The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Clam Nanook  (Read 6244 times)

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Nanook
« on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:50 PM »
So looking at getting a new shanty, been looking last few years and after selling my two older ones last year I will need one.  Had debated a one man but often enough have the wife, niece, nephew or friends with so two man it is.  The weight is one concern but with a smitty sled nowt too worried.  Will be pulling on foot most ly.   Any suggestions or thoughts on the Nanook thermal, any good mods? 

[IMG]]

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Nanook
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Nanook is a great light weight flip over. One of my most versatile shack. You have enough room for 2 in there. Lower profile for those windy days. I took the bolts out where the seats bolt into the brackets. Now I just pin them in. Then I bought an extra seat bracket and I mounted it in the middle. Then it became a great one man shack too. Plus I had more room with just one seat in there. I really like the way it fishes and how easy it is to put it in the back of my truck by myself.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Thanks for the info, how does it pull in the snow?   Have you done any other mods or use a smitty sled?
[IMG]]

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:32 PM »
I use a 2 man clam also, and got rid of one seat, and put the other in the middle. Lots of elbow room. another thing I did was use milk crates to hold my gear I take with me, and use a small rifle case to hold my rods, it lays in the back, behind the milk crates. I pull with a snowmobile so I can't help you with dragging one. smitty sleds help.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Thanks for the info, how does it pull in the snow?   Have you done any other mods or use a smitty sled?

I love my nanook thermal, mainly for the reasons already mentioned. I also take out the second seat since I mainly fish alone. It isn't as big as some of the other 2 mans so it can get a little crowded at times, but nothing you can't manage. It pulls a little tough in 6+ inches of snow, but a smitty sled would help with that. I did quite a bit of research into the different 2 man shanties before going with the nanook and I wasn't disappointed...
Da Pack!

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am going to go with the thermal since its only a 5lb difference.  Is it possible to have the brackets mounted to have a seat centered but on the occasions someone is with me I can just have both seats in place?   
[IMG]]

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2017, 08:19 PM »
If the clam nanook has seats like the pic, all you need to do is unbolt the brackets under the rails that the seats sit on, and center one of them and drill new holes and put the bolts back in.when there's company, unbolt the single and move it, and install the second one.

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2017, 07:55 PM »
I have had mine for about 8 yrs. Love it.  Mine has the removable chairs, can set out side if you choose. 
I made and attached half inch conduit to the bottom, very durable, and very easy to pull on light snow. Smitty sled in deeper snow. Mine is not thermo, but it been good for keeping warm. I mostly pull it, I use a quad also. I use a gun case for my rods and a tub with lid under the seats. I have been happy with the canvas and zippers.  I do store and maintain it pretty good.  However, it has been used hard over the years. It can be cumbersome to load up into the truck. Its probably around 100ish pounds with the gear in it. I do like to hole hop, and it is nice not to have to tare down to move from hole to hole with your gear. It is a two man shanty, but I think it is nice as a one man. I see that the newer nanook has different seats, ( they are attached ). Good luck with your shanty  (Wich ever one you choose ).
Tight lines,    dangle

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Ignore if you are set on the nanook. But Eskimo just came out with the Sierra Thermal flip over which is fairly similar if you wanted another option to look at. MN Bassfisher here had a post about it, I wasn't too sure about it at first but saw it briefly in person and am thinking it will be my next shelter. I have fished out of a friends nanook and it isn't bad, the sierra is just a tad taller.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347784.msg3703319#msg3703319

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I will take a look at the Eskimo, reading his post it sounds like what I am looking for myself and if it is fact lighter better yet.   Thanks for the info
[IMG]]

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Anyone make the seats slide side to side? I want to make this modification but would like some ideas :tipup:
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2017, 06:10 PM »
I've had the Clam Nanook (Non-Thermal) for a handful of years now.  It's a wonderful, serviceable unit as a solo or 2-man unit. Added Hyfax Runners and took out the fixed double seats

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:26 PM »
I did take a look at the Eskimo and a few things I like about compared to the Nanook.  I like the square poles and it is a tad bit lighter in the spec sheets.  Leaning towards going with the Eskimo Sierra and building a smitty sled

Ignore if you are set on the nanook. But Eskimo just came out with the Sierra Thermal flip over which is fairly similar if you wanted another option to look at. MN Bassfisher here had a post about it, I wasn't too sure about it at first but saw it briefly in person and am thinking it will be my next shelter. I have fished out of a friends nanook and it isn't bad, the sierra is just a tad taller.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347784.msg3703319#msg3703319
[IMG]]

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:16 PM »
before I bought a flip over I was looking at the nanook. I changed my mind and went larger but originally I looked at the nanook and the yukon. I almost bought the yukon its very nice and slightly larger than the nanook. there is a Cabelas yukon model in black that comes with a bunch of accessories you might want to look at it and its a full thermal. good luck with your choice

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Ok, a bit of a curveballl.   While debating which way to go with my purchase I came a across the frabill aegis 2110.  It is only 60 lbs and has an insulated food and the seats slide.   I have had frabill shantys in the past not their flips however and never any real issues, just curious if anyone has any experience with their flipovers.  I like the square poles with eskimo as that seems like a better system compared to the round poles from what I have seen.   It looks like the sled is only 7" deep, is that common on the flips?   Any experience with the frabill flips?
[IMG]]

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Ok, a bit of a curveballl.   While debating which way to go with my purchase I came a across the frabill aegis 2110.  It is only 60 lbs and has an insulated food and the seats slide.   I have had frabill shantys in the past not their flips however and never any real issues, just curious if anyone has any experience with their flipovers.  I like the square poles with eskimo as that seems like a better system compared to the round poles from what I have seen.   It looks like the sled is only 7" deep, is that common on the flips?   Any experience with the frabill flips?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RQ7B6FLNYJDG9/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00XD5LS8W

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:00 AM »
I have owned a nanook for several years. I highly recommend putting on the highfax on the tub. I didn't think I would need them and wore a hole in the tub. Besides that great shanty easy to pull and clam offers a great tow bar when pulling on the wheeler.  I own a standard and a thermal shanty. I would definitely recommend spending a few extra on the thermal. Very warm and a much tougher tent.   Mark :tipup:

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2017, 10:51 AM »
I have the clam Nanook and I am extremely pleased with it. I'll probably add runners for it, though it pull really easy in the snow.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I have the clam Nanook and I am extremely pleased with it. I'll probably add runners for it, though it pull really easy in the snow.
we were just talking about how long the screws are for this kit. they said they are an inch too long and people have to cut them down with cut off wheels. one person said they will be using rivets on his next hyfax install for the nanock.
frabill is just as bad.
shappell is not bad at all.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351079.0

an easier fix would be to install just one screw and mark it with a permanent marker just above the nut and then remove it and take it to the hardware store and get them all in the correct length. or install the nut onto each screw (the nut will clean/chase the threads so they can be used again) and cut/grind them down and then install them. i would be worried about getting them too hot while cutting them in place.

the thing about rivets is they move and get loose over time and it would be hard to tighten them. on boats you have to hit them to tighten them from both sides. maybe use a marine sealant during installation.

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:11 PM »
 I just bought a Clam Nanook, Clam  Tow Bar and Clam Runner Kit. The Runner’s instructions said to run them all the way to the top lip under the front of the Hut which brings them flush to the back of the Hut.    The problem that I am having is that the towbar would wind  up exactly where the runners would be. Any Suggestions?[

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:45 PM »
with out seeing it, what about cutting them shorter or moving them over to a different rail.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:07 AM »
I'm not sure what Nanook everyone is talking about but I bought mine the season before last and my seats are NOT bolted in! They actually have a clamp on the back rail you pinch and come right out. No tools required. They also have the ability to slide from one end to the other on the seat rail. No mod needed for solo to 2 man. I actually always have both seats in it until I get to the lake, if Im by myself I take one out and put it in the truck. I do have a fish trap runner kit to be installed so ill probably go buy new bolts so I don't have to cut them. I am extremely pleased with mine. I just added clip on cold snap rod holders and think they will do the job if I ever get to use them this year.... I also love the seat in the nanook because they have an adjustable back and are made of that butt warming foam under denier fabric. Take a closer look before buying lighter, yes it is a bit heavier but sure is a nice unit for the whole day. I also use the milk crate in mine for keeping gear organized.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:12 AM »

As you can see in the picture they remove with ease.... note the other seat in the flat position. nice for putting in my truck with my bed cover on and you can sit with them in many back positions. the seats also slide front to back. I only wish I would bought the thermal......

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:09 AM »
with out seeing it, what about cutting them shorter or moving them over to a different rail.
  There’s  only two 5” rails on the bottom of the Nanook that the 2 runners could attach to. Cutting them down would probably be the better option but I’m afraid that they could get caught on something and rip a runner right off. I’m surprised they didn’t make the towbar over a little to avoid the runners.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:27 AM »
how about using the last hole in your runner to attach the tow bar? If that doesn't work, drill two holes in your tub and put an I bolt and a big backer washer inside to hold your tow bar.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:11 AM »
i have no idea what it all looks like still, so here are some more ideas to run past you.
probably can't put the tow bar on top of the hy-fax? maybe reshape the hy-fax where the bars would sit on it with a right angle grinder?
if the hy-fax is cut close to the bars/bracket it shouldn't get caught. you could use adhesive before bolting them. at least at the curved end.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:47 PM »
i have no idea what it all looks like still, so here are some more ideas to run past you.
probably can't put the tow bar on top of the hy-fax? maybe reshape the hy-fax where the bars would sit on it with a right angle grinder?
if the hy-fax is cut close to the bars/bracket it shouldn't get caught. you could use adhesive before bolting them. at least at the curved end.

I am not sure what it looks like either but have had a couple Clam shanties and Clam brand tow bars and they have always been made to fit each other with no modification or interference to the runner kit.  Maybe one of them is not compatible with the others based on model number and design but they have always been universal in my dealings.

As to the original Nanook question I fished out of one once last winter a friend had and found them small did not stay in it long.  I can say I was too spoiled after picking up the EVO 2iT.  Was a little concerned about the weight but for the room I gave it a try.  I did not take out any of my other shanties after I got it and sold 2 of the 4 I had.  The room is awesome and made a few modifications to make it a little more friendly to my fishing style.  I also put on a set of Hifax runners and pull it with a clam harness I picked up a few years ago.  With the EVO design the weight is positioned towards the back of the EVO in pulling position so it pulls like a dream up to 6 in of snow that I have pulled it in so far.  I do also have mechanical ways of pulling so I am not pulling it every time but cant say that I don't mind to when I had to like a couple of the clams I have had.  There is a lot of room to take the wife but I have fished out of it several times by myself with way more positives than negatives in my opinion and being over the 50 mark, in Ok shape, I found I could handle it pretty good by myself for the fishing I do.

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:35 PM »

Here’s what I’m up against

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I cant see any reason not to put the tow bar bracket over the runners....

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:29 PM »
I cant see any reason not to put the tow bar bracket over the runners....
I ended up calling Clam and they told me the same exact thing. Just might need longer bolts. Problem solved. Thanks for all the feedback!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.