New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115667 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #390 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Has the Bluegill fishing made any sort of comeback at the South End?  Used to be good a few years ago, but went downhill the last couple of years due to lack of weeds.....Not looking for anyone's secrets, just a general report to know if it is worth trying it again this year....
Thanks,
Phil
For perch go out deeper in 20 FOW at South end.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #391 on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:53 PM »
I guess no one wants to post on this site anymore.  Well I will and this report is for the guys who can not access the reports page yet.

Went out of the Silver Lake Golf Club today.  Shore ice was good no slush and there was 12" of clear ice under 4" of snow on top of the lake.  My Smitty was a help.  I saw guys pull their flat bottom huts out on the lake and had a hard go of it.  Cut holes at 4 different areas on the West side to the middle of the lake.  There were fish at each location shown on my graph but tight lipped, I was only able to catch a few good perch.  The old Silver Lady cut me down a notch or two today, damn humble pie doesn't taste good.   When I left at 6 pm there was a new inch of snow added to the lake and it was still snowing.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #392 on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:53 PM »
Thanks for the report might try next wknd. Never did good there on perch. Once on sunfish was good. Perch on camera a few times just not active not sure why. Definitely not like Chautauqua. Always get something there.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #393 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:45 PM »
This afternoon there was a ton of activity, bordering on clutter, about half a foot off of the bottom up to about 5 feet off of the bottom.  Did anyone with a camera get any images of what was down there?  I was able to jig out a couple of perch but I also had some extremely light bites like what I would expect off of smelt or shiner in the harbor - though I don't expect either one of those as the culprit here.  Just a wonderin'.

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #394 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Those are crappie I can’t get away from them this year on silver I have caught probably 150. Only two keepers. Everyone is about 8 to 8.5 inches long.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #395 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Those are crappie I can’t get away from them this year on silver I have caught probably 150. Only two keepers. Everyone is about 8 to 8.5 inches long.

If you don't mind...what were you using on them?  I threw just about the entire tacklebox at them and no joy.

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #396 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Hali jig tipped with red spikes half of them won’t bite but stop just above the school and slowly jig up a foot or two you will see one come out of the pack and take it. Like I said though none of them are keepers I sure wish I knew the answer to that. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #397 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:23 PM »
This afternoon there was a ton of activity, bordering on clutter, about half a foot off of the bottom up to about 5 feet off of the bottom.  Did anyone with a camera get any images of what was down there?
I was there Sat and saw the same activity on my graph near the bottom and 5 ft wide at times.  I did catch about a 1/2 doz of these culprits, they were 2-1/2"- 3" perch, see photo and some were smaller.  They were biting so light most of the time I missed.  I think the only reason I caught some was, I was using a 1/32 oz micro jig tipped with mousees.  I have also caught quit a few of the short crappies this year but they hit harder like a good size perch.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #398 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:16 AM »
When I would get light hits I typically had a small glow perch jig tipped with spikes about 6-18" over the swarm, but never set the hook on them.  The few 6-7" perch that I got were with a perch jigging rap so that makes some sense.

Maybe those calico were feeding on the perch?  It was a weird and slow weekend!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #399 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:28 AM »
Fished Sat on the North end in 34 FOW from 8 am-6 pm moved 6 times staying deep.  3 locations showed allot of fish on the bottom, but bite was far and few between only caught 22 perch between 2 of us and only kept (13) 8"-10".  NE and E wind did not help.   As the old timers say " When the wind is in the East the fish bite the least".  Main ice was 12" now and shore ice was solid.   Lake is snow covered with 4" of packed snow but your boots break through makng it difficult to walk and pull your flat bottom sleds.  I used my Smitty and the pull was easy.

Offline Kendog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #400 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:56 PM »
With this harsh wind/thaw/runoff, does anyone know how it will impact the water clarity throughout the lake system (north vs south end)? Thank you.

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #401 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Fished the south end Saturday from 7am to 7pm. Steady perch action pretty much all day with some slow times mixed in. Ended up with 23 keepers and many throw backs. Had a nice pike grab my puppet minnow. Lost it because the darn rear hook broke! Also lost a monster largemouth right at the hole. Got into a few nice gills right before dark. Had the put the work in and hole hop to keep them interested. Walking was brutal with the crusty snow. Great day to be out!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #402 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:00 PM »
With this harsh wind/thaw/runoff, does anyone know how it will impact the water clarity throughout the lake system (north vs south end)? Thank you.
There are creeks on the West side at the State Launch, Buffalo Point, Silver Grove, Golf Club.  The main inlet is on the North end as well as the outlet.  On the East side there are only a few drainage areas and culverts.  All water runs Northeast to the outlet.  Sight fishing in the shallows maybe difficult but the deep water perch fishing probably won't be effected.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #403 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:22 PM »
For fishermen who don't have fishing report access.  Fished two locations today. 8am-1pm out of Perry Beach.   Access across the lawn is getting bare and hard to drag, try not to wreck the lawn.  Shore ice still had snow cover.  Main ice was 15" measured.  Perch bite in deep water was slow again today.  2pm-6pm fished 31 FOW off Traber road.  Shore ice had no snow cover, but was able to step right on.  Main ice again was 15" and when I left the ice surface was completely wet and some puddles were forming all across the lake.  Top inch of ice was degrading.  Perch bite again was slow but kept a few nice ones, left with 20 perch.  No matter where you go the perch bite is the same.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #404 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:42 PM »
From the SLA website......
A communication from Perry Public Works. Please pass this on to all ice fisherman (and women!).
Hi, Mark Hope all is well with you, Just Checking in to give you an update on what's happening With the lake. Due to the pleasant temperatures we have had the last few days, a lot of the snow has melted. I anticipated that and I opened the gate before hand and we are okay but my concern is for the ice fisherman. The gate is open full and I may have to keep it that way for the weekend. Please inform any fishermen that you may know of about this because moving water along with our temperature will thaw the ice faster. I will be monitoring the lake level closely.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #405 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:07 PM »
This post is for fishermen that can not access the "Fishing Reports and Conditions Page".  Fished off Perry Beach today from 8am-4pm.  Shore ice was broken and melted away about a foot so someone had used a 8' plank to get on and we used it also and had no problems once out 4 feet.  Main ice was 10" today but was 15" on Wed 3/13.  Top couple inches of ice is soft and cuts into small chunks not shavings.  Bite was slow again today.   See below pics for Perry Beach shore - plank req'd; Standpipe Rd shore - left side of gray house, shore not open yet; Right side of gray house, plank req'd and State Launch shore - plank req'd.  Open each pic and the name is in the tab at top  or the pics are in order as stated in my post.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #406 on: Mar 17, 2019, 01:06 PM »
From the SLA website......
A communication from Perry Public Works. Please pass this on to all ice fisherman (and women!).
Hi, Mark Hope all is well with you, Just Checking in to give you an update on what's happening With the lake. Due to the pleasant temperatures we have had the last few days, a lot of the snow has melted. I anticipated that and I opened the gate before hand and we are okay but my concern is for the ice fisherman. The gate is open full and I may have to keep it that way for the weekend. Please inform any fishermen that you may know of about this because moving water along with our temperature will thaw the ice faster. I will be monitoring the lake level closely.

Let us know when they close the dam gate.  As stated it will be open through the weekend.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #407 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:13 AM »
Let us know when they close the dam.  As stated it will be open through the weekend.
I have no clue.  Check with Perry Public Works.............

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #408 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:32 PM »
We got out for one last hurrah on the south end today.. fished from 7-2 and caught a half bucket of mixed panfish in the shallows. Ice is just about done out there. 4-5 inches of weak ice filled with bubbles ready to go. Shore ice wasn't terrible coming off but got reports of shore ice being shot at the north end as of today, couple guys busted thru where the plywood was.. not very safe at this point and definitely not worth the risk for panfish that size just my opinion.. boats are on standby ready for a warmup. That's it for my season it was a good one.  :tipup:

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #409 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12:35 PM »
I talked to the Perry Town Hall and they said the bid selection for the renovation to the Perry Town Park was made in Sept.  They also said they were starting with the parking lot and bathroom facilities this year.  I asked about ice fishing access this Winter and the town hall representative did not know if it would be opened for ice fishing.  They told me to call back at year end and they would have a better answer.  Hope they finish phase one before winter, keep your finger crossed.  The attached website shows the planned chnges.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QQMPRWM
Anyone with further info, please post.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #410 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:52 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #411 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:11 PM »
I talked to the Perry Town Hall and they said the bid selection for the renovation to the Perry Town Park was made in Sept.  They also said they were starting with the parking lot and bathroom facilities this year.  I asked about ice fishing access this Winter and the town hall representative did not know if it would be opened for ice fishing.  They told me to call back at year end and they would have a better answer.  Hope they finish phase one before winter, keep your finger crossed.  The attached website shows the planned chnges.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QQMPRWM
Anyone with further info, please post.

If the snow isn’t too deep, it’s easier to park at the country club on the west side and walk across the lake anyway. Don’t have to climb up that big beach hill at the end of the day then.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #412 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Only had a quick look at the South end today, just did not have time to drive the whole lake.  There is skim ice with light snow on top out of the state launch which goes up past Silver Lake Marina and across toward Macks.  I plan on another scouting day mid to end of week and will drive complete lake and report ice thickness.  Below freezing temps predicted for the next 10 days with some teens at nite, that will make more ice.  May be out between X-mas and New Years.

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #413 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Thanks for the report perch chaser. Hopefully the snow predicted mid week doesn’t ruin the ice making. Looking forward to your next report.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #414 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:09 PM »
I did the rounds on Silver today and here is my scouting report.  I published it here also for fishermen that can not access the New York Fishing Reports and Conditions board.

1.) State Launch South end had 3-1/2" of ice out 50 yds, no snow.  100 yds out the ice is snow covered with 1" slush, ice was 2-1/2".  Not safe for me to go any further but I assume the slush did.
2.) Traber Rd, West side, you can still park along the North side of the road and ice was the same as State  Launch.
3.) Silver Grove, West side, the no parking and posted signs are gone.  There is a Wyoming County Wildlife Federation sign along the dead end section that states to be considerate crossing landowners property.  You decide whether to go out there.
4.) Golf Course, West side, had 3" of ice 50 ft out with major wet cracks North, South, East and West.  Snow covered ice was wet at the cracks.
5.) Standpipe Rd, East side, had 3-1/2" of ice 50 and 100 yds out with slight snow cover.  Lots of wet cracks to the South.  3 huts and 2 single fishermen were out approx 300 to 400 yds.  The no parking signs along Standpipe Rd have been removed.
6.) Perry Public Beach is under renovation, the parking lot is gone, there is huge piles of dirt and gravel in its place.  The access to the lake now has large rip-rap.  It is a no go this year in my opinion.
7.) The hamlet of Silver Lake on East Side Mid Lake still has signs that say no parking along lake shore.  Park at your own risk.  The ice was 3-1/2" with slight snow cover. Wet in spots out there probably cracks like at the other sites.
8.) The old Wyoming County Land access on Lakeview Rd, East side just down from the Ashbury Retreat Center still has the path through the woods down to the lake but the Wyoming County sign is gone and the ice was the same as the other East  shore access.

The above is for info. only, you make your own decision whether to go out on the ice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #415 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Higgins Family Bait shop on West Lake Rd is open again this year.  Today he had white spike and pike minnow bait.

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #416 on: Dec 25, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Fished silver yesterday off the north end. Lots of dink perch with some good keepers in-between. I had the whole lake to myself. Pretty cool.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #417 on: Jan 18, 2020, 04:52 PM »
It was not a nice ride to the lake today, but I had to check for myself.  The lake has SKIM ice from South to North.  No way good enough to walk on, the moment I put weight on the shore ice at the State Launch it broke.  Snow was falling but wind seemed to keep it clear with only patches of snow out there.  Will need another week of these below freezing temps and no more snow.

Offline lars

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #418 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:29 AM »
Another week? I'm bored out of my mind been through my stuff more times then I can count lol thanks for the report

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #419 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Where have the bluegills gone to?
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.