Author Topic: Target separation, how big of a deal is it?  (Read 9907 times)

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Target separation, how big of a deal is it?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Isn't that one only 11.1 volts?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Isn't that one only 11.1 volts?

exactly what it is. that's why i posted the image provided by marcum so we can talk about it, since it was brought up.

It was never the way you said, you even cropped your photo to mislead people. Yeah, they "just changed it". Whatever.

Don't put words in my mouth 3300 I never said or implied I know where to get the battery cheaper. I said exactly the opposite. I was the one that said it was a proprietary battery, the cheapest Chinese soft cell lipo array Marcum can source, before you chimed in and started lying to other members by cropping that photo and saying you could just buy the battery for $130. I implied Marcum was ripping people off by not offering a replacement battery and they are.

I finally had to post the part of screenshot you purposely cropped out before you would "admit" you were wrong. The part of the screen that is literally 3 centimeters away. In a day or two you will go back and edit your posts anyways(which I took screenshots of by the way) and you'll deny everything. I'm done communicating with you.

"they just changed" ...that's gonna give me a good chuckle the rest of the day.

i do not lie first of all. that is very insulting to say the least, but i can deal with it. you're misunderstanding what is going on and that's okay too. what i have been saying is true and when you pointed out they now have you send it in is when i see they changed their terms for replacement. i did call them right away to see why they changed their terms and to see if buying it w/o sending in the unit is still an option some how. i am waiting for a return call because i called them on their lunch break.

here is marcums response:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 48 hours. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you. To access your question from our support site, click here
Subject
Lithium Shuttle Battery

Response By Email (02/02/2018 07:22 AM)

It was under our initial impression that the battery could be swapped out just by ordering a new battery but our operations manager corrected us and it would have to be sent in to be swapped out.
Customer By Service Email (02/01/2018 01:28 PM)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i did not crop their photo. i copied their photo link to post the specs of it for us all to read to better understand it and find a better price and brand because it sounded like you were going to help us find a better source. if you click on their photo and copy the link and paste it here you'll have the same image i posted. not a big deal at all. nothing is cropped by me.
not sure why your getting upset at all. there is no reason for that.

here is the link to the supposed cropped image:
notice who and where it comes from. it is not my work or image.

https://i1.wp.com/shop.marcumtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Lithum-Shuttle-Battery-Replacement.png?w=600&ssl=1

again,, thanks for pointing out that they want the entire unit sent in for a battery replacement. that is not how it once was.
i knew it was a proprietary battery going in. no problem here.
i still would like to find a better battery and price and  if it's an option or not.

if you still doubt my integrity, please call marcum and ask them what's been going on with this battery and their policy change on availability, because i am also. it bothers me that i could buy and it and install it on my own recently and now i can't.
here is their contact for you:
    Email: [email protected]
    Toll-free calls: 1-888-778-1208
    Local calls: 763-512-3987

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:55 PM »
The marcum one is most likely 4s 12000mah tried finding one couldn't find anything that seemed legitimate. Hell of a deal at 140 id you know anything about lipos. Alibaba is usually a gamble you never know what you're gonna get

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:17 PM »
i found my first post about the battery. it was 130$ when it was available to ship out. now they are charging the 10$ to get it installed and is included in the cost of the battery. so the shipping is the only extra costs now the way it stands.
so that's why it's 139.99$ instead of 130$.
like i said, it maybe a hazard shipping or handling liability issue their insurance may not want to deal with is why the sudden change, who knows for sure.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347410.msg3703567#msg3703567

for what it's worth to op, the battery does make a difference to the overall performance of the head unit. traditional batteries tapper off and so does the performance of the head unit as that happens after a certain voltage.
the type of battery you bought in the marcum shuttle will help with this situation. this type of battery holds the voltage higher and longer. mainly because it lasts much longer than sla batteries do. i am sure that's why you bought it and you are supposed to have it today and now you know more about it.
some one said it comes with the adapter, but mine did not. only the charger came with mine.

by the time a sonar has to shut off, the unit is and has been in what is called a brown out state. brownouts are not good for electronics and that's why we have ups systems on our expensive home electronics. it keeps the voltage at 120 volts and doesn't allow the voltage to drop to brown out state.
so this being a much longer lasting battery will help with those conditions big time.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:33 PM »
you guys realize this topic is about target separation...came here and quickly came to the conclusion its a few guys b@tchin at each other about a fricken Marcum battery.hmmmm.i will add my take on target separation.the flx28 has pretty good separation but what makes it better is say 4 fish come in,it will show 4 different lines and you can tell which fish is closer because it will turn white that one is sniffing my jig,then the other farther fish will be red and so on with the farthest or smaller fish being orange or green.sometimes fishing plastics I get a little double mark because my flx28 marks the 3mm jig and the micro nuggie tail sometimes.thats all I got its not that important to me as long as 1 fish wants my bait.lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:40 PM »
dr, the op got his answer taken care of on page 1.

the op bought the new marcum shuttle and is talking about how to get it going with his new other brand sonar. one person wants to talk about the costs of it. and so do i if we can get a better battery and brand.

his new shuttle should be at his house by now and still needs a power adapter or make one.

Lol, 3000 is still at it? Awesome. Marcum is charging $180+ for a battery replacement(A battery you can only get from them -perfect) while you wait around one, two, who knows maybe three weeks depending on the time of year. Plenty of time to think about how you got roped into spending $250 + $180 = $430 for a black piece of garbage designed only to get as much money out of you as possible. He's misleading people like it's his job.

The thing doesn't even come with a soft shell, you have to buy it extra for another 30$ Don't even get me started on the <$1 adapter cable for $40 if you want to use it with another manufacturer's head unit. Let's do the math... $250 + $30 + $40 + $180 = $500. That's just the first battery change. Your going to need a new charger at some point too if you know anything about Marcum and their battery chargers. Another $45.

$500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they don't make a carry case for that shuttle. it doesn't need one either. that's why it has rod holders in the back and why the transducer is held in the back.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Do yourself a favor and shop by reliability and feature set. Everything else is a pissing contest no matter how much some people will deny it. Target seperation, power output, etc don't mean squat when your on the ice and your sonar is on the fritz. I'm an IL guy too, just a minute down the road from you, season is too short to be messing around sending a unit in for service.

So you make a good point and ruin it by turning the thread into a pissing match about the marcum shuttle. Great work.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:03 PM »
just a stupid argument for all involved. properly cared for the replacement battery should not be a worry for a long time. Either way as the OP will find having similar amp hours at a similar weight will cost him quite a bit of money no matter how he does it. Not really a fan of the marcum shuttle myself but there currently isn't much for options especially at 12 amp hours. Dakota lithium is 10ah and you're still probably pushing toward 200 after buying the battery, charger, and whatever shuttle you put it on

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Got the shuttle rigging the Humminbird power cable into it was pretty easy. Not worth buying the Marcum adapter cable, especially since it looks ghetto hanging out like that.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:30 PM »
nice splice! what was that you used in the middle?

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:33 PM »
nice splice! what was that you used in the middle?

Noise suppression ferrite choke.    It's part of the Hbird pwr cable. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:37 PM »
thanks!
none of my birds came with one.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Cut the wires by my finger.
Installed spade connectors and left extra transducer cable coiled up.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:45 AM »
thanks!
none of my birds came with one.

They use the filtered power cable for side imaging units, I believe. Not sure shy, but that's what I've gleaned over the last couple years.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I had to get filtered power cabes for my Helix 7 and Helix 9 because MinnKotas cause a lot of interference. Gave Humminbird a call, explained what was happening and they were provided at no cost. Thanks Humminbird.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:25 PM »
just a stupid argument for all involved. properly cared for the replacement battery should not be a worry for a long time. Either way as the OP will find having similar amp hours at a similar weight will cost him quite a bit of money no matter how he does it. Not really a fan of the marcum shuttle myself but there currently isn't much for options especially at 12 amp hours. Dakota lithium is 10ah and you're still probably pushing toward 200 after buying the battery, charger, and whatever shuttle you put it on
. Absolutely agree... what a flippin joke. Also it  Sounds like there’s more to a purchase of a hummingbird digital ice flasher than what you think. Might have to re think my options. BY the way what’s the target seperation like on the helix g2... is it better than a marcum digital.... lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:29 AM »
BUT, even given the manufacturer listed target separation, is there a discernible difference in real world fishing situations between a LX6 and Helix 5 since they have the same vertical resolution? With most sonar units (despite listed target separation) I have been able to distinguish multiple targets within 1.5" in length (swivel + Lure + Bait...total length < 1.5")?

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:58 AM »
so there is no real evidence that there is a difference with today's digital ice units with the resolution they display. just manufacturing companies  writing a number on a box. making it look and sound like its better than brand X Y orZ.  shame on you MARCUM. trying to mislead me with false information and trick me into buying one of your.... in for repair regularly units.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:30 AM »
So it seems the xi 9 1521 transducer gets the target separation down to 1.5" on any CHIRP Helix. Well that makes me feel a little better about my decision.
Just waiting on that transducer now.......  ::)

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:52 AM »
So it seems the xi 9 1521 transducer gets the target separation down to 1.5" on any CHIRP Helix. Well that makes me feel a little better about my decision.
Just waiting on that transducer now.......  ::)

You'll get better than 1.5" separation with the helix, and you'll never wish you bought a flasher. My helix has more hours on it this year than most people put on a flasher in a lifetime, they just work.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:05 AM »
You'll get better than 1.5" separation with the helix, and you'll never wish you bought a flasher. My helix has more hours on it this year than most people put on a flasher in a lifetime, they just work.

I have been fishing two holes 24-25" apart with a Garmin Echomap Chirp in one hole and a Vex FLX 28 in the other - my preference is for the flasher.  Not so much due to target separation reasons, but I notice fish moving up to follow my lure notably quicker with the Vex - there is definitely a lag with the Garmin, even when focusing on the right edge of the screen.  I do like the lake mapping features and the GPS ability that the Garmin features.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I have been fishing two holes 24-25" apart with a Garmin Echomap Chirp in one hole and a Vex FLX 28 in the other - my preference is for the flasher.  Not so much due to target separation reasons, but I notice fish moving up to follow my lure notably quicker with the Vex - there is definitely a lag with the Garmin, even when focusing on the right edge of the screen.  I do like the lake mapping features and the GPS ability that the Garmin features.

Garmin =/= Helix G2

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:22 PM »
What are you saying here??

Garmin =/= Helix G2

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:35 PM »
What are you saying here??

Not equal?

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Correct, you can't fault the Helix G2 for characteristics of the Garmin.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Correct, you can't fault the Helix G2 for characteristics of the Garmin.

Never fished the Garmin next to the Helix 2, but found this an interesting comparison...

http://fishfindersadvisor.com/echomap-chirp-52cv-vs-helix-5-chirp-di-gps-g2/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.