New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339171 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9450 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:52 PM »
Wow. It’s one thing if you wanna risk your own life from lack of common sense, but to advertise publicly giving false information about ice conditions is just careless and inexperienced. That kid is a fool.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9451 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Wow. It’s one thing if you wanna risk your own life from lack of common sense, but to advertise publicly giving false information about ice conditions is just careless and inexperienced. That kid is a fool.
Can’t fix stupid

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9452 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:59 PM »
'Not to mention his twins.

Hope things are better before the snow hits.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9453 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Can’t fix stupid

Reports of scarier ice conditions have been sent to me since.  That lake and the black ice gets extremely tricky when its like this.  The last time I fished these conditions there the guy behind me crossing the ridge at vets had to be rescued.  I got very lucky.

Lance and crew you guys be safe. I'm sure its gonna be wild tomorrow

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9454 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:32 PM »

Looks like I’ll wait another week for lg lol.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9455 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Looks like I’ll wait another week for lg lol.

There are spots you can fish all day without issues just avoid the board lake and deep water.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9456 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:18 PM »

you are not kidding about the wild ride part :o :o :o :o :o

winds 20-30, gusts to 50mph, hold on tight!

JJ

« Reply #9457 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:41 PM »
ice update

the white ice should be good to go this weekend (bays, south of diamond point, huletts south to narrows)

everywhere else will be touch and go.  below is a pic from today mid-lake off ft anne beach.   6"-8" of clear ice and then open holes.

After using my machine to access the lake last weekend, i will be walking this weekend.

Please use common sense and your spud bar this weekend.

NOTE TO ALL: there is a large section of black ice from Cannon PT/Diamond PT to Speaker Heck/Assembly PT that formed at the same time as the black ice from Long Island north; white ice both sides. It is very visible and if the other ice is deteriorating, then this probably is, too. Do not take a machine across it now and check before even walking it.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9458 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:16 PM »
There are spots you can fish all day without issues just avoid the board lake and deep water.

Ah maybe next week. I think I’m going to hit up the gsl for eyes one more time before the tournaments start.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9459 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Reports of scarier ice conditions have been sent to me since.  That lake and the black ice gets extremely tricky when its like this.  The last time I fished these conditions there the guy behind me crossing the ridge at vets had to be rescued.  I got very lucky.

Your not kidding.

Several years ago I was out at Phelps island fishing lakers with my father. My dad has been ice fishing since he learned how to walk. Might even be the best guy I know at reading ice. Has even saved multiple guys that have gone through the ice, while jumping in the water himself to save them. Actually several accounts were on LG... all from people who didn’t have any business being out on those conditions to begin with...

Anyways, this was sometime in March we were out at phelps island off pilots knob. Conditions were dwindling when we went out at 7am. Plenty of guys out there. I was weary.. my dad said “follow me and grabbed a plank”. We got out there to the island. Spent a few hours smashing the lakers (one of those days they just hit anything and everything) and by 2pm or so, the wind started really cranking up and we noticed the ice conditions were changing by the minute. No one else was out there that we could see anymore. We packed up our stuff and started hiking back. The wind had completely shifted the ice. We were basically walking across giant floating ice chunks. Big ridges have opened. Open water areas popped up. It was insane how fast that lake went from OK to the absolute worst. I was scared crapless. My dad got me/ us back to the truck. The next day, that whole center basin was open water.

Lesson learned. Don’t play on dwindling LG ice conditions. When she wants to open up, she is doing it.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9460 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Last year Easter Sunday 12” next day 6 tell em iowa u seent it

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9461 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Last year Easter Sunday 12” next day 6 tell em iowa u seent it

6" of ice gone in one day and getting off was interesting. The winds forecast tomorrow are enough to break up rotten ice.  I haven't seen what the lows are but you wouldn't catch me out deep unless it was in the 20's.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9462 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I'll confirm. Main lake got sketchy when that sun popped through today, it drilled like late March ice except instead of having 12" it had 4-6". I moved in quick.
I love clipboard man

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #9463 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Thank You guys for all the honest and accurate reports, very much appreciated. Stay safe....

Offline Snowrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9464 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Fished Harris bay this afternoon. The shoreline was solid there were a few spots on the way out past the marina that were opened up 3’ diameter hole. There were a couple other spots that look sketchy. We made it out and back with no problem. Be careful if you’re going out in the dark. All the holes we drilled had 8” of ice.
Ps the fishing was terrible!!!

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9465 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:10 PM »
whats up guys. im planning on fishing lake george for the first time ever next weekend. im staying in ticonderoga and was wondering where i can get on safley for some lakers? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9466 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:14 PM »
if anyone wants to join us on saturday and maybe show us a spot or 2 feel free! always up for meeting and fishing with new people

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9467 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:48 PM »
6" of ice gone in one day and getting off was interesting. The winds forecast tomorrow are enough to break up rotten ice.  I haven't seen what the lows are but you wouldn't catch me out deep unless it was in the 20's.
But this is February 8th. How can this be.
I don't think anyone will be on the queen of lakes come April

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9468 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:11 PM »
That lake is a good cold snap away from putting a lot of ice on this was the January thaw a little late

Offline biggmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9469 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:37 PM »
How did huddle bay hold up

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9470 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:25 PM »
The ice is definitely honeycombed.  No water on the ice this morning was a dead give away.  The wind was brutal!!! Strongest gusts I've ever seen on the ice!  Almost got blown down the lake in the flip over multiple times but stuck it out and ended up with a PB!

AM

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9471 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:34 PM »
But this is February 8th. How can this be.
I don't think anyone will be on the queen of lakes come April

Time will tell.  I'll never forget the year the king froze in March...congrats on the PB fishmarket

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9472 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Wow it’s windy

Fishmon

« Reply #9473 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:59 AM »
It seems like you're doing good with it.  If I don't mark a trout in about 5 minutes I move about 50 to 75 yards at a time as you can go all day and not mark much and then pop 15 or 20 trout back to back in one hole. It's just how I like to fish and works for me but things are different in the north basin versus south basin of the KING.  The north basin doesn't seem to have the numbers or steady action but the tactics are the same and you've got a realistic shot at bigger fish up there.  There's just a handful of jigs in a couple colors you need to have for LG lakers that pretty much work everytime and the rest is just finding active trout.

Definitely works in North Basin!  Recently had an amazing day and got my PB for this year at 31 inches. Lost a shark that I wished I could have got a look at before he said See Ya! Fun stuff.

Anyone going out should be extra careful until things lock up solid again.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9474 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Time will tell.  I'll never forget the year the king froze in March...congrats on the PB fishmarket

Not that long ago, 2017. MLB froze in March and thawed in March,  had about 2 week window.
2016 it did not freeze at all.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9475 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:16 AM »
The ice is definitely honeycombed.  No water on the ice this morning was a dead give away.  The wind was brutal!!! Strongest gusts I've ever seen on the ice!  Almost got blown down the lake in the flip over multiple times but stuck it out and ended up with a PB!

Awesome Fish Allen, congrats Bro! 😃💪🏻

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9476 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Nice fish! Congratulations on the PB!!

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9477 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Hope guys aren't being blown around out on the lake this morning I'm glad im stuck working and not dealing with the wind. Tomorrow will be a much better day hopefully my big suckers 10-15in that I'm going to lay on the bottom fresh dead get eaten by troutzilla tomorrow!!!!
Go big or go home

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9478 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Great trout man!

Offline senko69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9479 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Does anyone who may have been out on the lake today have a "general" ice thickness report for main lake area south of Speaker Heck Island? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.