Author Topic: Mr Buddy OK in sled of shelter being pulled behind snowmobile?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm building an old ice fishing snowmobile with a large rear cargo box, front auger mount, rod case holder, etc.  The goal is to keep as much equipment as possible out of the flip over shelter I pull behind the snowmobile because pretty much everyone says things like lures, electronics, rods, etc get beat to crap if kept in the sled pulled across rough ice.

I bought a 5# LP cylinder to use with my Mr. Buddy.  I'd like to leave the heater and LP tank in the sled for traveling across the lakes.

Anyone ever have a Mr. Buddy get beat up from a rough ride in a shelter behind a snowmobile or are they pretty durable?  I believe they have some ceramic parts which is the reason for my concern.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Mr Buddy OK in sled of shelter being pulled behind snowmobile?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2022, 05:56 AM »
Never had a problem, but I drive slow and careful. I go around or slow down for rough ice, 20 mph tops while cruising on familiar ice.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2022, 06:14 AM »
No problem here either. I just pack it so it won't bounce around, and like Bart, don't drive like a maniac.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2022, 06:28 AM »
Never had a problem, but I drive slow and careful. I go around or slow down for rough ice, 20 mph tops while cruising on familiar ice.

add a bag..and a milk crate . My biggest concern would be an unsecured 20 lbs tank ...that thing can be a wrecking ball for all your toys

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/trophy-angler-heater-bag/

https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfitters-buddy-heater-bag/847309-S-HBL.html

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2022, 07:00 AM »
No problem here either. I just pack it so it won't bounce around, and like Bart, don't drive like a maniac.
X3

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2022, 07:27 AM »

As a person should do anyway.  :thumbsup: All problems avoided.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2022, 07:38 AM »
Putting it in the sled is fine, but as others have mentioned, you have to make sure that other things in the sled aren't banging/sliding around in there.  We usually keep our heater in a bag/cover so that snow doesn't get into the heater.  Even though you have a sled cover, snow still sneaks in there. 

Putting it in a crate is a good idea, keeps it protected.  And, secure down those LP tanks - they are a bull in a china shop!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2022, 07:50 AM »
I mounted a small shelf across the front of my sled. It holds my heater, locator and small tackle box. I used some 1× to frame in each piece to keep from sliding.Attached eye screws on each end of the shelf and run a bungee strap over said equipment to hold in place.

For weight purposes I used peg board. 2 coats of primer and 2 of marine paint. This stuff will not hold up to moisture well unless painted. 3 years running and still holding up.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2022, 08:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am definitely a "slow and easy" driver on the hard water.  After my original post it occurred to me that I should have mentioned that I plan to fasten / secure the 5# LP tank and heater somehow (haven't decided yet).  I know milk crates works well for 20# LP but I went with a 5# for weight / space so I will have to come up with a different storage solution.  I have a welder and some old tree stand tubing lying around so I'm sure I'll figure out something.

I'm glad to hear that the Mr. Buddys generally hold up if secured and the ride is at a reasonable pace.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2022, 09:02 AM »
T-Hawker . I would stick with the milk crate or a double crate ...light and can be used to get the heater off the ice in your filp . Are you a tip up or tip down fisherman ...closed cellfoam hole covers are awesome and I have used them in a milk crate with my bait bucket keep things in place ...also a regular bucket may work or a 3 gallon bucket may be a better option . Not certain but  a 5 # tank may fit in a milk crate with one or two 1# tanks ..cant have enough propane.

What size Buddy are you using ...Big Buddy or the Portable Buddy ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Definitely bag it. if snow works into the ceramic plates its a pain to start. We left ours out in the truck box and took a 3hr trip to the lake and couldn't get it to start till we put it inside the truck to warm up and thaw out the plates. Also a 10lb tank fits nicely inside a 5 gall pail, I fish quiet a few -30C days and a 5lber runs out quick.

Offline Shagginwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Pretty tough I would say. I once saw a big buddy skidding across the ice at 70mph while still attached to a 20lb tank and the whole works spinning like a bola.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2022, 12:16 PM »
Plastic garbage bag works great.
Mine fell off the back of the SxS a couple years back in 1 foot of slush and survived.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2022, 09:33 AM »
One thing I do now is buy a spare pitot tube and thermocouple and keep it on hand because these Buddy Heaters are temperamental.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2022, 02:12 PM »

add a bag..and a milk crate . My biggest concern would be an unsecured 20 lbs tank ...that thing can be a wrecking ball for all your toys

☝...what he said! My cousin had his propane tank and buddy heater unsecured in his flipover while towing behind a snowmobile and yeah, it definately took some damage.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2022, 07:39 PM »
It will be fine. I’ve got a 12 year old big buddy heater that gets used A LOT. It’s doesn’t see much ice fishing anymore but still gets used a lot none the less. The only thing I’ve ever had to do to it is replace the thermocouple a few years ago, starts hard the first time I use it but after that works great. The regular buddy is 7 years old and I’ve never had to do anything to it. Almost exclusively use it while fishing, starts hard after bouncing for a bit though, I do have the Scheel’s carry bag for both and they work very well, bags look rough but the heaters look great!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2022, 08:53 PM »
 my portable buddy looks prehistoric.  has been towed behind skidoo in my flipover it's entire life, might look like hell but works like heaven  :tipup:

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2022, 12:49 AM »
Yep I broke a gas line on my big buddy, but it was a compound failure where a piece of plastic broke first, reducing the support to the gas lines.  If you pound a lot of miles over rough ice in cold weather, you can break em.  That said, I didn't feel like it was anything inadequate in the manufacturing, they're built pretty nicely, I just wasn't very easy on it.  I run mine in a tupperwear tote with blue foamy stacked in the bottom, inside a garbage bag (to keep snow off the burner & pilot).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.