Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1630683 times)

Online tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #12360 on: May 01, 2018, 05:15 AM »
Tropical heat wave. 61* already this morning. We have not seen it that warm in recent memory. Calling for 80* today. We are in burning ban as it is so dry. Guessed to get rain later today. I will wait and see how that turns out. The skeeters were out with a vengeance last night. The predict that there will be fewer this year due to the eggs freezing with the February warm up. We will se if those guessers are as good as the weather guessers.  ::)

IW I think that picture of the messy room may have been at the Grand Rapids VA clinic. They built a new clinic a few years ago so it is upto date as far as the building. The Veterans Home has been in trouble all of the time for poor care. They got rid of the long time employees and went to a contractor.  It went to H after that.

Eddie I ran into my old kit to drive concrete screws the other day. I sure liked using them vrs the old lead anchors or nails especially  the hex drive. I actually hung some dry wall on a cement block wall with the Philips heads and lots of construction adhesive. What are Eskimo anchors?

The wifes appointment went great as expected. it was at her gastric surgeons office. The  PA she saw actually recommended her going to another hospital complex to get stared on her thyroid problem as she could not get into a Dr. in their system for months. We will talk to my daughter in law to see who she would recommend as she the head of coding at that hospital. The Pa noticed some of issues of thyroid problems by looking at her finger nails and her hair loss.

Headed off to get groceries in a few and then to the big city to the doctor again.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12361 on: May 01, 2018, 05:34 AM »
Good Morning Eddie, IW, TT!  Good Morning Everyone :bow:

66 heading to 77 with showers to start and end the day.

I am off to Walmart this morning to get the grocery shopping taken care of. After that depending on the rain I am back to some outdoor tinkering. I am going to redo a planting along the street that looks neglected. It will mostly need to get a few volunteer trees cut down and then mulched.

I heard from the old boss yesterday. He called to tell me about all the improvements he is making for the year and how much easier it would be to work there :whistle: He went on to say how much more grown up his kid is from last year and he is expecting good things from him this season. Just when his picture painting was sounding good he mentioned how the same kid just totaled out his car when he plowed into a ditch while rolling a big fat one. Yep real grown up ???

Hope you all have an excellent Tuesday :thumbsup: Above all stay safe!

WS

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12362 on: May 01, 2018, 06:58 AM »
40 this morning. Checked water temp in two spots yesterday. 41 in the river and 43 at the boat launch. We have a pair of loons hanging around out front. They have been there for two days. Lots of ducks around and a couple pair of geese.
The grass is already getting green and we know what that means....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12363 on: May 01, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Good Morning everyone, looks like its going to be a nice day. Tom Turkey I hope your wife feels better. I hope everyone has a great day and a safe one.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12364 on: May 01, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Evening all,

Whew, spent the day blocking up wood for next winter's heat  :blink:  boy am I tired and stiff tonight, guess I haven't done a lot of physical labor since doing wood last year  ::)  Won't be long now till it's time to start mowing, everything is finally turning green  :thumbsup:  unfortunately the warm weather has also started black fly and skeeter season  :%$#!:

My grand daughter is doing very well thanks for all the well wishes. I spoke to her last night and she was pretty tired after going back to school, but luckily the school has elevators so getting to classes wasn't too bad  :flex:  She will not let anyone sign her cast for some reason, haven't figured that out yet and she doesn't really have a reason or isn't saying  :whistle:

Hope everyone has a good evening & those storms out WS's way aren't too severe  ;)  Stay safe.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12365 on: May 01, 2018, 11:34 PM »
Good evening Crew.  Was expecting a thunder storm but it missed me.  Marv sounds like the kid needs a better coach.

one thing for sure these wrist guards sure make it hard to type.  The healing process is going slow, but hope it works, dread the thought of having surgery on them.

Jeff how goes your battle with the carpal tunnel ?
Bud

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12366 on: May 02, 2018, 05:04 AM »

Good morning Bud, ER's,
                         It's 58*, WOW and clear here on my hill suppose to hit the high 70's here today, a good day to get outside now that all
                 the snow is gone. :clap:
                        Bud........My carpel tunnel has it's moments but the worst part is the tingling at night. I had it in my right hand after the surgery it
                 was good as new, almost. ::) So I can't wait to get the left hand done! :flex:
                        Tom.......That's too bad about the VA home going down hill like that, Veterans need better care than that. :thumbsup:
                        Wally......Take it easy on the wood your body needs to be in good shape for fishing on the lake. :woot:
                        Marv.......Everything you've told us in the past about the boss's son, he'll never grow up. :roflmao:
                        I hope everyone has a good Wednesday, Hump Day either at work or at play.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12367 on: May 02, 2018, 05:05 AM »
Good Morning IW! Good Morning Everyone :bow:

WW take it easy on the wood making, you don't need to overdo it :nono: Glad all went well for your grand daughter. :clap:

All the heavy weather went way south of us so we just ended up with some overnight showers. Unfortunately fire dangers are still alive and well.

Yesterday I worked dead wooding my pines before I can start work on redoing the area next to the road. I will probably have 1 more day of trees as the dead wooding goes fairly slow.

The boss called again last night asking if I would consider helping him do bids this summer. I told him I would think about it, but not real excited with the grind that it could lead to. He would like me to do the north metro, while he did the south metro. For 3-4 months it would probably mean 3 days a week with anywhere from 5-10 bids a day. Guess it all depends on what it's worth to him.

Hope you all have an excellent Hump day (except OS, his is tomorrow) :thumbsup: Above all else stay safe!

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12368 on: May 02, 2018, 05:59 AM »
good morning 'ER's

Marv, I would think, more important about doing the bids is what its worth to you.

Rain never showed up, here.  Guessers still saying today.

Makes me wonder how Vets in other countries fair, that have universal health care ?  Might be why some consider moving to other countries and giving up U.S. citizenship.
Bud

Online tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12369 on: May 02, 2018, 06:16 AM »
UP early this morning to check on the wild fire west of us. What was first reported as 80 acres jumped to 250 acres in short order. They have it knocked down. four counties sent trucks to help along with the DNR and Forest Service. At first reports I thought it might have been threatening a friends place but it was a mile or so east.

Another good thing is that the popples and cottonwood have not been dropping there fuzz yet. One Memorial week end I called in a fire east of my place. I heard a plane circling so I went to see what that was about. There was a huge cloud of smoke from the fire. When I called it in the gal at the Sherriff's office she said she needed an exact location. I told her to step out the door as there was 10,000 feet of smoke. I had given her the section number and Township it was in.

When I got over there to fight the fire I was run out of the woods by the fuzz flashing ahead of the leaves even starting to burn. I ended up riding with a DNR friend in his power wagon plow truck. Every once in a while we would have to stop and wash the fuzz out of the radiator. Riding with that guy was an experience with where he could get through with that truck and the stories he would tell.

WOW It took me a few seconds to realize what the noise is. It is raining!!!The cold water of Lake Michigan has been knocking down the rain coming out of Wisconsin. The keep pushing back the rain they have been guessing we are supposed to get.

The wife's appointment yesterday to get that thing out of her back only took a few minutes. She will have to switch to another doc if she needs to go to that office again. That doc is retiring the end of May. He is 81.

WW At least you are getting a start on the wood before it really gets hot out. I used to love working on fire wood. Now I can hardly lift my Husky 55 Rancher. My son cut down a few trees before the sap came up so I have enough wood to heat the other place when I am over there hunting. They still need to be cut up so they can dry out on the power line this summer.

I need to get going as I am going to my buddys aunt's funeral this morning.

WS Be carefull or your old boss will have you back cutting trees!!!

IW The wifes late husband was a disabled veteran. He worked as a case worker for the American Legion. He fought as a far as it going to Washington to get benifits for Veterans that the VA had denied. When her late father in was going to the GR VA they could not pull the wool over his eyes on benifits due to the wifes experinaces of her late husband fighting for Veterans rights.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12370 on: May 02, 2018, 07:20 AM »
Good morning everyone ,another sunny and warm day weathers guessers calling for highs in low eighties today and tomorrow before chance of rain later in day on Thursday. If all of you will keep me in your thoughts and prayers I would appreciate it I have been having trouble sleeping past week when I do lay down usually awake in 3 hours or less time. Feel like I'm in a fog also have a cough that comes and goes during the day. Going to visit local medical clinic and see what they can tell me know my diet needs improving from meat and potatoes. Think my body is fighting some type of infection and needs help I have gotten out of practice of yearly physicals so wondering what will be found and cost to get myself back to normal.

Capt.Jim happy to read grandson had good first check up ,hard decision for your son be closer to family or stay in service.
Ice Wanderer appears doctor treating your shoulder wants to hold off on any surgery and see if physical therapy improves mobility and level of pain you experience.
Tom Turkey yearly burn ban here in NY. until mid May I believe my area has seen a couple bad wild fires in last five years. May you find a doctor who can help treat your wife's thyroid problem.
Whopper Stopper think your old boss has seen how much you did for his company and has no current employee to fill your work boots. I agree  with Mr.Turkey if you decide to go back will start with giving bids and eventually you will be back in the trees. Hope bosses son matures before something happens that lands him in prison or cemetery.
IFF may wrist braces help your Carpel tunnel.
Wallyworld ease into the fire wood gathering for next Winter and other physical outside work hope you are feeling better today. Good to hear your granddaughter is getting around alright with her leg in cast.

May all of you have a safe and good day. Best to all fishing.
Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12371 on: May 02, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Best wishes sent your way Steve. Hope all turns out well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WS

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12372 on: May 02, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Good morning everyone, Going to be a hot day today. Hope everyone has a great day and tight lines to those on the water.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12373 on: May 02, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Thank you for the well wishes WS . Turns out I have acute bronchitis left clinic with prescriptions for antibiotic and inhaler . Also list of doctors as they are only an urgent care facility. Also told to try over the counter melatonin to help with sleep problem.
Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #12374 on: May 03, 2018, 03:29 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
 67* and calm this am, high of 81 today with some rain coming in this afternoon.

Steve...glad to read you are on the road to recovery now, hope the meds prescribed are helping. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers today also....get well soon Sir!    :thumbsup:
  Tom...hope that rain you got helps prevent more wildfires. We still have a burn ban in effect here until May 14, but the ground is still saturated. Another month until my cottonwood tree will make my yard look like snow, lol.
  Marv...good luck with your decision making...  :thumbsup:

Computer/cable acting up again this morning...will have to finish post this afternoon.  Cawfee's on...
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12375 on: May 03, 2018, 04:05 AM »

Good morning Eddie,ER's,
                         It's 63* and clear here on my hill, what a beautiful day yesterday was and today more of the same. :thumbsup:
                         Steve......I'm glad the clinic could diagnose something, the worst is going to the Dr. and they can't find anything. :unsure:
               I'm glad you"ll be getting better after the meds kick in! :clap:
                         Eddie......I bet the fashionable people were out in force yesterday around the capital. :woot:
                         Marv.......When I retired I thought I'd pick up something a couple days a week but I found I was too busy. It's all in what
               you want to do. I don't know your age but if you're old enough to start collecting SS for every year after 62 you gain about $100 a month
               in benefits. Good luck on your decision> :thumbsup:
                         Wally.......Are you and Mr. ww heading out to fish in this nice weather? ???
                         Back to occupational therapy today.
                         I hope everyone has a great Thursday either at work or out fishing.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12376 on: May 03, 2018, 05:02 AM »
Good Morning Eddie, IW! Good Morning Everyone :bow:

I am heading north this morning to pick up the old boat. I am not sure if the lakes are ice free or not, but I need to get it home and ready for when I can get out. After I get back I have to dig out the septic cover as a truck is coming tomorrow to pump out the tank.

Thanks for the wishes and input Eddie, IW. Lots of mulling to be done before I would consider it. I would have went for it if it would have been offered before I quit, but I think some of it is as TT said and his idea is I would eventually move back to the bucket. No Thanks.

IW good luck at occupational therapy today :thumbsup:

Eddie hope your week is going smooth and the new guys are fitting in.

WW is the wood making done or does the grind continue ???

I hope everyone has a good Thursday :thumbsup: As always stay safe!

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12377 on: May 03, 2018, 06:05 AM »
Morning all,

MrC.....glad you got some medicine  :)  hope you're feeling better soon

IW.....best wishes at your therapy session  ;) no fishing right now, trying to get stuff caught up around the house  :(

WS....agree with the others that the boss is trying to wrangle you back in the tree tops  :nono:  wish the wood working was done, still some blocking left then the splitting & stacking  :-\

Eddie.....hope you get rid of the gremlins  ;)

It hit 90* yesterday  :o  what a change from a week ago  :wacko: 

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12378 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11 AM »
Good Morning again!

I have been having mixed success with my mole trapping. Yesterday I started from scratch and reset two traps. This morning when I checked the traps I found my first confirmed kill :clap: :clap:

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12379 on: May 03, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Give em hell  :roflmao: :thumbsup: :flex:

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12380 on: May 03, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Good Morning ER's

Looks like the rain maker is here, and going to stay awhile.  Had a real gully washer last evening/night.

Looks like Marv is getting the hang of the mole trapping.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

beginning to think the Rats are back, one feeder looked like it had been raided.  :unsure:

making slow progress on my end with the workouts. just need to keep at it.

good day to all.
Bud

Online tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12381 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17 AM »
We finally got some decent rain over night. The Fox weather guy spent close to 15 minutes with the front coming on shore last night on the 10 pm news. It does not sound like the heavy winds actually came true which is good. Thankfully the trees have not leafed out yet adding to the resistance to the wind in the trees. I am not seeing any major power outages. Just about dark last night the temperature dropped almost 20 degrees in just a few minutes.

Prior to the funeral yesterday I did some turkey scouting. I pulled into a friends drive way to ask him where they were. He was not home but there were 5 long beards in his garden. While at my sons house he said look at the cedar trees along his drive way. The deer had eaten them bare as far as they could reach over the winter. The deer have never hung around there during the winter since we bought the place in 1969.

I got to meet one of my buddy's Uncle Harry's daughters prior to the funeral. She got a puzzled look her face wondering what my connection I had to the family. When I explained being adopted into the family by my buddy's mother. When I told how much I liked her dad she bent over and gave me a big hug.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12382 on: May 03, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Good morning everyone, amazing how we go right into 90° weather. Whopper stopper good catch on the mole. How we treat our veterans is deplorable. Hope everyone has a great day.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #12383 on: May 04, 2018, 03:21 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  TGIF!!  A bit damp and 62* to start the day, high of 79 today with some showers likely throughout the day.

I-45...sure is a big change in the weather. The weatherman here stated April had 26 out of 30 days below normal temp,, hit 90 on Wednesday, mid 80's again yesterday. How's your back feeling?
  Tom...my condolences on your loss...glad you could reconnect with some of the family members. Sadly, it seems like it takes weddings and funerals to do that the majority of the time. Sounds like you found the turkeys..best of luck bagging one soon!   :thumbsup:
  Bud...keep up the good work with your workouts, hope you see some positive results soon!  :thumbsup: 
  Marv...wtg putting #1 on the board, continued success! :clap: :thumbsup:  Did you pick up the boat yesterday?
  Wally...hope your chores are almost complete, sure ooks like some nice comfortable fishing weather moving in for most of next week.  :thumbsup:
  Jeff...the summer fashions have arrived big time over the last few days!!  :bow: :clap:  Hope your therapy went well yesterday. How's MW doing now, must be busy as heck with the nicer weather.   :thumbsup:

Took my grandson to baseball practice (T-ball) last evening, almost forgot how much fun it was to watch the little ones. The coach was practicing with them how to get the runner out at first base. He tossed a grounder under handed to a little girl playing first base and told her to step on the bag. Well, she got the ball and took off running for 2nd and then 3rd...never did touch first, but she would have them on the other two!! Good stuff... :clap: :roflmao:  First game of the season tomorrow at 11am, should be entertaining!   :thumbsup:
  Time to get ready for the last 8 hour shift....cawfee's on!
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12384 on: May 04, 2018, 03:49 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                             It's 58* and partly cloudy here on my hill with rain in the forecast later today.
                             Eddie........My #2 sons daughter has her first "T" ball game tomorrow, my wife and I are planning on going to watch her play. It
                    should be a lot of fun, she is 4 years old but is as tall as a 7 year old and she hasn't quite got the rules down. :roflmao:
                    MW and his wife have been out straight with work and he's also coaching little league. :flex:
                             Marv.......Good job on getting the mole, are they like mice, if you see one there's 7 in the hole! ::)
                             Bud.........I hope the workouts are not keeping you sore and doing good for you. :thumbsup:
                             Tom........I'm sorry for your loss, Eddie is right, it seems as we get older we loose connections with friends and family! :(
                             Wally.......Hurry up and get those chores done so you can get back out on the lake. :woot:
                             Today my truck is in the body shop getting fitted for some running board steps and a minor fix, two winters ago someone hit my
                   bumper and pulled off the right cover. I bought the new piece but the bumper and trailer hitch has to come off to replace it. I was going
                   to do it myself but with my shoulder and hands I'm leaving it up to the pros!
                             I hope everyone has a good Friday either at work or at play.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12385 on: May 04, 2018, 05:14 AM »
Good Morning Eddie, IW! Good Morning Everyone :bow:

57 heading to 78 with sun today, the only hitch will be the winds. Fire warnings keep getting stronger and stronger, time for a good rain.

Eddie excellent story :clap: I take my hat off to the coaches and helpers that organize those games. Talk about patience :clap: I did get the old boat yesterday. I was going to pick it up and leave but my sister had some tree questions. Before I knew it I was using some old pole saw trying to trim an ash. Then I found myself under a clump of pines trying to lift them with a broken carpenter saw :woot: Finally after working up a sweat and getting a good coughing jag, I said I had enough. I am going to run up there again tomorrow with my saws and do the job right. Something about using other peoples  tools, especially ones not designed for a job, makes everything take 3x's as long.

IW the moles are supposed to be territorial and have their own area. However the guy that stopped here told me he often catches 2 in the same runway. He figured I had 4-5 hot spots so his idea was I probably had 6-8 moles sharing my yard. As you had said they are after grubs just below ground level. Using the grub pellets as you talked about would work but it isn't an option for me because of the size of my yard. He also said if I catch one, usually moles from an joining property will move in. From reading, if people new how much good the moles were actually doing they would leave them alone. But being they tunnel as they do the make their own fate. I can't wait for first light to see how last night went.

Good luck with the wood project WW :thumbsup: Try not to break any nails or get any blisters. Eddies cold elixir works on sore backs too :whistle:

The only thing currently on the agenda is the septic pumper at 9am.

Hope you all have an excellent day :thumbsup: As always stay safe!

WS

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12386 on: May 04, 2018, 06:19 AM »
59* and foggy. Rained overnight. Yesterday got the flower beds all cleaned up and ranked around the deck.

Enjoy the T-ball games everyone.

Night before last I saw some walleyes. Not many but some nice ones for this lake. What I did see a lot of, were frogs. Floating and swimming down stream. I would think the pike would be laying down stream waiting for them. The pike have been laying in the back waters during these warm days.

Everyone have a good Friday and a nice weekend. Good Luck to those that are fishing and be safe....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12387 on: May 04, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Good Morning ER's

I can't seem to be able to find the honey-do list, must mean I'm supposed to go fishing.  :whistle: Got just over 1 3/4" of rain/sleet mix yesterday.  Won't be long will have to fire up the lawn mower.  cup of coffee, then off to do the bike ride2

H2L bet some of those frogs would make for a good bait.

Good Day to all
Bud

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12388 on: May 04, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Morning all,

TT......sorry for your loss  :'(  nice you were able to be there to support your "family"  :bow:  good luck on the turkeys  ;)

H2L.....can't imagine this weekend's opening will produce too many catches as cold as the water still is  :-\  the reports should be interesting come Sunday night

Eddie....the first season or two of kids sports are the best, as they're just learning how to play  :roflmao:  got to watch my grandson's first baseball game last week, what a riot  :woot:  you are so lucky to have the grandkids live close by, enjoy the games  :thumbsup:

WS.....hope you find all your traps full this morning  :flex:  we have the same problem with moles here and with the affected areas being too big ($$$) to treat for grubs  :%$#!:  got all the winter tunnels rolled down yesterday, now it's wait & see where the activity currently is  ::)  then repeat process at camp, useless critters  >:(

MrC.....hope the meds are doing their job & you're feeling better  ;)2 probably would help if you had a more "normal" sleep schedule  :-\

IFF....hope your workouts aren't getting in the way of your time on the water  :o  try to find exercises that don't leave you too worn out  ;)

IF45.....how's the back feeling ???

IW......knowing when to let the pros do the heavy work is a smart call  :thumbsup:  you;re also very lucky to have the grandkids close, enjoy the game ;D

Looks like a quiet day here today thanks to some rain  :whistle:  time to run some errands and catch up on inside chores again  ::)  A nice weekend in store, but we don't do weekends once everyone else starts fishing  :nono:  it gets too crazy  :cookoo:  however Monday's looking pretty good right now  @)  just not sure if it will be walleyes or browns  :blink:   ;D

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12389 on: May 04, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Good morning everyone,  looks like it's going to be a rainy day. Hope everyone has a great day.
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.