Author Topic: Baked Kokanee  (Read 2360 times)

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Baked Kokanee
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Greetings neighbors!  I hope your ice is stable and the fish are biting!  I come to you hat-in-hand requesting a kokanee recipe for the oven.  I'm no stranger to smoked kokanee or fried fish, but I'm looking for an oven-oriented alternative to the above and would like to know your favorite way to prepare it.  Being that the kokanee I'm targeting are 9-10", I'm looking for whole-fish recipes.  Thanks in advance!

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Baked Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I've taken the Kokanee I have and gutted and removed head. Then stuffed the cavity with stove top stuffing and a little butter and other seasonsings. Then wrapped the whole thing in foil and baked at 350 for like 15 minutes. I've enjoyed it. Something we used to to with trout when I was in grad school in the Midwest. You could also make your own "hash" type thing with veggies or potatoes or whatever to stuff it with.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Fillet them and leave the skin on.  Put in baking dish lined with stik-free tin foil; skin side down.  Saute some onions and mushrooms in butter and 1 teaspoon of tyme until onions are opaque.  Cover fillets with the onions/mushrooms/butter mixture.  Cover dish with more tin foil and bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  This works very well for trout as well.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Thank you very much gentlemen.  I posted this in the Montana forum as well and have gotten some radically different recipes from folks.  Lots of delicious sounding ideas to try for sure!

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Fillet them and leave the skin on.  Put in baking dish lined with stik-free tin foil; skin side down.  Saute some onions and mushrooms in butter and 1 teaspoon of tyme until onions are opaque.  Cover fillets with the onions/mushrooms/butter mixture.  Cover dish with more tin foil and bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  This works very well for trout as well.

I'm planning on filleting any additional ones I catch. I noticed the scales come off really easy so I was planning on scaling, filleting and leaving the skin on and then pan frying so I can get a nice crispy skin on them and then maybe finishing off under the broiler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.