Author Topic: Rod tip load bend  (Read 1711 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Rod tip load bend
« on: Dec 24, 2017, 01:11 AM »
I was thinking about my rods and jigging.  Of course blank action will vary among the rods that I own.  Just a little data collection.

(Copy and paste)

Side to side comparison of rod tip blank load bend with one ounce weight.  It's just all eyeballing but the results was quite eye opener for sure.  It's​ one thing to feel by hand and I was sure that the St Croix Premier Ice UL was the softest rod. 

St Croix Mojo UL 28" dropped 5 3/4"
13 Wicked Ice UL 27.5" dropped  6 1/2"
Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice UL 26" dropped 4 1/2"
St Croix Premier UL 28 dropped 6"

The half ounce weight results.

St Croix Mojo UL 28" dropped 3"
13 Wicked Ice UL 27.5" dropped  3 1/2"
Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice UL 26" dropped 2 1/2"
St Croix Premier UL 28 dropped 3 1/4"

What an unexpected results.  13 Wicked Ice UL is the softest rod blank

Moving onto the ML and one ounce weight.

St Croix Mojo ML 28" dropped 4 1/4"
13 Wicked Ice ML 26.5" dropped  1 1/2"
Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice ML 32" dropped 2 7/8"
St Croix Premier ML 28" dropped 3 3/4"
13 Whiteout ML 27.5" dropped 3"
Fenwick Aetos Ice ML 28" dropped 2"

The 13 Wicked Ice ML was expected to be really close to a medium power by hand feel.  To my surprise the St Croix Mojo ML is the softest rod blank.  I expected the Fenwick Aetos to be stiff, it does say extra fast tip action.

The Clam Ice Team Carbon Ice L 28" dropped 3 1/4"
Thorne Bros panfish sweetheart 32" dropped 4 1/4"
Thorne Bros perch sweetheart 32" dropped 3"
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CHM

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rod tip load bend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Good stuff.  You can take it one step farther and use a protractor to measure the tip angle while flexed with a weight.  Then you can determine which rods are faster action.

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Just dont let your wife see that list, then she'll know how many rods you have!!!  Interesting info...thanks.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:59 AM »
Good stuff.  You can take it one step farther and use a protractor to measure the tip angle while flexed with a weight.  Then you can determine which rods are faster action.

Originally I thought of graphing paper and all, but then I would have to get something mounted to wall and all.  Or get that tool hanging board with the grid holes.

The technical method would be some plastic sheets with the rod bend traced on them.  Then I can overlay them on spot for actual comparison over the grid graphing paper.  Then back in the days of college there was a physics formula to determine the focal point of the angular momentum la di da di dum...and a more simple trigonometry of the curve.

It's amazing how this ice rod industry has changed from typical top sections from full sized rods to actual ice rods.

Just dont let your wife see that list, then she'll know how many rods you have!!!  Interesting info...thanks.
No problem...don't have a wife.  Got more rods, but these are the newer ones that got me interested in making a comparison.  Part of it is because these newer rods are getting to the blank action that used to be found in only custom rods - namely Thorne Bros from what I own.  Why pay $$$ when you can get nearly same at half or less that cost.  And then again retail ice rods are getting up there in $$$ too. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.