New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: atvs and ice fishing  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: atvs and ice fishing
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2022, 08:31 AM »
    The last time I read about it you are correct with your statement.  So until they figure it out put an orange triangle on the back and don't do stupid stuff.

I am pretty sure the orange triangle designates a farm vehicle and is mainly allowed for travel between farm lands. I have one on my JD Gator and my lawn care tractor I use to care for the 120 acres I care for but I highly doubt that would allow either vehicle on the ice unless my property bordered the lake. Lots of gray areas in the NY vehicle and traffic laws where ORVs are concerned but your statement about Not being an idiot probably holds the most water, frozen or not.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2022, 11:04 AM »
all i know is if your on most  ny waterways with a ATV now  it better float  and you need a up to date boat registration

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 20, 2022, 01:16 PM »
Many people think because they put a triangle on a side by side they can use on public roads to and that's absolutely wrong according to dmv website

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 20, 2022, 03:28 PM »
Many people think because they put a triangle on a side by side they can use on public roads to and that's absolutely wrong according to dmv website

That is a Yes and a NO! My property is half a mile along a public road on both sides and that triangle allows me to travel on it along my property. No, it does not allow me to go up the road to my buddies place a few properties away.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Mar 20, 2022, 04:18 PM »

So it’s registered agricultural?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 20, 2022, 06:23 PM »
  So it’s registered agricultural?

I believe only roadworthy motor vehicles can be registered with the DMV as agricultural but they must be insured. Vehicles such as tractors and UTVs are not registered as motor vehicles and only legal on short hops between fields and such.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Mar 20, 2022, 06:32 PM »

This is what I found ,
http://In short, UTVs are not allowed to be driven on any public road or highway. In light of the above, if any law enforcement agency stops someone driving a UTV on a public highway or road, the violation they can be charged with is under VTL section 401(1) (a) –unregistered motor vehicle.Jun 15, 2020
https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com › ...
UTVs cannot be legally operated on public roads | News, Sports, Jobs

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 20, 2022, 07:27 PM »
I have the SMV (slow moving vehicle) orange triangle on my side by side. It’s insured and mostly used on trail system. Hopefully they will allow registration on them in the near future to sort out all the BS.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 20, 2022, 09:26 PM »

This is what I found ,
http://In short, UTVs are not allowed to be driven on any public road or highway. In light of the above, if any law enforcement agency stops someone driving a UTV on a public highway or road, the violation they can be charged with is under VTL section 401(1) (a) –unregistered motor vehicle.Jun 15, 2020
https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com › ...
UTVs cannot be legally operated on public roads | News, Sports, Jobs

That is exactly what I meant when I said there is a lot of gray areas in the VTLs here and in many parts of this state. We have been driving Work Trucks, ATVs, UTVs, Dirt bikes, Farm and Garden tractors and pulling all sorts of trailers and implements up and down the road between our farm for as long as I have been alive and never once have we had any issues with the authorities and plenty of Sheriff's and SP cars pass right by us. BTW, all of this equipment is insured under a farm umbrella policy as long as it is going between our farm property. I think this conversation started with UTVs or S X S vehicles on the ice on public lakes that do allow registered and insured motor vehicles, we don't use them there but I do use a Snowdog on those lakes and that is not registered or insured and the NY DMV does not have any rule or law for it yet. DEC officers and Forest Rangers have visited me out on the ice to check my fishing license and never once said a word about the track machine other than they like it.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 21, 2022, 08:57 AM »
I live in owego we have people running side by side in town it's not legal but they do it alli can say is if you cause or at in an accident you better have pretty damn good insurance on it

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 21, 2022, 09:34 AM »
I have buddies who run their SXS or UTVs, from trail to trail on the roads, all are highly dialed in up near Tug Hill. I guess it is not legal but from what they tell me no one bothers them and the town welcomes their business. You can't do it here except that I see all the local farmers running all sorts of machines just like we do. I am pretty sure if a rookie cop gave me a ticket the local judge (JP) would toss it right out as long as I am between our property.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 21, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I personally have no problem with a farmer using them from field to field but often it's to go hunting down the road or a joyride we have a few that go by our house every afternoon definitely not farm activity

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 21, 2022, 02:51 PM »
I personally have no problem with a farmer using them from field to field but often it's to go hunting down the road or a joyride we have a few that go by our house every afternoon definitely not farm activity

It is a little over a quarter mile from my house to the last orchard and I run back and forth almost daily on one machine or another. The farm has been family owned since 1852 and the road we are on is just an offshoot from the main road for as long as I can remember. We own every home on the road as well as the family cemetery so what happens here is pretty much our concern. The town does own and maintain the road but we own both sides of it. Again, Apples and Oranges when comparing this with the original discussion of UTVs on the public lake ice.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2022, 03:44 PM »
Anybody figure out what lakes allow ATV/UTV use??
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2022, 04:03 PM »
I dont believe there is one centralized place you can find that info,KP. Would make too much sense for NYS to do it. Have to search for the info individually for the body of water toure planning on riding on.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 21, 2022, 06:16 PM »
I dont believe there is one centralized place you can find that info,KP. Would make too much sense for NYS to do it. Have to search for the info individually for the body of water toure planning on riding on.
You’re right. I’ve looked everywhere on the inner-web. Only a couple kinda say anything about atv use.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 21, 2022, 06:28 PM »
I have been part of a farming family most of my life. Here's the skinny on your registrations and signs/plates.
  Any vehicle that the DMV requires a registration must have one.  Such as 4x4, snowmobile, automobile, boat, etc.
 I have an old plow truck which is used to plow two homes on our farm 1/4 mile apart. I also use the truck to visit the local transfer station. This is spelled out in black and green on my $5 registration for which I get "farm plates". Any vehicle with Farm plates does not require an inspection. (Good thing because mine won't pass). I am still required to carry insurance but am only allowed to travel to said locations. I am not allowed to run to town for errands or to go ice fishing. As far as the orange triangle is concerned, that only designates a slow moving vehicle such as a tractor or similar machinery. This sign does not allow any vehicle to travel on a highway which should otherwise be "registered". It also does not allow you to travel with an unregistered vehicle if said vehicle requires one. Check with your local DMV if you want accurate information.
I also have a 4x4 for which I am required to have a registration and insurance but am still not allowed to run on any highway unless that highway is posted as so. Similar to the snowmobile trails.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 22, 2022, 04:52 AM »
i learned that in new york state if you ride a bicycle after dark you are required to have a head light and tail light.......yes i found this out by being pulled over ....a very nice young police officer ....i laughed and said  damn things changed i hadn't rode a bicycle in over 50 years... we both had a laugh ......another time going  fishing  i see lights behind me .....i know i wasn't speeding the schoolbus passed  me and the  kids mooned  me and  a old couple beeped  and yelled get of the rode slow poke ...... he walks up to the  truck and  said sir you can not test and drive....i said  buddy i can't text period, he  said i  observed you texting  .....nope  not even a cell  phone   near me it's in my  fishing bag .... then i realized what he seen.....i had my little  transister radio and  was  getting  the  station in......he looked   bewildered and said  don't  do that no more .....and  left ......and now i now  i'm a  old fart i'm not a criminal i am a nuisance....... now  where  can i get a triangle  sign  for  my  rider ....couple  rod holders  and a  bungee to hold my  bucket on  and i'll drive threw town and really upset  the  cops .....they'll never take me alive

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 22, 2022, 05:19 AM »
Trapper, I know we shouldn't encourage you but well said  ;D

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #49 on: Mar 22, 2022, 05:31 AM »
here in pa lots of small rural townships made their roads legal to run sxs so people can go to the pizza shops and other things of that nature these twps are also hooked to the trail systems though  also it only cost me about 90 bucks for the year for insurrance

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 22, 2022, 05:43 AM »
Trapper, I know we shouldn't encourage you but well said  ;D
x2 😁

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 22, 2022, 08:50 AM »
So whats the problem with them using it for hunting? or even joyriding?  If they aren't getting ticketed, good.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Mar 22, 2022, 05:13 PM »
So whats the problem with them using it for hunting? or even joyriding?  If they aren't getting ticketed, good.

because  i'm coming back and  i'll put a  end to this  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.