Author Topic: Vexilar FLX 28 info.  (Read 30233 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Vexilar FLX 28 info.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:23 AM »
How is that trolling ding dong?  Pro staff are supposed to be the eyes and ears of these companies, not just push their crap every chance they get. 

It's a legitimate gripe.  I use my adjustable zoom and would never buy a flasher with out it again.  When fishing over a 100'+ and the fish are schooled in a 20' section, it's real nice to zoom into that school. 

Speaking of trolling You're really trying to bait guys in here, but when I bring up my legit inner issue, you cry troll, horse pucky.

I'd switch brands in a heart beat if I found something that suited me better, I have no brand loyalty, that's a fools pride.

Sure sounds like you're all worked up, doesn't it? lol.

I guess my comment still stands, and you're still a troll. I'm happy your marcum works for you though.

I only said that because I knew my friends would be reading, and we enjoy giving each other a hard time. Sorry you took it to heart cupcake.  :'(  :'(
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Cool story, I'm not worked up in the least  :)

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:02 AM »
The fish I typically chase are typically roaming the break lines and weeds in search of food.  It is extremely rare for me to find them suspended any more than 6' off the bottom.  The problem I had with "adjustable zoom" is by the time I got it moved to the bottom and set correctly on the bottom the fish were gone.

I have had very few occasions when I have searche and found fish 20' down in 40' of water.  When that happens I don't use the 40' scale and opt for the 20' scale (or 30' at times) and can view those fish in greater detail. 

I'm very happy with my Vexilars and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I fish suspended crappie a lot; if needed you can always set the vex's range short of the full column to expand the view.  Not as handy as an adjustable zoom, but a valid option for certain situations.  I call it the short bus zoom method.

Lb

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:58 AM »
The fish I typically chase are typically roaming the break lines and weeds in search of food.  It is extremely rare for me to find them suspended any more than 6' off the bottom.  The problem I had with "adjustable zoom" is by the time I got it moved to the bottom and set correctly on the bottom the fish were gone.

I have had very few occasions when I have searche and found fish 20' down in 40' of water.  When that happens I don't use the 40' scale and opt for the 20' scale (or 30' at times) and can view those fish in greater detail. 

I'm very happy with my Vexilars and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Thanks, using the depth setting is a good idea I hadn't considered.
 I've often found schools Kokanee suspended in various areas of the water column and stick to a 10-20' section of the water column, it makes adjustable zoom pretty valuable. 

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Finally got my new FLX 28 out for a test drive . I'm totally impressed had it in 5.4 fow in heavy weeds and I loved how the auto depth setting worked seeing the whole dial in lees than 6' and how the weed mode took the clutter out . Ended up today with a limit of 9-11" gills and 2 bass 4-6lbs and 3 catfish 3-6lbs . I was amazed on how well the jig showed up so big on the low power weed mode . I could also see the jig after the first foot down . My nephew was using a FL22 tri beam that he just bought . We both limited on gills we had an excellent day . Thanks vex you really changed things when you built this new 28 all I can say is WOW :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
Never to many short poles

Offline CrappieDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 PM »
Jumbo,

Are you saying that in Auto setting that if I am in 4 feet of water, that 4 foot range of depth will be spread out around the full Vex circular display? If so, the detail (even of a small lure) must be impressive. Wow !

The owner's manual notes that in very shallow water, "the FLX-28 has a 0-3 foot surface clutter filter". It also indicates this is designed "to avoid the clutter often created by the ice, but also means you would not be able to see any targets or even the bottom inside this 3 foot area" (or depth). This is on page 22 of the manual under the Low Power mode page.

Were you able to see anything shallower than the 3 foot depth? Were you able to see your lure (and fish if so) clearly in the top 3 foot of water?

If so, is this just a Low Power mode issue or an issue in the Normal or Auto Zoom modes?
I see this as a limitation as many Gills, esp early in the season, on the River backwaters are in less than that 3 foot depth.

Do other older models, esp the FL-22HD have this limitation? I ask specifically as the FL-22HD has the 0-10 foot range. There is no indication in the older FL-22HD owner's manuals of this clutter filter.

Assuming you are using the Pro View Ducer that came with the 28, how is that working?
What I am asking about is the control of the cone angle from narrow to wide by the adjustment of the Gain Control knob. When you widen the cone in shallow water by increasing the gain, are you getting alot of "clutter", especially in the weedy areas?
How do you like it verses the Dual or Tri Beam ducers?

Thnks.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2013, 04:22 PM »
That's the way it worked for me on Sunday it was great you could pick the bigger fish from the smaller ones and the jig showed up about a foot below the transducer

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:41 PM »
I've had mine out 5 times so far and love it, I had a FL8 before this so I am learning still but man I really love the "weed mode" makes it super easy to see fish in shallow water/ deep weeds, another thing is the auto mode for the depth. So far I'm super happy with it but still have a lot to learn

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I've been waiting to see how this thread develops now that we're getting a chance to use them on the ice.  I've had mine out twice, the only thing I'm willing to say for certain at this point is I am definitely impressed with the Weed mode.  I think I'll hold off on any further comments until I get to know her a little bit better.  It's only our second date after all.  ;D

Q

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:37 AM »
I am also watching this thread to see what everyone likes as well as what they don't. Has anyone seen any cons with not being able to set your cone angle and having it change along with the gain?

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I am also watching this thread to see what everyone likes as well as what they don't. Has anyone seen any cons with not being able to set your cone angle and having it change along with the gain?

I'm trying to work through something like that but I don't have a full grasp of what's going on just yet.  Regular mode, less than 10fow, having to crank the gain to find my jig, no current so I know the jig is directly under the hole.  Yet, Weed Mode seems to work great!  Like I said, still playing with it, trying to figure it out. 

Q

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Q how's it going?? 

I had mine out on Saturday and was in about 7' of water.  I found that if I left mine in auto it was like it was too sensitive, showing my line and my jig filling up the whole column with marks...if I raised my jig all the marks would move(showing my line)  the only way I could remove the "clutter lines" was to put it in low power mode and then turn the gain to about 3.  The water was very dirty but not sure that should matter.  I then went to a different pond with very clear water and didn't have that problem.  I could put it on auto mode and have my gain turned to 0 and still picked up my jig great.  I need to get out with it more and use it to make a really good opinion on it.  My first opinion though was "I'm taking this POS back"  I was disappointed that I couldn't switch it to the "Auto Mode" and just fish like they claimed.  My Dad was sitting next to me with his FL-12 and he was able to drop his in and fish with no adjustments.  I do like the brightness and color selection.  Like I said I will have to use it more before I decide if I like it or not.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:09 PM »
...  My first opinion though was "I'm taking this POS back" ..

:clap:  HA!   :woot:

That's funny!  I have to admit, mine too!  BUT, I'm trying hard to keep an open mind and reserving judgment until I have more time to play with it.  That's why I haven't said much.

I kind of figured that's why we haven't heard much from anyone since we got ice.

Q

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Maybe the unit you got is defective?? Mine has worked great I fished in heavy weeds in less than 6 fow could see my jig about a foot below the transducer but it does have a lot of power so I used auto low power mode but in weeds shallow I used weed mode Hope this helps Ron

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Maybe the unit you got is defective?? Mine has worked great I fished in heavy weeds in less than 6 fow could see my jig about a foot below the transducer but it does have a lot of power so I used auto low power mode but in weeds shallow I used weed mode Hope this helps Ron

God I hope not.  I spent the last 2 seasons fighting with flashers that just didn't work well for me.

I'm really hoping it's more like me picking up a Stradivarius and calling it a POS because I don't know how to play it.

Time will tell.   :wacko:

Q

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:57 PM »

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Q how's it going?? 

I had mine out on Saturday and was in about 7' of water.  I found that if I left mine in auto it was like it was too sensitive, showing my line and my jig filling up the whole column with marks...if I raised my jig all the marks would move(showing my line)  the only way I could remove the "clutter lines" was to put it in low power mode and then turn the gain to about 3.  The water was very dirty but not sure that should matter.  I then went to a different pond with very clear water and didn't have that problem.  I could put it on auto mode and have my gain turned to 0 and still picked up my jig great.  I need to get out with it more and use it to make a really good opinion on it.  My first opinion though was "I'm taking this POS back"  I was disappointed that I couldn't switch it to the "Auto Mode" and just fish like they claimed.  My Dad was sitting next to me with his FL-12 and he was able to drop his in and fish with no adjustments.  I do like the brightness and color selection.  Like I said I will have to use it more before I decide if I like it or not.
Just a thought but did your line happened to have ice on it? Were you using braided line? I dont own a vex but have had this happened to me and it was air bubbles from the line and ice build up.

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Jumbo chaser pick one up was able to demo both the 28 and lx7 before buying and I'm glad I bought the lx7... fished vexi for years now just needed change and this thing is the ticket... ran my 18 and lx7 side by side w little ir at all

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #49 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Still loving mine, 12 trips on it now.

I only fish deeper waters so I haven't had a chance to try it in the shallows yet. Tons of power, I've only used gain setting 1 so far.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Still loving mine, 12 trips on it now.

I only fish deeper waters so I haven't had a chance to try it in the shallows yet. Tons of power, I've only used gain setting 1 so far.

Well the gain on the FLX-28 controls the angle of the cone 9-50 degrees so you can't adjust the gain/sensitivity anyways, in the way we are used to using gain.  So it needs power in order for them to remove the sensitivity option.

This is what the Vexilar pro staffer told me at a ice show.  I have one but have yet to take it out since I haven't sold my last flasher yet.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:14 PM »
I didn't have ice on my line but was using the fire line 2 Lbs.  In my opinion it better not be that touchy that I have to use a certain type of line.  I think I just need to use it some more before making any decisions to keep or sell it.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Well the gain on the FLX-28 controls the angle of the cone 9-50 degrees so you can't adjust the gain/sensitivity anyways, in the way we are used to using gain.  So it needs power in order for them to remove the sensitivity option.

This is what the Vexilar pro staffer told me at a ice show.  I have one but have yet to take it out since I haven't sold my last flasher yet.

That is for the ProView 'ducer.  Not an issue for me.  I have an older Dual Beam on my 28.  Sold the ProView with my FL20.  I like to have control over what the 'ducer is doing. 

As for my thoughts on the 28... The auto function works fine but seems a little slow to determine the depth, range, and start to display when first turned on or when hole hopping.  I found myself using the manual zones.  Maybe just carryover habits from my old FL20.  I tried all the color options and found I like #5 the best.  AZ function works perfect, just as I would expect.  I did use the LP mode in shallow water.  I didn't get a chance to fish in the weeds to try the weed mode, but others seem to find it helpful. 

I did notice an increase in detail from my old FL20.  In 28FOW I could see if my jig had a waxie on it or not even without using a zoom mode.  My old FL20 (friend was using it in the next hole) only displayed the jig- even in 6' zoom. 

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:58 AM »
We had greats results with the 22 and the 28  my friend said he was fishing with a guy that's had a LX6 for years and its updated already and the 22 showed fish on the bottom that the 6 couldn't see the bottom hungers at all

Offline waskawood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Can any of the 28 owners comment on how the IR is working along side other Vex's and Marcum's?
Waska

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Can any of the 28 owners comment on how the IR is working along side other Vex's and Marcum's?

Works fine.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Well got mine on the ice for the first time this weekend. So far I haven't been this happy since I had my Lx5. Crisp lines, barely needed to run the gain up. Color modes are all great, but definitely preferred the 5 color mode was my favorite. Very happy with the setup of the propack over the ultra being a hole hopper. Real easy to pick and go. Looking forward to getting it in the weeds and a few other areas to really give it a good test. I'm still iffy on the proview, however, I've always preferred using a larger cone angle. We'll see how it plays out. Also I do dislike the eye hook going to either pick up the vex transducer arm add-on or rig up Marcum arm.

I have to say, the FLX28 Demo mode is probably one of the cheesiest ones with all the stupid stuff scrolling on the screen. :P

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:36 AM »
one suggestion for those of you that do a lot of hole hopping you might consider taking your FLX-28 and mounting it to a Genz Box instead of the Pro Pack or Ultra Pack. I plan to get a 28 next year and will be putting it on a Genz Box.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:50 PM »
one suggestion for those of you that do a lot of hole hopping you might consider taking your FLX-28 and mounting it to a Genz Box instead of the Pro Pack or Ultra Pack. I plan to get a 28 next year and will be putting it on a Genz Box.

Ultra Pack I can definitely see being too bulky, but the ProPack seems perfect... What does the Genz offer over the Pro?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:52 PM »
it just makes hole hopping easier. smaller foot print plus it sits on the top of a 5 gallon pail with out the pail having to be turned over once you do decide to set up in a spot for a while. the FLX 28 is not offered in a Genz Box so you would have to buy it separate and move the unit over to it. it's all a personal preference but I like the Genz Box over the Pro or Ultra Pack.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.