Author Topic: Useing Spud bars  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Useing Spud bars
« on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:43 PM »
Can some of you  guys give me pointers on using a spud bar to check ice?  I've seen them spoken about on here a few times and have a basic idea how to use them.  But whats a good one to get, and how do you get the most out of them, as far as safely checking the ice?

Thanks for all suggestions in advance, I think I need to look into one these with all the melting and then refreezing.

Lonzo

stinky

Re: Useing Spud bars
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2005, 05:44 PM »
 Lonzo
 The idea with the spud bar is hold your arm out hit the ice with the spud if it goes thru in one hit get away from where you are. You can also hit the ice a number of times in the same spot to see how many hits it takes to go thru.
 Never walk farther than you have used the spud. First ice and last can be scarry and the spud can save you. You could just drill a hole but you could be falling thru while you are drilling. I usually wear a PFD ( personal flotation device) and have a friend with a rope close by for safety also. If it takes 6 good hits to go thru walk another 5 to 10 ft. and try again. Doing this can be tireing but your safety and the safety of those with you is important.
Bob

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Useing Spud bars
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2005, 06:09 PM »
Been using a ice spud for 30 years make my holes square so I can tell were I fished before ;) Jiffy makes EXCELLENT spuds I have the Mille Lacs model and recomend it the medium size model sells for about $35 there # is 800 344 0712 and can be veiwed at www. jiffyonice.com Happy Spudding THE Spud
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.