New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Herbicides - Lake George  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Herbicides - Lake George
« on: Mar 09, 2022, 12:56 PM »
I saw the LGPC is looking to do a trial run with a milfoil herbicide on ~6 acres of LG. Proposal is still in the works and i believe a public comment period is still to come but wanted to at least spread the word. I'm always hesitant to willingly introduce any kind of new chemical into the lake.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/11/herbicide-on-lake-george-to-foil-milfoil/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Herbicides - Lake George
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2022, 06:45 PM »
This has ruined so many of the places I fish.  Lakeside residents want things like a swimming pool, no weeds. Having had experience trying to fight against measures like this on other lakes with wealthy residents I will say its an uphill battle unless you can get an injunction from the state to stop it.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Wait till they start charging you for a milfoil sticker
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2022, 08:05 AM »
Wait till they start charging you for a milfoil sticker

Yup thats how these places typically get and what kills me is the power these lake associations have.  It's rather frightening. 

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2022, 09:32 PM »
This has ruined so many of the places I fish.  Lakeside residents want things like a swimming pool, no weeds. Having had experience trying to fight against measures like this on other lakes with wealthy residents I will say its an uphill battle unless you can get an injunction from the state to stop it.

State are the ones issuing permits to put chemicals in. uphill is an understatement

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2022, 05:55 AM »
[quoteI saw the LGPC is looking to do a trial run with a milfoil herbicide on ~6 acres of LG. Proposal is still in the works and i believe a public comment period is still to come but wanted to at least spread the word. I'm always hesitant to willingly introduce any kind of new chemical into the lake.][/quote]

Complete and utter waste of time and money. My son worked on Lake Tahoe for 2 years doing invasive weed remediation. Lets see...they tried chemical solutions, weed mats, harvesters, scuba divers pulling it up, education, bubblers, etc. They've had some success in slowing the spread, but the Tahoe Keys area is still bad. The problem? The Lake Orgs and HOAs.  Many of the residents want a perfect lawn and put down fertilizers and water. Which runs back into the lake. The feds, state, and local govenments have put 10s of millions into this with minimal success.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2022, 10:40 AM »
From what I read about milfoil and LG in the past, I seem to remember that only about 5% of the lake would support milfoil growth (shallow water. soft bottom), so it's not really a threat to the lake's health.

But that 5% includes most of the areas important for tourism (ie: money).  Money is involved, so don't be surprised if they poison the whole lake with chemicals so some folks can profit from the 5% of the lake where milfoil is a problem.

>:(

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2022, 05:57 AM »
State are the ones issuing permits to put chemicals in. uphill is an understatement

Yup.  I battled a lake in Mass for doing a draw down that impedes a public right of way.  The state washed their hands first despite approving the permit for the drawdown.  I could have taken the town to court.  Lawyers were looking for 10k retainers to start...apparently they dont like uphill battles either.  I gave up.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06:45 AM »
its unfortunate they give homeowners the power over the general population.  after all public lakes are everyone's not just the people that live there or it would be private.

got a worse problem around here with the amish.  they have been using karmex to kill pond weeds.  they buy it by the gallons and dump it where they want.  this is a very bad chemical that causes cancer.  it leeches down into ground water and contaminates everyone's wells around there!  there is a reason its a federal offence to use it in water.  they don't believe our laws pertain to them though.  i wouldn't put it past them to dump it in our public waters too! imo any weed killer is bad stuff for lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.