The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: It Has Begun  (Read 2082 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It Has Begun
« on: Nov 28, 2021, 03:12 PM »
I am pleased to announce the start of the 2021-2022 icefishing season in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

As promised (see my last post "Pre Season Ice Report"), I went back to the Savoy State Forest today to check out Burnett's Pond and also get in a little skiing.

Much to my surprise, Burnett's is about 95% covered (except for the "back section" on the southern end) and has 3" of ice on it.

I brought my chisel, jigging rod, a container of bedraggled leftover worms and fished there from 12 to 3 PM.

The weather was overcast, in the upper 20's, a bit breezy (although the wind subsided later in the afternoon) and with intermittent flurries, with about 4" or so of snow on the ground on the way down to the pond.

Fishing was slow, and my rustiness cost me a few fish, but I eventually landed three so-so (8" to 9") perch and a middling-sized (14") pickerel.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to be able to kick off my ice fishing season this early.

After picking up my gear and walking back to my car (actually, my wife's van), I also managed to squeeze in a 20 minute jaunt out and back skiing on New State Road  - - with only one car passing me the whole time - - before driving home.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: It Has Begun
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2021, 03:25 PM »
nice job Jim. you beat me ;) I'm heading out tomorrow am as I also found some ice I'm going to fish in my area.  :tipup:

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2021, 03:44 PM »
nice job
stay safe
 :thumbsup:

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Awesome to hear, hopefully bump into you again this season.  Pontoosuc is starting to ice over in the bay areas. 

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Congrats on the first outing I'm excited to get out a few times this year.
nice job Jim. you beat me ;) I'm heading out tomorrow am as I also found some ice I'm going to fish in my area.  :tipup:
I have been fighting a cold and been on leave the last week so I havnt gotten out much or even driven by any skim ice. Excited to hear you are getting out locally

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2021, 08:05 PM »

Good luck!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2021, 08:06 PM »

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Awesome to hear, hopefully bump into you again this season.  Pontoosuc is starting to ice over in the bay areas.

Hope to see you out on the ice sometime soon.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Congrats on the first outing I'm excited to get out a few times this year. I have been fighting a cold and been on leave the last week so I havnt gotten out much or even driven by any skim ice. Excited to hear you are getting out locally

I hope you feel better (and get to do some ice fishing) soon.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Let the games begin. Nice job searching and finding hard water.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Nice work Jim.  I still need to pull the big boat...

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03:43 PM »
nice job!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Nice work Jim.  I took a ride and checked out the trout pond down the road on Monday and although locked up it wouldn't support my weight.  It may be ready by the weekend but today didn't help.
westernmas on the finder

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Nice work Jim.  I took a ride and checked out the trout pond down the road on Monday and although locked up it wouldn't support my weight.  It may be ready by the weekend but today didn't help.

Thanks for the scouting report, Pat!

Yes, the "trout pond" is about the same elevation as Burnett's, but takes a little longer to freeze solid (probably because it's a little bigger/deeper).

I agree today's warm weather didn't help, but hopefully Burnett's and at least a couple of the smaller ponds (Mausert's, K of C and maybe Bog) will have kept their ice cover for the weekend.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2021, 05:17 AM »
Heyyyyy Jim,,  Number 1 in the books!!! Good for You!!  We still got open watah here!!  Hope you get some fresh bait soon!!  Stay safe and warm Friend!!  O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2021, 06:52 AM »

If your referring to the pond that has a huge sign saying “unsafe” ice conditions then I went there 2 days ago and she was locked up with about 20 holes drilled 30 yards out. Yesterday the edge got choppy again from weather but I believe that froze back overnight with how cold it is up there
FLAGGGG!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.