Author Topic: Deadsticks?  (Read 6546 times)

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Deadsticks?
« on: Nov 19, 2003, 07:18 PM »
I've read several ice fishing articles that mention deadsticking, and some on this board have also used the term.  What exactly is it and what is it good for?  Thanks.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Re:Deadsticks?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2003, 07:32 PM »
Tommyboy,

The definition of dead sticking that i know of is using an ice fishing spinning rod and reel in a rod holder with a minnow or other bait underneath it. You watch the tip for any strikes. The only thing i know of that you use them for is deadsticking for walleyes. Hope that helped

-Evan

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2003, 07:36 PM »
Deadsticking is using a rod/reel either in a holder or laying down with no added movement. It is best (IMO) to use live bait such as a minnow and just keep an eye on it. I usually jig in one hole and deadstick another. You will want a light tipped rod for deadsticking. Hope this helps !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2003, 07:36 PM »
A dead stick is a rod with a limber tip that allows the fisherman to not use a bobber. He is able to detect bites by simply watching the tip of the rod. Its more of a technique than a tool. As in, to deadstick is to leave a rod alone with minnow swimming around waiting to get eaten. There are rods made specifically for this technique but I just use a rod Im not jigging with. This technique used to be called, leaving a rod with a minnow down there swimming around and no bobber so I have to watch the tip. Deadstick is certainly quicker to type. Hope this helps. Good for fish that are inactive or neutral. Mostly a walleye technique. But will catch anything that eats minners.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2003, 07:50 PM »
Very effective on perch in our area...the occasional bass thrown in for excitement. Try dead sticking on the bottom using a small slip sinker and 2' leader...it can be deadly around here.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Mr Seaguar;
LOL!! "leaving the rod..." That's exactly how I started DS'ing.
I fished with one rod with a active lure/bait and the other was a live bait rig and slip bobber. On the tougher bites the bobber was too much resistance, started trimming and sanding bobbers to balance them out. Got tired of the bobber for a specific lure shuffle. Then started fishing with out a bobber.....

Deadsticking is a great second rig because the fish come in to check out the color/flash of the active lure. If that dont get them the minnow struggling a couple feet away is often too hard to resist.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Thanks for the info so far...  Do you guys use any sort of "locking" rod holder for those times when your not really paying attention (not that that ever happens) or if you have a fish on the other line??  If so, where can I get one?

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2003, 08:58 PM »
nunzio, I use a dead stick but it works in reverse here in CNY. They come in to check out the minnow and then go over and slam the jig.
 I know because iv'e seen it on my fl-8 many times. Also my catch rate is around 20 to 1, jigs to minnows.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2003, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys!

Tony, I'm pretty sure were in the same area... Is there anyplace local that sells them?  I haven't been able to find them online anywhere.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2003, 10:32 AM »
Tommy; a deadstick can be any rod you don't hold in your hand.  The rock-n-reel is the best deadstick system by far. This sytem can be used for any spieces of fish. Here in Michigan i deadstick for bluegills, crappie and perch.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2003, 11:34 AM »
I use the orange rod holders from Tackle Tamer that clip on the side of a bucket for my dead stick rod.  I can quickly grab the rod and just pull it out of the holder.

http://www.tackletamer.com/rodholder.html

I have never lost a rod down a hole.

Big_Pete

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2003, 02:08 PM »
To me. If rocking reel=dead stick then dead stick=tip-up. Whats all the hype about? Who needs a reel? Hand over hand=exciting. Buy some ad space or something >:( Sing it with me. Go to sleep.... go to sleep.... go to sleep... ro-ckin-g re-el. Do I need ice ;)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2003, 02:59 PM »
A tip-up you leave relatively unatended and the flag alerts you to the bite. A dead stick sits at your side and you have to identify the bite yourself and set the hook.

A dead stick does not equal a tipup.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:01 PM »
Big Pete- Hhahahhhahahahahahahah aah. I could use some ice myself.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:25 PM »
Has anyone else tried using rattle reels instead of deadsticks? I modified a rattle reel for my clam and I like the way it notifies me by sound when I have a bite. Don't have to be always watching the rod or the bobber.
How does a rock n reel improve on this?
Chuck
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2003, 08:16 AM »
Someone introduced a rattle reel with a clip for use in portables. I had to replace a bunch of the clips in my Clam Junior last year. I bought some extra clips and a rattle reel to make one like you are talking about. I haven't made one yet but I think it is a great idea. Keep us posted.

Has anyone else tried using rattle reels instead of deadsticks? I modified a rattle reel for my clam and I like the way it notifies me by sound when I have a bite. Don't have to be always watching the rod or the bobber.
How does a rock n reel improve on this?
Chuck

Ice_Dog

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2003, 11:42 AM »
Some times I drill 2 holes right beside each other and actively jig in the right hole, and let a jig pole just sit in the left hole. Many times a couple of fish will come in at one time. When they do they sometimes take both bates 8)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2003, 04:55 PM »
Ice Dog, i use that trick from time to time. I driil 2 7'' holes and clean out the ice between them and end up with about a 7''x 16'' hole. Works good with 2 rods, also for short trolling action. ;D

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2003, 05:03 PM »
How do you guys who drill holes right next to each other keep the fish from getting tangled.  It seems like if I have less that 2' between the holes, inevitably, the crappie or gill get into the second line an makes a nasty tangle.  I set the "dead stick" shallower but the fish gets into it on the way up.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:50 PM »
Luckydog, sometimes they take the lower offering and its easy to pull out the shallow one. If your watching everything on a fishfinder you can usually figure out a pattern and avoid tangles.  On rare occasions i  get tangles :( I have pulled a few 10 and 12 hour nights with no tangles, but on the other hand i've had 3 or 4 in the first 2 hour. Arrrrg!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Luckydog,

That 2 hole system is SOP for me...especially when I'd rather not be out in the elements. Yeah you get tangled up sometimes, but the results are worth it. I deadstick one and jig the heck out of the other.

Works for me!
RGFIXIT
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2003, 09:58 AM »
I also always use two (sometimes 3) holes.  I just keep them around two feet apart because when I get them closer I the fish seem to tangle up the other line(s).  It's a real pain trying to untangle "invisible" 2 lb. line when you have Homer hands.  I usually end up just cutting the line and retying.  A real waste of fishing time.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2003, 04:34 PM »
Luckydog- I get bad tangles on windy days so I have started carrying several spare rods. Then I can just ditch the tangled one and shoot another right back down. I sort tangles at my leisure. Good luck.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2003, 08:46 PM »
 I use 1 and 1.5lb. mono it can be a mess at times. Like Mr.Seaguar I have 3 or 4 extra rods all rigged up so its not such a big deal :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.