The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Perch/Walleye near Grand Rapids area??  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Doorny22

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch/Walleye near Grand Rapids area??
« on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:48 AM »
I am new to ice fishing.  Last year was my first year and I really got into it so I went and purchased everything I would need (and then some)!  I am really itching to get out but I want to know if there are some hidden gems or well known lakes near the Grand Rapids area that hold good Walleye and Perch.  Based on the fact that I am new I don't know a whole lot about which lakes are good or not.  I plan to explore more this year now that I feel more comfortable about my ability to fish well.  I am not expecting anyone to give me their special spots but if some can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.  I have been trying to research online as much as possible but sounds as if I will need to do a fair amount of traveling unless you all have other recommendations.   Thanks for the help.

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
Re: Perch/Walleye near Grand Rapids area??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Possibly Lincoln Lake, don't have a whole lot of info for ya though.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2017, 02:20 PM »
I am new to ice fishing.  Last year was my first year and I really got into it so I went and purchased everything I would need (and then some)!  I am really itching to get out but I want to know if there are some hidden gems or well known lakes near the Grand Rapids area that hold good Walleye and Perch.  Based on the fact that I am new I don't know a whole lot about which lakes are good or not.  I plan to explore more this year now that I feel more comfortable about my ability to fish well.  I am not expecting anyone to give me their special spots but if some can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.  I have been trying to research online as much as possible but sounds as if I will need to do a fair amount of traveling unless you all have other recommendations.   Thanks for the help.

you live in prime steel head country why look for perch? And walleye??  Oh Ya if fishing perch or eyes I always go to st clair or erie sorry but that the best for those type of same with sag bay.. I am In the middle of the state just east of lansing..  and would love to fish steel head you guys have..  but on the other haND I am here..  any how  try lakes attached to lake michigan that freeze well and fish the shallow water were grass flats are that and by marinas they like the cover.. that's about best advise I can give ya I know peremarquette lake holds perch.. but it's timing them and getting on them that is the problem..

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2017, 04:58 PM »
Go to deep lake in Yankee Springs. Make sure you have a trout stamp but good perch in they if they will bite. Go straight out from the landing 3/4 way across

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Just though of this since your new to ice fishing get your self a copy of ice fishing secrets produced by the infishermen staff  great book I got mine for a couple bucks on half.com I am sure barns and Noble or Amazon will have coppies..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2017, 08:26 AM »
get out and scout..thats about all you can do.bring a spud and be safe.

Offline Doorny22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:15 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I plan to do some boots on the ice work this year and visit as many lakes as I can.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Go on the michigan.gov/dnr website. You can look up which lakes they stock with walleye. If they stocked walleye 3 years ago they should be over 15" now.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:07 PM »
You will find that not many people are going to give up any information regarding and inland walleye/perch near grand rapids, mainly because they are few and far between...  Sure there are a few smaller private lakes where the association may have planted a few but not worth the time it will take to get on these lakes.  My best suggestion would be to check the DNR website on where the planted fingerlings and go from there.  Explore around and perhaps you will find some. 

Now for the obvious locations:  1.  The grand river:  Walleye tend to hold all year round, not ice fishing but can scratch the itch on occasion.  2.  Muskegon lake:  Can be both good for perch and walleye.  No big secret as there are a lot of fisherman but its a big body of water.  Try the sand docks or cottage grove for the perch and off of 2nd street for the walleye.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:23 PM »
If you ever feel like driving east to st Clair and getting yourself a Canadian license, I would be more than happy to out ya on some of the best perch fishing you'll see.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:45 PM »
One of the posts said Lincoln lake, this is basically a lake with a river flowing through it extreme caution should be used when ice fishing

Offline Doorny22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:55 AM »
Thank you for the heads up on that.  Hoping to be out on my buddies lake sometime next week.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2017, 11:21 AM »
I second the danger on Lincoln Lake...be very careful going out on that lake.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Go to deep lake in Yankee Springs. Make sure you have a trout stamp but good perch in they if they will bite. Go straight out from the landing 3/4 way across
I'm quite sure the new licenses come with the trout stamp; it's pretty much all species except sturgeon and muskie. And if they didn't, you wouldn't need one as long as you aren't targeting them (trout). Gonna check a little more on this.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2017, 12:31 PM »
they did away with the trout stamp years ago.all you can buy is a all species fishing license nowadays.the state forces guys to buy those even if they don't salmon/steelhead fish.i do so I don't care but making us not have a choice and force to buy a all species license even tho king salmon populations are ready to crash is fishy.lol.sorry about my little rant.back on topic.   

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:53 PM »
they did away with the trout stamp years ago.all you can buy is a all species fishing license nowadays.the state forces guys to buy those even if they don't salmon/steelhead fish.i do so I don't care but making us not have a choice and force to buy a all species license even tho king salmon populations are ready to crash is fishy.lol.sorry about my little rant.back on topic.

Just be glad you're not a non-resident. My non-resident MI license went from $34 to $76 in 2014.  Almost makes me want to move back to save the $$! lol

Offline tank81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2017, 08:19 PM »
I would love to get into some big perch around GR
BORN to ICE FISH forced to WORK

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:40 AM »

You can be at Houghton for eyes and perch or Higgins for perch in 90 minutes.  Muskegon in 60, White in 75.  Locally, Gun, Gull, Big Whitefish, and Wabasis all have what you are after (very few eyes in Gull), but you're looking at at least a 30 minute drive to those and good luck finding the eyes.  There is a bunch of good inland lake fishing...but you'll have to take the time to learn the lakes.  If you really want eyes and perch, I would just commit to making the drive to Muskegon or White.  Gills are hard to beat in the pan and cold water specks aren't far behind.  There are dozens of lakes close to BC where you can do very well on those species.  Ever since I started fishing eyes in Canada 30 years back, I have a hard time justifying the effort to find them around these parts (other than the Grand or Muskegon rivers).

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:25 AM »
   Houghton and Higgins are two and half hours away and Muskegon is a easy destination but the lake shore gets a lot more snow so your drive might suck some days .    Go 45 minutes north of GR and you will find plenty of nice lakes in a more country setting that have what your looking for and the ice is typically safer .

Offline bigrich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Hardy and Croton have walleye and perch also. Heck any lake in the area should have perch. Most have a few walleye if you can find them.

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:36 PM »
You can get a Musky / Sturgeon pass when you get your license ,but you have to tell the seller before it is printed

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:42 PM »
You can get a Musky / Sturgeon pass when you get your license ,but you have to tell the seller before it is printed
yep they are free. to bad the sturgeon stamp is only good for the great lakes I believe.i wish it was good for the rivers I fish.caught a few with the largest a little over 6ft while catfishing throughout the years but theres a no target law on them on the river I fish..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.