New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827280 times)

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #7140 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I almost forgot...

That's a beautiful walleye Racer....Congrats Buddy!!
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #7141 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Okay, marathon run up to Chaumont yesterday.....Awake and out by 3:30am and home at 10:30pm. Ice was 24 plus inches and trucks everywhere, place was a zoo. Dink Perch all day long kept us awake and busy, no jumbos or anything I would even want to keep. Racer was the only one to catch an eye, and it was a dandy. Biggest yet and obviously his personal best. Congrats Racer......measured in at 29 3/4 just a hair under 30 and weighed 13LBS. Got checked by DEC twice, once as he basically ran his sled into my shanty and jumped off only to catch Racer and I sleeping (lol) and the other at the ramp on the way in. Nice work to those guys. Heres the pics:

way to go racer!. you and pooch did a great job staying after those big eyes and it payed off. congrats guys :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7142 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:53 PM »
One word sums up my saturday TOUGH. Woke up at 2:30got my 5 yr. old out of bed and dressed and head over to get my dad then to dunkin donuts to meet a few buddies a quick cup and on the road.Got to Taft bay at 5:30  on my spot at 6 first mark hit 3 lb smallie next bite was at 10 am after 4 moves and the next bite was at 5:30 pm which i dropped half way up and that was it for me .A total of three bites all day my son got a nice fish deadsticking and my dad caught 6 perch.Days like yesterday make the good days all that much better.Oh and on the way home i got pulled over by a sheriff who told me my running lights we not working.Luckily he told me to throw on my 4 ways and be careful going home no ticket he was a nice guy. So after leaving my house at 3 am i pulled in the driveway at 9:15pm and tonight i cooked those fish for my kids and they made fish sandwiches and told me they where the best i have ever made.With a tough day behind me I can't wait for friday to get here so i can get back to Oneida and maybe catch more than a few sandwiches.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7143 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Took today off but will be back at it tomorrow. Hate to waste a day with the number of ice days starting to dwindle but what the heck.

Racer - well deserved congrats on a fish of a lifetime !!!!

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7144 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:17 PM »
took my grandson and son-in-law to bacon wrap city [sandy pond]  his first outting at 4 yrs. bait inspection , the fish pose and he laid a Jimmy Houston on a fish which I wasn't quick enough with the camera ,grrr

great catch Racer
:clap: :clap: :clap:  Love the hat!!! Scoobey doo  :thumbsup:

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7145 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:35 PM »

well i got lucky this morning out of Taft with not going thru totally with my machine. i hit this nice jem just SE of williard island over 24 feet of water. 43.13.944N  -  75.56105W. put the skull and bones on you GPS people. let this be a lesson to any newbies that there is never any real safe ice. i drilled thru 20" of ice 10 feet from that monster after :P

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7146 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:41 PM »
H.T glad you made out OK man i was in that are on Saturday with my father and my son thats an EYE OPENER

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7147 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:42 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
well i got lucky this morning out of Taft with not going thru totally with my machine. i hit this nice jem just SE of williard island over 24 feet of water. 43.13.944N  -  75.56105W. put the skull and bones on you GPS people. let this be a lesson to any newbies that there is never any real safe ice. i drilled thru 20" of ice 10 feet from that monster after :P

Hope you had a spare pair of underwear after that!  Glad you made out it out ok.

Very cute kid Filet!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7148 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:49 PM »
it amazes me that those hazzards out there every where on the ice all over the lake. there was 500 snow mobile tracks that headed east to west and i was heading south towards the drop and i hit that head on? lol @) @)

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7149 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Wow HT,  You're lucky it didn't go down.   Glad it worked out.

Thanks again for all the comments everyone.

Now that some time has passed, I'm really having mixed feelings about keeping that magnificent fish. I't so easy to get wrapped up in the moment.  I'm kind of wishing we just took some good photo's, weight and measurements and let her go.  Too late for that now so she's gonna occupy a space on my wall for sure.   Has anyone had one mounted before?  Skin or replica?  What do you all say?  I'm new to anything like this but thinking replica. 

Fred,
Way to go taking the grandson out.  Priceless memories for everyone.

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7150 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Now that some time has passed, I'm really having mixed feelings about keeping that magnificent fish. I't so easy to get wrapped up in the moment.  I'm kind of wishing we just took some good photo's, weight and measurements and let her go.  Too late for that now so she's gonna occupy a space on my wall for sure.   Has anyone had one mounted before?  Skin or replica?  What do you all say?  I'm new to anything like this but thinking replica. 

Fred,

Most of the taxidermists I've spoken with have said replica is the way to go. I caught a large salmon years ago (nothing close since) and kicked myself for years for not mounting it. I shared this thought with at least three different taxidermists and all said the same thing...they would have recommended a replica over the mount.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #7151 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Glad you made it out okay, HT....bet that was scary.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7152 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Man HT, glad u stayed on top! That's crazy bro
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7153 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:39 PM »
wow that's a big hole thankfully you didn't go all the way in .

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #7154 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Haven't posted in a while... Basically because I don't have much to add to what everybody else is saying and doing. Like lots of other guys have said, the fish have been pretty moody lately. Lots and lots of sniffers. Besides the occasional flurry, the solo flyers have been hard to coax.

Like Snagger says...I try to forget that the bottom huggers are there, and keep fishing for the biters, but when the biters are scarce...

A couple tricks that I do for moody perch...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. One thing I do is bring a 8 ounce lead weight tied to an old baitcaster reel with Dacron on an old rod broke off at the first eye. When it gets slow, I drop it to the bottom and frantically pound the bottom with it.

Another trick I try during slow times, is when I hook a perch (preferably a small one), I don't reel it right up. I pull on it and make him fight around down there. Sometimes this calls other fish in and gets them going. I do this when jigging smelt. Works great for that.

Another thing is to hook a fathead through the lips with a tiny jig head and send it right to the bottom. Let the minnow go right in the mud. Leave your line slightly slack. Sometimes perch will pick it out of the mud even though they won't take it otherwise. You can watch your line to see if it goes tight.

Sometimes one of the tricks works...sometimes it doesn't matter what you try.

The smallys are starting to get pretty active now. Here's one from yesterday...

something like this jim, my pounder from last yr,  got a better one this yr...  I think it helps me fight bordom more than the fishing..  ;D

&feature=youtu.be
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7155 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:57 PM »

Fred,

I got a skin done of my on largemouth. It's incredible. Replica if you want to spend less but preserve the memory. Skin if you want it to look just like it did when you pulled it out. Lou spinelli of Rome taxidermy in deansboro is the best guy around. (my opinion, but he has the accolades and knowledge to back it up)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7156 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:42 AM »

Thanks for the sobering warning! The picture says it all, "there is never any real safe ice". Glad you're OK and made out of that situation.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7157 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:45 AM »

and the longest winter in 35 yrs rolls on.........

Bernhards Bay, NY | Central Square, NY | Constantia, NY

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION.

* TIMING...EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY

MORNING.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATING 7 TO 12 INCHES.

* IMPACTS...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW MAY PRODUCE VERY DIFFICULT

TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITY.

INCREASING WINDS WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.

* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MEDIUM. THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY

WITH THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM. JUST A SMALL CHANGE IN THE

LOW TRACK WOULD ALTER EXPECTED ACCUMULATIONS.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7158 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:56 AM »

ouch.......29.75 barometer out there, could be painful out there.

been running a power auger last 3 trips ......been keeping notes, very interesting results, drill one quick hole, guy 100 feet away grabs a fish, takes about 20 minutes usually for hole calm down to get action, drill multiple holes for multiple guys, sometimes area goes dead, other times it doesn't, haven't drilled multiple holes in a walleye area just perch spots... had a camera down there, fish really don't jump when its started, but boy they don't like machines like wheelers or sleds, there gone and don't come back if someone drives on top of you.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #7159 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:13 AM »
Glad you are ok H.T.  We don't want anything happening to the Prince of Palermo!
I was in that same area on Thursday just a little West of that spot when I came in from farther out, but 3 more wheelers were just coming out and drove around that spot and even set up for awhile!?  I see Chowdaire marked the spot last night on Navionics.
Wayne W.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7160 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:31 AM »
it amazes me that those hazzards out there every where on the ice all over the lake. there was 500 snow mobile tracks that headed east to west and i was heading south towards the drop and i hit that head on? lol @) @)

Dang bud, glad it all worked out!  You're certainly putting the new ride through the paces the last couple weeks.
Fish there a lot, my last camp was right behind that cross That was my access.  There are always some holes in the bay but none that I thought were bad enough to eat away that much ice.  Most of the time the crack heaving was harder to deal with than the holes.
Guess you never know, & sobering reminder there's no safe ice even in the middle of one of the top 10 coldest winters.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7161 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:25 AM »

been running a power auger last 3 trips ......been keeping notes, very interesting results, drill one quick hole, guy 100 feet away grabs a fish, takes about 20 minutes usually for hole calm down to get action, drill multiple holes for multiple guys, sometimes area goes dead, other times it doesn't, haven't drilled multiple holes in a walleye area just perch spots... had a camera down there, fish really don't jump when its started, but boy they don't like machines like wheelers or sleds, there gone and don't come back if someone drives on top of you.
That's some interesting info Snagger. What camera do you have? I have a Vex and have been thinking about getting a camera to play with.

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #7162 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Holy Smokes HT!!!

Close call for sure. Gives me the willies just looking at that pic.

:o :o :o :o :o
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7163 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:33 AM »

I even saw that with the low flying plane a couple of weeks ago. Had a couple hot fish on the screen and as the plane went over they shot to the bottom. Never returned.

But I have a cheap, noisy, aerator and when I turn that on the screen often fills up. Just need the power augers and machines to make that noise, I guess.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7164 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:59 AM »
took my grandson and son-in-law to bacon wrap city [sandy pond]  his first outting at 4 yrs. bait inspection , the fish pose and he laid a Jimmy Houston on a fish which I wasn't quick enough with the camera ,grrr

great catch Racer
Way to go filet! Cute kid and I'm sure a day you will both remember for a long time. Miss my grandkids,wished they lived closer. My favorite fishing days of the year are the days I fish with them...........Now you got to get him on a walleye!
Nice fish everyone . I fished Friday(beautiful afternoon)and yesterday afternoon out of Constantia. Poked around the local shoals,15 fow to 27fow, tough pick on the perch,but did manage to get some nice meals both days.A little better than all my previous trips for perch, so there is some hope.I just can't get on them in any big numbers  this year,.....and it is got me scratching my head.
Glad you did not go all the way in HT!!!  Follow Other Tracks whenever possible.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7165 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:24 AM »

something like this jim, my pounder from last yr,  got a better one this yr...  I think it helps me fight bordom more than the fishing..  ;D

&feature=youtu.be

You are an entertaining guy SNAG ! I'm sittin' here laughing out loud !
Actually, it seems like a good idea. I like banging stuff (lures) on the bottom , and dragging anchors, or anchor chains through the mud and weeds to stir things up.
I made up some "clackers" to "call" in walleye. The jury is still out on them, they seem to work good some days, but i've had them scare off good marks on a tough bite. I might have to move them further up my line, or downsize them a little.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7166 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Fished ALL day Saturday, from vienna to Godfrey, then to messenger shoal.
One pig smallie, one dink perch. lookers all day, just no active fish. 15-30fow
HUMBLE pie again on Oneida!
Also found a 10" hole all the way to my hip, ouch, those things can swallow a small child!

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #7167 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Thanking God you are okay, H.T.  That looks scary!  Thanks for the heads up on that location.
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #7168 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:37 AM »
  Heres a few random shots I took, nothing organized like group shots or end of day catches just a few as I was sitting out there enjoying myself.

This one I thought was cool, heaven"......

shane you always put up some awesome pics and posts. its nice for somebody like me thats only gotten to fish oneida once. feel like im there looking at those beautiful pictures
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7169 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Did well on the north shore this morning. Hole hopped till I found biters. Took me ten minutes once I found the magic hole for my limit of eyes. Same thing as Saturday. A lot rushing up to it and swimming away. I'm guessing these were perch. The eyes weren't shy. Called it a day. Still hoping to grab a burbot to try one of these times out. Might have to try some shoals. Looks like we're gonna get hammered with snow. oh joy  >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.