The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Duck Lake Access  (Read 965 times)

Offline Black_Hawk70

• IceShanty Rookie
Duck Lake Access
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I've fished Duck Lake (east of Nicatous Lake) for many years, but haven't been up there for about 5 years. I'm looking to make a few (as many as possible) trips up this winter. I'm wondering if anyone knows the condition on the lake and whether or not the road in is passable via 4x4?

Thanks  :tipup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Duck Lake Access
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:08 AM »
The road over from Nicatous becomes the snowmobile trail in the winter, no 4x4 access.

Offline Black_Hawk70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:09 AM »
That's what I was afraid of. Best ice fishing in the state and I can't get to it.

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:48 AM »
I've driven to it before in the dead of winter ... didn't they replace a culvert w a small bridge that only fits snowmobiles ... I know it was a long ass drive coming in from rt 9. Caught my personal best salmon out of there... I'd love to go again
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:06 PM »
I've driven to it before in the dead of winter ... didn't they replace a culvert w a small bridge that only fits snowmobiles ... I know it was a long ass drive coming in from rt 9. Caught my personal best salmon out of there... I'd love to go again

It must have been quite a few years ago, the single bridge over Gassabias Stream has been in quite a few years now.

Offline Black_Hawk70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:29 PM »

I've also driven to Duck in the dead of winter many times myself. Years ago, I'd get on the Stud Mill Rd in Milford and then up the 32000 Rd into Duck. Never knew if we'd have to ride in from Stud Mill on sleds, or if it would be plowed into Duck. After the small bridge was put in, I started going in from the other end (Nicatous Lodge) and found it to be much better. But still... Never know if the road in is going to be plowed or if the road is being used as a snowmobile trail. However, more often than now, it's a trail and I can not drive in.

Due to the fact that I no longer own a snowmobile, I was hoping that the road was either plowed, or wasn't being groomed yet. But looks like I've gotta figure something else out.

Thanks for the input, folks.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I've also driven to Duck in the dead of winter many times myself. Years ago, I'd get on the Stud Mill Rd in Milford and then up the 32000 Rd into Duck. Never knew if we'd have to ride in from Stud Mill on sleds, or if it would be plowed into Duck. After the small bridge was put in, I started going in from the other end (Nicatous Lodge) and found it to be much better. But still... Never know if the road in is going to be plowed or if the road is being used as a snowmobile trail. However, more often than now, it's a trail and I can not drive in.

Due to the fact that I no longer own a snowmobile, I was hoping that the road was either plowed, or wasn't being groomed yet. But looks like I've gotta figure something else out.

Thanks for the input, folks.

Big fine for operating anything but a snowmobile on a State sanctioned trail.  If they are / have been grooming, don't get caught with a wheeler or vehicle on it, they won't give you a break on that one. ;D

Offline Black_Hawk70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Big fine for operating anything but a snowmobile on a State sanctioned trail.  If they are / have been grooming, don't get caught with a wheeler or vehicle on it, they won't give you a break on that one. ;D

Yeah buddy. I wouldn't drive on it, if it had been groomed. I was hoping they were cutting wood up there and plowing. Foiled again!

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:39 PM »
It must have been quite a few years ago, the single bridge over Gassabias Stream has been in quite a few years now.
yes  more years than I'd like to admit... came in from rt 9 ... the road that takes you past mopang
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:36 PM »
The woods roads are not getting the attention that they once were. I am guessing because of all of the mills closing and price of wood in the tank.
I crossed the bridge at Gass. this summer seems doable by sled.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.