The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Vexilar repair  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vexilar repair
« on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Picked up an fl8se that has an issue for free was wondering if anyone local does reliable vex repair or if sending it to vexilar is the only option... Idk what's wrong with it... It turns on but no colors on graph.... Every once and a while I'll get a spinning light but not often... I figured bad ducer but only one I have is for my fl20 and I don't think they are interchangeable
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar repair
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:29 PM »
start with the battery from your fl-20 and your transducer from your fl-20. I believe only the power cords are different. Sounds very possible it still is working. Do you get light at 12 Oclock on your dial?

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:56 PM »
are you doing this test on a lake or not? if not, do the hard floor test. maybe it's not broken at all. make sure the battery has over 12 volts before starting the test.
 the test instructions are on you tube.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Picked up an fl8se that has an issue for free was wondering if anyone local does reliable vex repair or if sending it to vexilar is the only option... Idk what's wrong with it... It turns on but no colors on graph.... Every once and a while I'll get a spinning light but not often... I figured bad ducer but only one I have is for my fl20 and I don't think they are interchangeable
that's is one of the things that happen with a dead battery on vexilars.watch tom z from vexilars battery vid.and transducers are all compatiable.good luck

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:27 AM »
there was just a video posted on the thread about the Walmart sla battery. One of the things the guy said is something about reading 12 v and not having lights on. maybe a bunk battery.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:43 PM »
I figured bad ducer but only one I have is for my fl20 and I don't think they are interchangeable
The transducers are interchangable.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:57 PM »
First I would swap out your batteries ....if same problem... then test your transducer by swapping that out test both units ...see video

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/accessories/service-and-replacement-parts/fl-series-brush-replacement-kit-svk001

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/service-shipping-information

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:07 PM »
http://www.vexilar.com/pages/brushes

Most of the time this symptom indicates a low battery that needs to be charged or replaced.  If you don’t have a voltage meter handy, a quick and easy test to verify this is to plug your charger into the wall and connect the Vexilar at the same time (you will not hurt anything by doing so).  If your Vexilar comes back to life when the charger is connected this confirms your battery needs to be charged or replaced.   

To properly check your battery with a voltage meter:

1.     Fully charge the battery
2.     Disconnect the charger
3.     Put a load on the battery by running the Vexilar for at least 10 minutes
4.     Connect your voltage meter to the battery

No battery is the same so it’s hard to put an exact number on what determines a good verses a bad battery.  A voltage reading around 12.5V (give or take a few tenths of a volt) would be considered a good battery.  A battery reading lower than this does not mean it’s unusable, it just may not last as many hours as battery at 100% capacity

From Vexilar FAQ
How can I make my FL-8 look brighter?

Often, the older FL-8 units get an accumulation of "brush dust" on the interior of the unit. This tends to affect the display, slowly, over a period of time. A good cleaning, and possibly a new brush assembly, is in order. You may be able to perform this service yourself.Click herefor detailed instructions on how to do so.

transducers explained

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Does your have an off and on switch that has a rubber boot over it. If it does remove the switch and wire it direct for a test. Mine did the same thing and that switch was bad. Mine was several years old and when I called for a new switch they sent me a new switch free of charge and a nice letter saying sorry for the inconvence

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:34 PM »
No I gotta disconnect the wires gimma a bit and I'll put a pic and vid... To be perfectly honest I've never used either unit.... A friend of mines grandfather passed away and he was getting rid of his fishing stuff... I told him I'd buy everything.... The next day he brought me 2 vexilars fl8se and fl20 said one worked and the other he wasn't sure....but he had no chargers... Just picked up a charger at shanty days yesterday after mark Martin was trying to sell me a 1200$ clam shanty lol so ....I'll charge up both and see what I come up with

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:42 PM »
No I gotta disconnect the wires gimma a bit and I'll put a pic and vid... To be perfectly honest I've never used either unit.... A friend of mines grandfather passed away and he was getting rid of his fishing stuff... I told him I'd buy everything.... The next day he brought me 2 vexilars fl8se and fl20 said one worked and the other he wasn't sure....but he had no chargers... Just picked up a charger at shanty days yesterday after mark Martin was trying to sell me a 1200$ clam shanty lol so ....I'll charge up both and see what I come up with

Does either unit have a battery gauge or lights...or do you have a voltmeter?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:50 PM »

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:52 PM »

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:53 PM »
It appears to have taken a spill at some point I just assumed it messed it up

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:55 PM »
hook it up with the charger plugged in/hooked up.its safe and see if it turns on..

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:49 PM »
The one on the right has the switch I was talking about. The new switches have a rubber boot over them. Vex told me that when used in snowy conditions they found that this switch would get moisture in it and fail

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Yea hopefully that doesn't happen lol that's the one that works great.... I haven't really put much effort into fixing the 8 because I can only use one and the 20 has the bottom lock so why use the 8.... But I was mulling the idea of trading the 8 for a flipover if I can get it working  properly... I have been looking for a shappell fx200.... I like the bench style instead of seats... But idc right now I have a viking suitcase style

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:49 AM »

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:50 AM »

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Good news.... The 8 works fine.... I think the battery is bad.... When I hook it to the charger it says it's charged.... But if I unhook the charger unit dies.... My fl20 charges fine so looks like I need a battery unless someone wants to trade a flipover for an fl8 lol

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:15 AM »
that is good news!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:35 PM »
So now I just need ice.... Some Saginaw river ice would be awesome but we won't see that til january

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.