The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Cookin Fish  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cookin Fish
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:59 PM »
I love making poor mans lobster out of them. Admittedly on paper the recipe looks gross. Bring your favorite lemon/lime soda to a boil (7up is the best of the ones I’ve tried) and drop approx 1inch chunks of deboned togue into the boiling pop. When it floats it should be good to go into melted butter!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Spot on!

Yup. I like fish that taste like fish.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Togue - Smoked then flaked off the bones. Cream cheese, chopped red onion or shallot, lemon juice, dill or parsley and add the togue. Grab some crackers for the dip and you wont regret it. Works with other oily fish as well like blue fish, trout, and mackerel.

Panfish get fried in a beer batter and to change the flavor, change the beer. Sometimes I bake the whites and crappie with a little butter and veggie flavored ritz crackers.

Trout in general get brined and smoked or grilled with a pepper medley and some salsa. I do find that the brookie is far more oilier.

I do not eat freshwater bass by choice.

Cusk - poor mans lobster or fried as well.

Best fish and chips in my opinion come from Tautog/black fish.
Just add water.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Best fish and chips in my opinion come from Tautog/black fish.

Love Black Fish! I get them occasionally from a local wholesaler along with Tilefish, Porgy and LOVE Black Sea Bass whole steamed, grilled or Thai style!

NOW you got me hungry!

Haddock and Whitefish  Chowder tonight!!! MMMMMM M MMMMM
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I like small lake trout (18-25") fillets lightly coated with flour and white cornmeal and fried in a quarter inch of canola or peanut oil the same way I cook fillets of brown,rainbow trout or landlocks in the 15 to 20 inch range.  I think people who think lake trout are much different are nuts.  I need to start getting grilling more as they are all good basted with butter and lemon juice too, frying is just easier for me.  I hot smoke most all my trout and salmon. I don't like big 10 to 20lb Lakers out of Lake Ontario as they are too fatty even smoked.

My favorite salmonid is 12 inch sized brookies out of Rangeley or Mooselookmeguntic  gutted whole and  dusted with flour and fried in bacon fat with bacon on the side.  Not sure how much different they are, but brook trout are just my favorite fish, sorta like ruffed gtrouse are my favorite game bird.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.