The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: What's the best walleye rod and reel combo  (Read 2420 times)

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
What's the best walleye rod and reel combo
« on: Nov 26, 2017, 11:13 PM »
I'm finally set up for gills rods and reels now looking for advice for walleye rods.Has anybody tried using straight line reels on walleye. I sure like the push button release see fish on graph and push button to get there quick.
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
Re: What's the best walleye rod and reel combo
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017, 05:43 AM »
I picked up two of these last season (36" MH - just my preference as I use them for targeting large Northern as well), I like them so far and like the price even better. https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-rods-combos/no8-tackle-microtech-walleye-ice-combo/

I haven't used my inline reel for a lot of walleye. It does work well for the smaller eaters. Never caught a tank on it though, so I cant say how well they work for that application.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:24 AM »
I use my 6061s , on eyes and lakers , eyes run to 25” and lakers to 28-29”s with no problem , those were the first year they came out  , there are other inlines out there but have no hands on knowledge of them ,
Far as store bought rods I like 13 wicked rods I have them from ultra light to med heavy ,but that is my preference ,

Offline Doorny22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Last year I purchased a 13 Tickle stick 27"L.  Loved it so much that I purchased 6 more in various strengths.  I purchased 27" ML for walleye.  I figure that would be a decent rod for both perch and walleye.  Can't wait to get them on the ice

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Hey Wormdunker,
Franks, in Linwood, will be having there ice fishing show soon.  You could check them out and Northwoods in Pinconning to see what others in that area might find to work best for them. 
Amos

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:04 PM »
The best combo is not actually buying a combo.......buy a decent reel for 30$ it will much better than any reel a combo comes with. And buy a 30$ medium carbon rod, Sportsmans dieect sells my favorite walleye rod pick em for about 30$ 32" solid carbon rod light tip for spoons and even panfish and enough backbone to land Lakers.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Last year I purchased a 13 Tickle stick 27"L.  Loved it so much that I purchased 6 more in various strengths.  I purchased 27" ML for walleye.  I figure that would be a decent rod for both perch and walleye.  Can't wait to get them on the ice

I had problems with the Tickle Stick. I use a bright mono main line with a fluorocarbon leader. When fishing out side and the front guide starts to freeze up is when it happens. When reeling in the knot catches on the ice in the guide bends the tip and snap goes the rod tip on the tickle stick.   

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:39 AM »
I had problems with the Tickle Stick. I use a bright mono main line with a fluorocarbon leader. When fishing out side and the front guide starts to freeze up is when it happens. When reeling in the knot catches on the ice in the guide bends the tip and snap goes the rod tip on the tickle stick.

What knot are using to attach the leader? Also how long is your leader?

I used mine all last season and never noticed that issue. I will have to pay close attention this season and see if that also happens to me.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.