The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Proper gas for small engines!  (Read 142403 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Proper gas for small engines!
« Reply #210 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:05 AM »
From pure-gas.org

Alaska: all gasoline is ethanol-free.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How spendy is your gas "up there"?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #211 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:07 AM »
Not sure where this info came from but it's dated. Every gas station in brookings is running a minimum of 10% ethanol in all blends

I just found out a bit ago from someone else on IS that their state, which WAS ethanol free, as of October 31st, is now Ethanol....  I think it's being pushed down everyone's throat, regardless.  >:(

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:10 AM »
It's about $3.60 for 87 and $3.95 for diesel in Anchorage. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #213 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Thanks, henry. Down to $3.10 for 87 WITH ethanol here, in the corn belt.  :%$#!: One or two pumps in town with non-oxy for about $4.15 gallon.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #214 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:20 AM »
 >:(
I just found out a bit ago from someone else on IS that their state, which WAS ethanol free, as of October 31st, is now Ethanol....  I think it's being pushed down everyone's throat, regardless.  >:(
YIKES ! Someone has been really busy to shut down all these stations.     Time to up-date the site.   

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=SD

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #215 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:56 AM »
Star tron is another good additive if your forced into elthenol blended fuel. Here in iowa we can still find it here and there but its usually higher priced and lower octane than the regular blended fuel. Also finding regular diesel that is not a bio blend is near impossible.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #216 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:51 AM »

when I was burning E fuel I dumped star tron and stabil in my gas and no trouble my verado ran fine as did the rest of my stuff

but now they have E free fuel around i'm on it

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:39 AM »
I lost my weed whacker and now hav e issues with my gas auger  because of using gas with ethanol in it. Hopefully they can fix the auger.

Replacing gas lines and maybe a carburetor should make it run like new.  Do note...that some carbs some in untuned for the engine.

Most Premium Unleaded fuel is ethanol free, most should probably run this in their auger.  Adding a fuel stabilizer with ethanol protection is not a bad idea either way.

Seafoam is a miracle worker.  It covers all of your bases.  Also, Amsoil is probably the best oil to use as they are the only ones that have true synthetic.  I like the Marine Saber or regular Saber oils.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #218 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Replacing gas lines and maybe a carburetor should make it run like new.  Do note...that some carbs some in untuned for the engine.

Most Premium Unleaded fuel is ethanol free, most should probably run this in their auger.  Adding a fuel stabilizer with ethanol protection is not a bad idea either way.

Seafoam is a miracle worker.  It covers all of your bases.  Also, Amsoil is probably the best oil to use as they are the only ones that have true synthetic.  I like the Marine Saber or regular Saber oils.
Premium fuel has ethanol in it, but usually less than 87 octane, but it is still susceptible to phase seperation,  I agree with using AMSOIL, and using a good fuel stabilizer, Stabil or startron ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #219 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:01 PM »
I'm still running ethanol free gas since one station in town blends 91 octane premium with 84 octane regular so we can buy 87 octane regular. It's 20 cents per gallon more, but beats running premium in everything.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #220 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:15 PM »
We have 2 stations in town that have non oxy. Both BP. its 91 non oxy and was 3.49 when I filled the auger can a couple weeks ago. No need to use ethanol here.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #221 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:29 PM »
I think we should be able to buy non-oxy gas everywhere. If ethanol is so great make it a choice instead of forcing it on us as consumers. Take the subsidies away and let it stand alone as a choice at the pump. Then figure a way to get rid of it after it goes through fuel separation in the ground. I think government has taken enough choices away from us.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #222 on: Oct 23, 2015, 03:50 PM »
The problem with non oxy is there is still the bulk tank issue, go with tru fuel, its much more expensive but i doubt you will use more than 1 can a season.
go hard or go home

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #223 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Ten percent ethanol gas became a norm 25 years ago. Any company that can't engineer a motor to deal with it in that amount of time shouldn't be in business. The same goes for any "ethanol eats gaskets" argument.

Buying and mixing more fuel than you'll use in a week or two is your own fault.

Once a week, whatever's in the gas cans (summer gas for the mower, winter mix for the snow thrower) gets poured into my kids' car. They get an extra 10 to 20 miles, and I start every time with fresh fuel.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:09 PM »
VP small engine 40:1 mix 94 octane no ethanol is what I use in my strikemaster

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #225 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet. I came across it the other day ;)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #226 on: Sep 23, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Ten percent ethanol gas became a norm 25 years ago. Any company that can't engineer a motor to deal with it in that amount of time shouldn't be in business. The same goes for any "ethanol eats gaskets" argument.

Buying and mixing more fuel than you'll use in a week or two is your own fault.

Once a week, whatever's in the gas cans (summer gas for the mower, winter mix for the snow thrower) gets poured into my kids' car. They get an extra 10 to 20 miles, and I start every time with fresh fuel.

Since you poked the zombie Jon I'm bumpin' this with a "two thumbs up" rating.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FishGut is the 2nd smartest man on the planet!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline icemann13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I am new to power augers and bought a Eskimo Fi this year. Have almost used a small can of Tru fuel so far and it fires right up with a good RPM. Nice pink color too to see through the gas tank. For my limited usage I can handle the premium cost of this fuel.

I have always used Stabil on all my 2 cycle tools in the summer for winter storage. I store them wet and they always start come spring with a few pulls. Should I do the same come late winter for my auger storage?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #228 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:03 AM »

I have always used Stabil on all my 2 cycle tools in the summer for winter storage. I store them wet and they always start come spring with a few pulls. Should I do the same come late winter for my auger storage?

Absolutely! Dry storage is harder on stuff than running ethanol.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:16 PM »
I always keep a 5 gallon can of non- ethanol fuel in the garage- in a steel gas can without a vent. A gas can with a vent, or even a plastic one breathes enough that I can smell it, and if gas fumes get out, air gets in, and if it is humid, the ethanol in the gas absorbs it, and over time seems to form a webby stringy mess in the tank. I try to keep the tanks in the engines completely empty and drain the carb, or completely full.
My dad took several small engine classes at the tech college, and they started him on Seafoam. That seems to make his snowblowers and mowers start every time.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I had issues with my jiffy gas auger from day one. And someone told me to use tru fuel and what a difference it's in a quart can at Home depot  ($6). I have a landscaping business and I use the no spill gas cans with stabill.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:33 PM »
X2 for the TruFuel or VP Small Engine Pre-mix.  This stuff lasts forever as I believe they both have stabilizers in it.

For those who run tons of fuel, non-ethanol and stabil then mix with Amsoil Saber before you add it to the machine.  Stabil your fuel right away, never know if a can sits for a week or a few months.

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:43 AM »
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/2-stroke-fuel-oil/xp-2-stroke-pre-mixed-fuel/581158701/

I've been picking up this stuff this year once I finally got my auger going after being accidently stored with ethanol junk in it (last time out wasn't intended to be last time out and never got summarized) and it has worked great for me.

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Just switched to VP premixed 94 octane in my jiffy legend yesterday. It awakened that auger instantly. Idle is much smoother and no longer dies in between holes. I never even had to choke it when starting. I will never go back to mixing regular gas again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.