New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827282 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4860 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Snagger, you're gonna love that Mr. Heater. I bought one and then was reluctant to even carry it, now I don't go without it. The heat, hot coffee, a warm meal, no ice build up on the line or eyelets, everything is thawed and deiced before throwing it back in the shanty tub. Get well and great pics as usual.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4861 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Cant wait to get back on Oneida Friday. May try north shore for a change. Always fish out of Lewis but I feel like exploring new holes.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4862 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Snagger, you're gonna love that Mr. Heater. I bought one and then was reluctant to even carry it, now I don't go without it. The heat, hot coffee, a warm meal, no ice build up on the line or eyelets, everything is thawed and deiced before throwing it back in the shanty tub. Get well and great pics as usual.

Be careful with the warm meal...yesterday I had cold pizza on aluminum foil, placed it on top to warm it up. The heat reflexed off the foil and started to melt all the plastic on top of the heater including the knob. Luckily I caught it in time, but not before some minor damage.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4863 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Cant wait to get back on Oneida Friday. May try north shore for a change. Always fish out of Lewis but I feel like exploring new holes.

Once you cross that line, you will never go back ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4864 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Bad news was out on Sodus yesterday for a small tournament my buddies put on every year at their cottage and after 5 trips hauling a bunch of guys out about a mile and a half my wheeler started knocking and luckily i got a tow into shore from a buddy.Might be down and out for a while but the good news is I wasn"t out in the middle of oneida like I usually am every weekend. Oh well at least my dad won with a pound and a half fish and hope this wheeler is an easy fix which i doubt.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4865 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:52 AM »

If it's that much better I won't complain  ;D

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4866 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Field of Dreams!!! :woot: :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline IceSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4867 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Looked all over for a shappell fx 100 or eskimo wide 1 this weekend anybody have ideas where they may be in stock ? Thanks for your time

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4868 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Out on the lake now.  I couldn't buy a keeper perch.  Drilled holes from 12-22fow.  I'm sitting on 17.
Switched to perch spots & gear, still getting eyes. 1st drop this morning 22-23" hog on 24" ultralight with 4lb test, that was fun.  Marked several fish before I dropped a line, thought they were perch. Was thinking small so dropped a tungsten toad with small buckeye.  Smacked it right away,but didn't run or fight, just sat there until I got her up about 2'.  Then she had other ideas and wanted nothing to do with the bottom of the ice.
Dumped another 16-17 when line got tangled in the ducer. Couple shorts 13-14, still getting slime darts.
Only 3 perch and they looked like sandy pond transplants.
Slow day & weird bite.  Was hoping for better since pressure is falling. But better than work.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4869 on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Out on the lake now.  I couldn't buy a keeper perch.  Drilled holes from 12-22fow.  I'm sitting on 17.
Switched to perch spots & gear, still getting eyes. 1st drop this morning 22-23" hog on 24" ultralight with 4lb test, that was fun.  Marked several fish before I dropped a line, thought they were perch. Was thinking small so dropped a tungsten toad with small buckeye.  Smacked it right away,but didn't run or fight, just sat there until I got her up about 2'.  Then she had other ideas and wanted nothing to do with the bottom of the ice.
Dumped another 16-17 when line got tangled in the ducer. Couple shorts 13-14, still getting slime darts.
Only 3 perch and they looked like sandy pond transplants.
Slow day & weird bite.  Was hoping for better since pressure is falling. But better than work.

Some fish are better than no fish. Sounds like fun  :)

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4870 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Hey HT, FIX your chains  ;D ;D ::), you know it will come back to haunt you "Bacon Grease", the angry midget will have something to say  ;)

Offline pauly6777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4871 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:40 PM »

I bought the Mr Heater on a whim then got home and after reading the instructions/cautions - it scarred me from using it in the hut and I was going to return it. Sounds like you like it. Have any of you had any problems or suggest precautions I should take? Decent day out, all big perch in 20'ish FOW with UV jigging rap/minnow head. They seemed aggressive. Thanks!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4872 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:45 PM »
  Nice fishin with you pooch, well had strep throat and bronchitus since I walked off the ice last week, I can't win this winter I guess, so went down too whites lumber and bought one of those mr buddy heaters all you guys use, figured if I had heat in my shanty I could just as easily be sick in my shanty as here at the house... was hoping too just sit on a hole all day and grab whatever swam bye, but pins pins and more pins made me move 7 times till noon til I found a hole I could just sit on...  I didn't do very well but better than law order marathons, got 19 eyes, 6 just short and only 1 keeper eye ... dumped 2, rest were pins... 5 good perch, with some dumped perch as well so it was a fun hole with atleast some action all afternoon, my friends with me did a little better than I did, but nothing crazy, all the easy fish are gone now unless you land on them, gonna work for em from here on out I think.

Sorry to hear you are sick. Great pics  You will love that buddy heater. Bring a hammer so your shack does not freeze up! Ask Fillet !!  He found out this weekend ::) :tipup:  !
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4873 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:08 PM »
I bought the Mr Heater on a whim then got home and after reading the instructions/cautions - it scarred me from using it in the hut and I was going to return it. Sounds like you like it. Have any of you had any problems or suggest precautions I should take? Decent day out, all big perch in 20'ish FOW with UV jigging rap/minnow head. They seemed aggressive. Thanks!

I've had no problems with mine. I always vent the shanty and I believe it has a low O2 sensor. Never had a problem cooking, I actually warming up food with mine. But heed other's experiences with their Mr. Heater, it can save you a lot of headaches.

I like Hot Coffee... ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4874 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Looked all over for a shappell fx 100 or eskimo wide 1 this weekend anybody have ideas where they may be in stock ? Thanks for your time
You can give Chapmans a call, up here on Black Lake.  He did have them.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4875 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Nice food rack Bart, did you make that too?  I warmed hot dogs in foil yesterday for the first time and worked pretty well, but that rack would open up more food options.

Continued exploring this morning for a few hours with little to show for it.  Found a bunch of dink perch and tiny walleyes (I don't think I ever caught one so small - couldn't have been much more than 3 inches), but nothing worth going back for.  Got a nice smallie and 2 good perch.  Another great day for fishing weather wise.  Was really nice to be able to move with out much hassle.  Too bad yesterday and today, two of the nicest days I fished all year, that I only could fish a half day.

Nice meeting you Minettoman, hope you fared better than I did.  Nice job Pooch and Snagger.  The buddy heater is great Snag, it's definitely worth the extra weight in my opinion. 

Offline dave160

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4876 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:47 PM »
The rack with the coffee on it is the cats ass...where did you get it or did you make it?

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4877 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I've used a Mr HEATER for 20 years or so in my Otter without any issues,only positive things ( holes stay clear,eyes on rods don't freeze, hot food ect.)

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4878 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:52 PM »
I also never had a problem with the heater. That rack is awesome, again where did you get it?

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4879 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Yes Bart...spill the beans...that rack is cool!
I'm thinking maybe rig up a toaster oven rack??
Wayne W.

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4880 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Yeah man on that rack Bart!!!!!

Worst day this year got out late and missed the 7-9 eye bite started in 15 fowl on numbers that have produced in the past looking for the jumbos. Not a mark....... worked my way out to 27 fow not a mark..... only fish caught was a 8" perch by my daughter. Punched 12 holes 6 moves 12" to 15" ice every place. Seems like we were only ones out there today....... on the drive home looked like alot parking available at apps, Cleveland Villas, Taft bay, and the bank in Constantia. Very weird for a weekend with tons of ice on the North shore.

Release stopped Filet from posting so everyone thinks he's not catching so he has single handedly reduced fishing pressure on Oneida by not posting!!! :woot:

Come on Pres the Oneida lake chamber of commerce is asking you to start posting again!!!!!

"

Offline IceSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4881 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:57 PM »
FISHFORPIKE thanks for the info will give them a try

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4882 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Yeah man on that rack Bart!!!!!

Worst day this year got out late and missed the 7-9 eye bite started in 15 fowl on numbers that have produced in the past looking for the jumbos. Not a mark....... worked my way out to 27 fow not a mark..... only fish caught was a 8" perch by my daughter. Punched 12 holes 6 moves 12" to 15" ice every place. Seems like we were only ones out there today....... on the drive home looked like alot parking available at apps, Cleveland Villas, Taft bay, and the bank in Constantia. Very weird for a weekend with tons of ice on the North shore.

Release stopped Filet from posting so everyone thinks he's not catching so he has single handedly reduced fishing pressure on Oneida by not posting!!! :woot: Don't worry, he's storeing it up and will blow like a volcano  ;) esp if it takes an hour and a half to serve a hamburger  ;) ;) ;D

Come on Pres the Oneida lake chamber of commerce is asking you to start posting again!!!!!

"

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4883 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Nice job on the walleyes guys. Me and 3 buds fished the Lewis Point area. Marking fish was easy; getting them to commit was something else. Different lures, techniques, you name it - all were pretty futile. Somehow got one to bite and landed a nice walleye, another member of our group had a keeper eye and a small perch. Despite our meager success still had a great time and some laughs.

Going to try to find some stripers tomorrow.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #4884 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:29 PM »
if you look at the rack it is made just like the front guard on the heater.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4885 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Just throwing this out there, pondering the idea of getting rid of the Big Wheel. You all have seen it, send me a PM with offers. Remember they are rare!!!!

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4886 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:39 PM »
if you look at the rack it is made just like the front guard on the heater.

It's a warming tray accessory that MrHeater makes.  I think you might have to order directly through a dealer or something.  I googled Mr heater warming tray and a 2012 catalog came up.  I usually bring my jet boil with me to heat up hot water for coffee and my MRE's.  I would've never thought to use my heater buddy like this.  Kudos to Bart for sharing this. 

Offline mcboatsret

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • U.S. Navy MasterChief Boatswain's Mate Retired
« Reply #4887 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:39 PM »
How do you begin to describe one of the most frustrating days ever in the history of ice fishing...wheeler has been on the trickle charger since last week...loaded up at the house...off to south shore boat launch   :icefish:.  Head out to about 32fow of water mark fish...dinks and pins...go to move...yep dead battery  :%$#!: :%$#!: call the wife...goes and buys me a battery booster pack...what a woman  :bow: :bow:...get wheeler fired up and back at it I go...28fow more dinks and pins...heater not working  :%$#!: :%$#!: finally called it quits around 1430.  Glad the ice is good this year.  Started new job and only second time out

Now for the karma part of my tale.  I hoofed it over to a fellow fisherman about 150yds or so from me and explained my situation and asked him if he would keep an eye on my wheeler and I would haul my gear in with me...he said no problem and I headed in towards the boat launch.  I get almost to the island and he pulls up alongside with his sled and offers to take me in.  We get there and he offers to wait and haul me back out to the wheeler.  So...Dave if you're on here and see this...Thanks a ton and may your bucket overflow with slobs the rest of the season.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4888 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:40 PM »

I'm back :o I was down getting a lesson on lake trout , ended up only hooking up 5 and landing 2 , lost a dandy in front of wirestone , right at the hole fishing was slow for our group , but it was a great time , I'll be back on Oneida as soon as I get my stuff reorganized ,nice job on the fish guys I heard it was a little slow , I got updated daily ,

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4889 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:52 PM »
ljc2tall got it. I ordered a front grill a few years ago, $11 delivered to the door and made a couple of modifications. It pops right on and off. I use the larger tins for frank and beans, no foil.

kingfisher22, you must have stumbled on my fishing grounds! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Pman, nice walleye!
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.