Author Topic: line indicators?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
line indicators?
« on: Nov 10, 2003, 06:51 AM »
Anyone use these? I can remember my dad and his friend looping a knot next to a tip up reel to see if a fish just hit and didn't pull out line or perhaps a wind flag, To reset the tipup for a while knowing it wasn't laying on the bottom. At some point he changed to a little plastic ring,..I think they used to attach to chicken legs to id them. Is this something only WE did?

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:line indicators?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:32 AM »
Alot of people use buttons to mark how deep their line is set.  Last year I bought some inexpensive floats from STOPPER ICE.  These are slotted so they slip on the line and are held in place by inserting a small toothpick between the slot and the line. (www.stopperlures.com).  

They work pretty well (and give the kids something to goof around with) ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Rusty Hook

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2003, 08:17 AM »
I use the Palsa Strike Indicators from the fly fishing section at Bass Pro. They're made of foam and just fold them over the line and it sticks together, they can slide up and down. $2 for 24.
They also have styro floats down to 5/16 of an inch in diameter. About $1.50 for 6. I've used both and they work great and not much more expensive then a botton.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2003, 08:34 AM »
I use a slip bobber knot on my line - no tangles to worry about when you store your tipups, don't have to worry about it falling off or getting lost, and most importantly, it can't hang up or cause any resistance for Mr. Walleye to get spooked!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2003, 08:57 AM »
I can remember using a wood match stick. Now I use a small bobber. I got them from HT  like the round red and white bobbers but very small. They are sold as line markers. I think I got 10 for $1.50-$2.00.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2003, 09:06 AM »
Wow, I swear I just answered this same post on another site. I don't bother with tip=ups anymore but we used to use either a tiny red/whhite bobber or a button. Both worked fine.
Pete Lewis

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2003, 09:11 AM »
I use the same type bobbers as Fishdaddy. I think I got mine 10 for $1 at wally world.

The work better then buttons if you are changing depths (fishing brookies in 4' of water or lakers in 60').

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2003, 11:31 AM »
Wow, I swear I just answered this same post on another site. I don't bother with tip=ups anymore but we used to use either a tiny red/whhite bobber or a button. Both worked fine.

What do you use now?-V
-V

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2003, 11:42 PM »
I also use the slip bobber knot to mark the depth.  It is the easiest to use because you don't have to take it off when winding on the line at the end of the day.  Those little bobbers work but they're hard to get off with gloves on.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2003, 12:41 AM »
I use the Vexilar to set and reset my tipus.  And the bells I have on my flag give me the heads up.  When I hear bells I am running out the shanty door and watching the top of my Beaver dams to see if it is spinning.  It has worked great for me.  

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:47 PM »
Venzulo, I only jig and use a dead stick.
Pete Lewis

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:50 PM »
i use the type with asmall piece of metal and one eyelet that you tape to the end of your rod

mngonefishing

« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:59 PM »
If I am going to be fishing at about the same debt just in different holes. I will tie some yarn on to my line (any bright color will do). if i have clear line on i will sometimes just use a black marker and mark my depth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.