Author Topic: Does my finder bother the fish???  (Read 2451 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Does my finder bother the fish???
« on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:51 AM »
I love using my LX-7 but have noticed on some days when the bite is slow my  buddy fishing without electronics outfishes me.  Is it possible that the sonar pings affect the fish??  Anyone ever try watching with a camera as the sonar goes on and off?

And if it does affect the fish, does anyone make a finder in which the gain adjust makes the power level go up or down, instead of just the gain on the receiving end???  I don't fish in 1000', could probably use less power a lot of the time.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Does my finder bother the fish???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:06 PM »
I have not seen any research to prove the "ticking" off ducers negatively affect fish.

I am sure they hear it, I just dont know if they care. Furthermore, sounds travels alot further under water, they are hearing your ducer, the next persons ducer and alot of others fishing around you. I can hear stuff a very long ways off when Im diving so I can imagine how much better fish can "hear" underwater. When I'm diving boat engines sound like they are right on top of me but they are like a quarter mile away

I recently found out Burbot are known to chew on ducers under the ice. So its reasonable to think the fish can sense them.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:50 PM »
I have not seen any research to prove the "ticking" off ducers negatively affect fish.

I am sure they hear it, I just dont know if they care. Furthermore, sounds travels alot further under water, they are hearing your ducer, the next persons ducer and alot of others fishing around you. I can hear stuff a very long ways off when Im diving so I can imagine how much better fish can "hear" underwater. When I'm diving boat engines sound like they are right on top of me but they are like a quarter mile away

I recently found out Burbot are known to chew on ducers under the ice. So its reasonable to think the fish can sense them.

Saw that video too? Was pretty wild, I'd be freaking out if something was tugging the transducer.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I had a northern attack my ducer Right below the ice before but what was interesting,i was fishing over 70ft of water.super suspended!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:00 PM »
I don’t think they would be able to hear the actual sonar signal but the transducer click is relatively much louder. If anything, I think they would hear the click, and to me, the click sounds an awful lot like crustacean clicks and air clicks (burping and such) from fish. Fish are super dumb and it wouldn’t surprise me if they thought the transducer was either a very adventurous crustacean, a dying fish (especially directly under the ice), or just something making tasty sounds.

I would also like to think that if it did effect fish negatively, they wouldn’t be nearly as effective at locating fish. I also think a lot of us have become accustomed to relying on our electronics that when someone is doing better than us we assume it’s our gear and not the guy in control of that gear. I notice way more subtle bites when my flasher isn’t my main priority. I still wouldn’t go fishing without it though.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Well with the camera in the transducer cone,see lots of fish come in to check the camera out so it does not look like it is scaring them away. I know when I am into fish I have to force myself to stop looking at the screen and pay attention to my line and rod tip. Or I miss bights.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Saw that video too? Was pretty wild, I'd be freaking out if something was tugging the transducer.

Yup. The guy entertains me and he still caught the fish.

I would never think any fish would chomp on a ducer for a snack

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:20 AM »
if your buddy is close by your pings would also be affecting his fish as well.  if he is far away, he's just on fish and you are not. 

I've heard people talk about running a flasher over fish and then turning it off and the fish start biting but i've never once seen this happen in the handful of times i've tried it.  So to me all that is coincidental.   

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:35 PM »
I had a northern attack my ducer Right below the ice before but what was interesting,i was fishing over 70ft of water.super suspended!

Which makes me wonder did the ticking actually attract the fish or, furthermore, incite the attack? Pike and muskies are pretty shameless creatures. Actually had a muskie attack my running trolling motor once. Not a quick hitter either. Grabbed it and shook it like it was trying to eat the dang thing. Got the pics of tooth scratches on a virtually new TM to prove it too. I've also had pike nudge or mouth a camera, both a big rubber AquaVu and a little Marcum micro a number of times but never bite it very hard or try to take off with it.

I do know when I place the transducer against my head the ticking is very pronounced. Since sound travels much more efficiently through water than air I consider this a valid possible factor. I have read a couple of articles that have the fisherman turning off a locator when approaching an area and fishing, especially when vertically jigging. It could work entirely the other way as well by attracting fish to the sound and disposing them eat. Additionally, considering transducer frequency/frequencies, one may discourage a bite while a different one might incite it.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:18 PM »
If you ever had a camera on you can see a change spooks them. I've had  fish in on the camera and my vex then my buddy show up and put his vex on and and adjusts it and it startles a few of them but not enough to leave get used to it fairly quick. Another thing is turning on the IR lights on your camera will spook walleye and leave and most don't return.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.