Author Topic: Which rod and reels do you use?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline SteelFitter87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which rod and reels do you use?
« on: Jul 16, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I wanna know what rod and reel combo you guys use and for what species of fish. What are good inexpensive combo you would recommened?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Which rod and reels do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I fish for panfish and the rod I use the most is a gander mtn one, not sure the model.. but it is a 24" UL and I use a spring bobber attached to the tip. Reel is a pflueger trion micro spooled with 2# micro ice. I use this for jigging plastics, and sometimes tip it with bait.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Gander mountain branded rod/reels are a good way to go. They last forever. I have a few that I now use as back ups only because I got bored with them.  ;D I currently have a Frabill 26" Quick Tip that I bought with a Frabill 5 Bearing Reel for $40. I love quick tips over the typical spring bobber type. I also have a panfish popper which is a great rod, but the drag on the reel is bad I think I paid $25 for that set up. Personally my favorite cheap set up is an Ice Blue ultra light rod. You can pick them up at Walmart for $9 for the rod and pair it up with your favorite reel. They do warp a tad after a few years, but for $9 you cant go wrong. Super fun to catch panfish on as well, and I have landed bass and pike on the rods without breaking them. For Perch/Walleye I just picked up another Frabill Ice Hunter Light action I believe the series is called with a 3Bearing reel. I forget how much I paid but it wasnt too much. I am not much into Lake Trout fishing so I cant really help you there.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2011, 10:15 PM »
On a budget, I use Ice blues and schooleys

When I have a little more to spend I use jason mitchell sight rods with a st croix spring added and schooleys

And whenever i get a few extra hundreds I order myself thorne rods with schooleys or fly reels

You can also build yourself a high end custom for under 20, I have a ton of rods and Use my own customs as well, but I did away with all my spinning reels other than on my walleye rods. I run schooleys on almost everything as well as 3 fly reels.

It all depends on what YOU can Afford...... Doesnt matter what we run.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2011, 08:04 AM »
for eyes and perch i use yad rods tough and cheap and a great feel with synergy 200  reels with fire line ,it doesn't pay for me to by expensive rods and reels cause I'm pretty hard on them   

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2011, 11:15 AM »
For panfish in 15ft or less the marmish palm rods are hard to beat.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Current's noodle rod and an ultra light Rapala reel, 2 lb micro ice. No need for a strike indicator, and a ton of fun on bluegills.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2011, 09:35 PM »
The gander reels for $20 are not bad.  4 ball bearing, and smooth drag have them on St. croix UL and variety of HT rods.  HT blue ice for $10 are nice for panfish and have a variety of lengths and do not require a spring bobber and take a beating.
For walleyes/trout I use medium action st. croix or jason mitchell paired up with a nice shimano reel.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2011, 10:24 PM »
I like the Jason Mitchell series rods, inexpensive compared to Thorne Bros. custom rods, but a little pricier than some of the other rods out there. Frabil QuickTip rod combos are also hard to beat for value. Light action for pannies, med. light for eyes and bass.  3 and 4 lb test line..

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2011, 07:16 AM »
I have two rods that are store bought- an Ice-Lite Ugly Stick,one of my pannie sticks, and a SouthBend Med/Hvy Rod which I jig for smallies with,my spooning rod. The remainder of my arsenal are all homemade and sport relatively cheap reels with 4lb test. I`m a frugal(read as cheap) guy and won`t be running Ticas on ThorneBruthas Customs unless I win the lottery. The panfish don`t care.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2011, 07:48 AM »
Gander combo is a nice inexpensive set-up. I bought it on sale also.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2011, 08:34 AM »
If you are going to pick up a combo that is quite affordable check out the Jason Mitchell rods/reels.  I have a walleye 26" rod paired with a Tica GV500.  I also have a 36" Mackinaw rod paired with an Abu bait caster for pike, and hopefully this winter for some lake trout.  My other panfish rods are built by JR's Tackle/Jacks Tackle and all paired with Tica UL reels.

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Anything and Everything ! ;D Hmm, let see now, Shimano, Diawa, Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Okuma, H.T. and Proscandinavia Reels ! HT Togue Series and Ice Blues, Northland Meat stick and Trickstick, Okuma Panfish Lites, Frabill Sensastix Rods. The only Really Pricy outfits are the Diawa LC Depth counter Level wind reels because the Big Lakers tear everything else up !  :'( ;D

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2011, 08:58 AM »
I have 3 Frabill Ice Hunter Rods with Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 Reels. I also have a couple South Bend Blizzard Rods with the Frabill Bro Reels.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2011, 10:11 PM »
I have three of the Frabill 26" QT with the 5 bearing reels. IMO these are a steal. The rods are sensitive enough you don't need a bobber but still have lots of back bone 8" down the rod. At less than $50 for rod and reel how can u go wrong? I would love to try a power noodle,but the $85 price for just rod and shipping is hard to justify.
 Good Luck!
  Matt

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Anything and Everything ! ;D Hmm, let see now, Shimano, Diawa, Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Okuma, H.T. and Proscandinavia Reels ! HT Togue Series and Ice Blues, Northland Meat stick and Trickstick, Okuma Panfish Lites, Frabill Sensastix Rods. The only Really Pricy outfits are the Diawa LC Depth counter Level wind reels because the Big Lakers tear everything else up !  :'( ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey Surf,

What kind of rod is that with the line counter reel on it?

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Thats a Diawa Accudepth Plus 17 LC Convetional reel, I use it to target Suspended Lake Trout in deep water !

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Thats a Diawa Accudepth Plus 17 LC Convetional reel, I use it to target Suspended Lake Trout in deep water !

Thanks Surf.  What kind or rod is it on?  It that a custom job?

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2011, 12:59 PM »
It's standard run of the mill HT Togue Series Model, 26" Heavy !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.