Author Topic: New to ice fishing  (Read 1811 times)

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to ice fishing
« on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Hey guys, so this summer was my first year ever fishing. it all started with a trip up to Northern Sask to lake Mctavish and it was unreal!.  Anyways now that the colder weather is here and the ice is starting to form i'm getting really excited to start ice fishing.  I dont really know a whole lot about ice fishing but i've been reading up on it to learn the basics.  I was just wondering if you guys would be able to give me some pointers on saftey, tackle, bait, equipment to get started, and where to find all them fish!  I primarily fish at Buffalo Pound and Blackstrap when i'm in Stoon.  Any advice to help me get started would be appreciated.  thanks :tipup:
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline aredog

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:58 AM »
a good auger,  2 rods, 2  5 gallon pales, a ice scoop (the basics)

hauger spoons single hook, use maggots for bait

humminbird 55 flasher :) - this will find ur fish

safety well use ur discretion... maybe go with someone who ice fishes a lot and just being out there you will learn about ice

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2011, 12:19 PM »
thanks aredog!  as for line i know its alot about prefrence but would a mono or braided be better with the cold weather/water? 
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I like braided better because it has no stretch.  When fishing outside it carries more water resulting in your guides freezing up faster, but for me no stretch is the most important thing.  I just bought some nanofil, super pricey but looks like it will hang on to less water

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2011, 01:01 PM »
ya i fished half the summer with braided and really enjoyed the no stretch of it.  i was just afraid of it freezing becasue i will be outside majority of the time. 

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2011, 01:11 PM »
What do you guys find works best for catching perch and walleye? just maggots on a single hook or a jig head?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum Quinn, your going to love ice fishing here in Saskatchewan.. it can be tough some days but the good days definitely make it with the troubles.

Some good lures around here are:

PK flutter fish, buckshot rattle spoons, hawger spoons, hawger 2000s, teetots and chubby darters.

PK spoons and buckshots are my go to lures but they all have a time and a place.

:tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2011, 02:09 PM »
thanks Layne.  Everyone i talk to about ice fishing has nothing bad to say about it at all.   Thanks for the advice on the lures i will have to go and get them and see which i find work for me.  thanks again for the advice. 

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I reccomend the qu'appelle chain for fishing around here. Buffalo pound does have some fish but not in the size or numbers of the other lakes IMO.

It's an extra 45 min drive but well worth it

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Auger - cant fish em if you cant drill em
Rods - At least two, even if you are planning only fishing one rod. Things get messed up sometimes. Panfish - Ultra light rod, spring bobber/quick tip a must, Light - Perch and walleye, Lake Trout rod if you are after Lake Trout. Frabill makes nice combos for a decent price
Shelter of some kind - Keep you warm and the wind off you = longer time spent on the ice = more productive = more fish
Flasher - Helps to locate, find depth and fish, plus they are just a whole lotta fun to watch. Flashers are a must if you want to be highly productive
Jigs - Sz 10/12 for panfish, Darters are great for crappies, perch and walleye, Spoons like buckshot spoons
Ice scoop - for cleaning out the hole
 :tipup:-
Heater
5- Gallon pales for bait and gear and/or for sitting
Gear such as hooks and lines
Warm clothing - Jacket, Boots, Bibs, Gloves.

And thats the basics. Get what you can and eventually get the rest. I almost guarantee if you can stand the cold you will be hooked! No pun intended.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:26 PM »
thanks Silvah i have never been fishing in the qu'appelle  region.  as for lakes in that area i know of of the lake by mission ridge... mission lake?  but never went there during open water. thanks again for the sugestion i will go there for sure this season!

Ryderr thanks a ton for all that info its going to help out so much! i was considering buying one rod for now and i was looking at this one TUNDRA GOLD COMBO 25"M by HT Enterprise? whats your thought?  i looked at frabill and i really do like the ultra lights for sure. i enjoy ultra light in open water so i would assume they would be just as enjoyable.  the fish ill be catching mostly this season will be perch, walleye and pike. the cold part will be the easiest part to do becasue ill be fishing!!

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:03 PM »
At buffalo pound you'll definitely be able to catch small perch.  Guys from my town went there lots last year but I always went the qu'appelle route.  They caught one 15 inch perch, but the vast majority were really small.  The time I was there we got a couple pike on tip ups too.  I prefer qu'appelle because if my spots on one lake are dead I can just change lakes. 

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Lots of 13 inch plus perch came out of the pound last winter.  Pike bite was slow for me picked up towards the end.  The kids and I might head out Sat afternoon check out ice and mabey set up some tipups close to shore.  We are on the lake most weekend from mid Dec on.  PM me, the more the merrier and always welcome.
Blake from Elbow

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:53 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it!  if you think of any more tips feel free to toss them on here!  thanks again!

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Auger - cant fish em if you cant drill em
Rods - At least two, even if you are planning only fishing one rod. Things get messed up sometimes. Panfish - Ultra light rod, spring bobber/quick tip a must, Light - Perch and walleye, Lake Trout rod if you are after Lake Trout. Frabill makes nice combos for a decent price
Shelter of some kind - Keep you warm and the wind off you = longer time spent on the ice = more productive = more fish
Flasher - Helps to locate, find depth and fish, plus they are just a whole lotta fun to watch. Flashers are a must if you want to be highly productive
Jigs - Sz 10/12 for panfish, Darters are great for crappies, perch and walleye, Spoons like buckshot spoons
Ice scoop - for cleaning out the hole
 :tipup:-
Heater
5- Gallon pales for bait and gear and/or for sitting
Gear such as hooks and lines
Warm clothing - Jacket, Boots, Bibs, Gloves.

And thats the basics. Get what you can and eventually get the rest. I almost guarantee if you can stand the cold you will be hooked! No pun intended.
And don't forget your fishing license ;D

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:37 PM »
And don't forget your fishing license ;D

lol! ya thats one thing i dont wanna forget!

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2011, 11:25 AM »
For me, its all about the pop up tent and propane heater. I fished for a lot of years using the truck for a windbreak, wind to the back, hands freezing, with my butt froze to the pail. Yes, its still fun, yes you still catch fish. But if your able to fish in some warmth, its way better. You are able to concentrate better on your jigging patterns, your line performs better, and you (or at least i do) generally catch more fish because of it. Plus if they fish aren't biting where your set up, its easy to re-locate.
Still counting.....

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Ya i do plan on getting a tent in the future for sure but a  lil pricey for me at the moment. maybe later on this season after i get the basics covered ill have to get one. i agree being able to stay slightly warm beats freezing anytime!!

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Got my first ice rod! got a Fenwick elitetech 27" M very excited to get out and use it!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Nice choice, I just picked up two of thoses up myself. Pair that with a Pfleuger reel and some 4 pound line and your ready to rock.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Welcome to the world of ice fishing!!!  Your questions are some of the most commonly asked when it comes to ice fishing, I don't know what your budget or maybe you don't have a budget but to buy everything in one shot in the same season can add up quite quickly. 

I would say the most important piece of your ice fishing arsenal is your auger.  No hole means no fishing unless of course you are going fishing with someone that has one.  Augers come in different configurations, manual hand operated augers are cheaper but require a bit more work to drill a hole when the ice gets thick however they work great when the ice is still thin my buddy and I shared one for a couple of years.  There are electric (hooks to your vehicle's battery), battery powered, propane powered and gasoline augers (sorry if I forgot any others).  Which can get more expensive.  I'd recommend a good gas powered auger and there are soo many options available. 

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Thanks!  ya i've heard a gas auger is the way to go but as you were saying they can be pricey.  im not a afraid of a little manual labour for the first year lol so i will most likely go with a hand auger for now and see how that goes. I do agree with gas augers, it is on my wish list for next season for sure.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Thanks!  ya i've heard a gas auger is the way to go but as you were saying they can be pricey.  im not a afraid of a little manual labour for the first year lol so i will most likely go with a hand auger for now and see how that goes. I do agree with gas augers, it is on my wish list for next season for sure.

At least with the hand auger you have a shot at getting on the ice and drilling a couple of holes that's the main thing.  I slowly accumulated all my stuff year after year.  Best of luck and stay safe out on the ice this season!!!! 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2011, 04:08 PM »
A cheap way to go, if you have a good cordless drill already.  Go buy a 6" hand auger and a drill/auger adapter they can be picked up for around 30 bucks.  I made one for my old 8" hand auger and used my 18 volt mikita lithium/ion drill.  The drill didn't like doing to many holes with the 8" and I tried it on a buddy's 6" and It drilled all day or until I killed the battery.
Blake from Elbow

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:12 PM »
A cheap way to go, if you have a good cordless drill already.  Go buy a 6" hand auger and a drill/auger adapter they can be picked up for around 30 bucks.  I made one for my old 8" hand auger and used my 18 volt mikita lithium/ion drill.  The drill didn't like doing to many holes with the 8" and I tried it on a buddy's 6" and It drilled all day or until I killed the battery.

thats a good idea for sure! might have to give it a shot! thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.