Author Topic: Central Il. Hardwater Get together/Tournament?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Central Il. Hardwater Get together/Tournament?
« on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:07 AM »
Hey Fellas,
I'm looking to do a little traveling this winter and share in God's greatest sport- any of you guys meet up for "fishing weekends"/tournaments (anywhere from 25-50 miles from peoria-galesburg area)? I'm thinking of trying to get a group up to go on one of my favorite lakes here in Yates City (where the BULLGILLS average the size of the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket-no fish story-VERY private lake!)--my get together/tournament would mainly have to be catch and release, though--We could really damage the above lake/resource in a quick amount of time-very small lake,plus it's the owner's front yard! That's why it's obviously so private! Anyway, I thought I'd start a new topic so we could get together, fish, philosophize, and have some fun!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Central Il. Hardwater Get together/Tournament?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2004, 12:09 PM »
     Hey Iceman,
 That sounds like a good idea.I'm in Mendota.There are some good places around here if you"d be willing to drive up here for some get togethers  on both private and public lakes.Count me in ,willing to put something together on my end.
                                                                            Don :tipup:

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2004, 04:58 PM »
For fishing that good I would travel the 2 hours it would take me to get there.  Keep us informed.  I am lucky to have all weekends off, so anytime anyone needs help drilling holes and finding fish just let me know.

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:32 PM »
That does sound like a good idea Iceman!  Keep us posted and let us know what comes about.  If I don't have to work on Saturdays I'd make a weekend of it.  Theres only one catch we gotta use your new rule of thumb 4 inch's of ice  ;D

Now lets get some ice :D

Lonzo

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2004, 06:56 AM »
Im in to I am also from Mendota so it is not to long of a drive for me either.

P Gottshall

« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2004, 11:30 PM »
Washington, IL.  About 80mi from Mendota.  Sounds fun.  Let me know!

Paul

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2004, 04:38 AM »
sorry it took me so long to respond- like Lonzo said at the first sign of for inches of ice, I figure we can start planning something.

Kind of off topic-but does anyone here fish Lake Storey in Galesburg?- I know the crappie fishing at night can be great sometimes, I've just never driven there to try it. Did you say you'd fished it, Lonzo? By the way, did everyone see the temps for early this week- THIS IS DECEMBER,RIGHT????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Kind of off topic-but does anyone here fish Lake Storey in Galesburg?- I know the crappie fishing at night can be great sometimes, I've just never driven there to try it. Did you say you'd fished it, Lonzo? By the way, did everyone see the temps for early this week- THIS IS DECEMBER,RIGHT????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not me Iceman, I've been up to Bangs and they do pretty good for crappie just after dark hour or two. 

Lonzo

P Gottshall

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:00 PM »
I fished Lake Storey once this summer.  We caught a few Crappies on the only laydown we could find in deep water, & some on a dropoff.  I understand that it's a pretty popular ice-fishing location, & I'd like to try it this year, if we get any ice.

I haven't fished it enough to tell you much.  It's a no-motor lake, but isn't too large.

Offline TylersDad03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Fellow IL ice fishermen My name is Bryan sieben Im new to the shanty. I usully post on iceteam.It seem theres more guys from Il. here. Is anyone going to the michigan trap attack? let me know because me and my team are headed that way the 13 of january. anybodys wellcome to enter.                                                             

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2004, 11:56 PM »
Well, got some bad news, fellas regarding the fishing get-together I was hoping to hold here in Yates City on the Honey-Hole I fish. The Owner was definately not enthused about having it there, like I said the pond's basically his front yard! So that shuts down my ideas of having it somewhere real local for me, but there's always Lake Storey in Galesburg or somewhere you guys can come up with. Sorry, I was really hoping you guys could fish this lake with me, everytime I take someone out, (only 1 at a time, like I said he's real practicular, but who could blame him), they're always amazed at the size of the fish. For example, one day this summer, I was in the back of the boat, casting a Fin-a-Shad sluggo-type lure and my step-son was in the front using an ultralight, throwing a minnow-imitation grub. Well, on consecutive casts, I caught bass ranging from 3-5lbs. (probably 30 in all!), while my step-son caught those big bull blugills (way too many to count!), and rarely were any under/near the 1lb. class!

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2004, 11:57 PM »
One more thing--- on the up-side---THE ICE IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:38 AM »
  Iceman,thats too bad about the honey hole.I would be willing to give Lake Storey a try.Never been there.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:38 AM »
Ok, illinoisicer and everyone else, how about Lake Storey as an option for everyone? Looks Like we might have to plan it sometime around this weekend because of the warmup next week might spell death for any ice we've formed up to this point. I live 35 miles from the lake, so it won't be a realistic option for me to check it personally, but sometimes I can get reports of the ice conditions from the guy who runs the local gas station. These are usually few and far between, so please post if you know how the ice is at Lake Storey.
 If it forms alot of ice Wed.-Sat.(like it definately looks like it will!), maybe we can push the date back to fit everyone's schedule. This might be even better for me also, what with the holidays and all. Anyway, Happy X-Mas to all and to all, THICK ICE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.