so far. Hope to upgrade next year to a shelter as a minimum but would really like to get an ATV and a MarCum showdown ice troller to open up my opportunities. Not happening this year unless I win the lottery!

Last year I fished fathead minnows on the tip ups and jigged with a Swedish pimple also with a fathead.

I am looking for as much advise as people are willing to give on techniques or bait selection...If I can pry your jaw open with a nice cigar and you spill some details on hot locations...its all good. Never can figure out while folks are so tight-lipped. I'm not going to crowd you, but I sure might fish "your spot" if you are not there.

Signed up for the on-line tourny again this year as I enjoyed the fun and pics from last year. Too many places to try and fish and not enough week-ends to fish them!!

Plan on some trips to Chaumont Bay and I'll put you on the pike, perch and walleye...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:48 PM »
aren't the eyes last ice ? along with mud bay ?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:51 PM »
aren't the eyes last ice ? along with mud bay ?

Theyll be biting as early as Feb 1st in some spots, and that's during daylight hours....night fishing is planned also this year.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #88 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:01 PM »
thank you

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #89 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:12 AM »
joey, your covering a lot of water, what town are you living in ?  And on a side note I would not go near hogansburgh to ice fish or fish at all.

I'm in Massena, ha ha yeah I was BS'ing the other day with someone and he was telling me that Hogansburg might not be the smartest thing to do this winter... Yeah this St. Lawrence thing is a bit tricky to scout because I just don't know where the safe areas are other then what I hear or guess at not to mention how maps are inaccurate depth wise due to Montreal's need to flood their canals. I don't really want to venture past Ogdensburg too often this winter but if I have to in order to avoid heavy crowds or better fishing so be it but most of my ice fishing is going to be during the week so we'll see. I have a lot to learn up here that's for sure. I've ice fished the last 15 years mostly on Chautauqua Lake south of Buffalo and swimbaits are god on that lake for the eye's. As for here I've heard everything being used under the sun from jigging bucktails to solely relying on tip-ups. It doesn't seem like any one strategy is head n shoulders above the rest here where in Oneida pimples rule the water. It's a good thing though because on those lakes you get so fixated on pimples and rapalas that you rarely try out new/other presentations. Here I honestly don't know anything about walleye fishing and am going to throw everything I have at them and in situations like the one I'm in I thank god I have a vexilar that's going to really help me figure out these Walters!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.