The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Show some courtesy and use common sense!!  (Read 1651 times)

Offline z_man111

• IceShanty Rookie
Show some courtesy and use common sense!!
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:05 PM »
I'll bet, many of you have had this experience at some point: You've had your wheelhouse sitting on a spot for a day or two.... Nice and toasty, vexilar humming away in the background... Not another fish house in sight!  Then out of nowhere, some random guy comes flying up in is truck and drops his wheelhouse 20 ft away!!!!  This guy can't be serious right???  Oh, but he is....
If you happen to be "that guy"..... That's not cool.  Ya,ya, nobody "owns" a fishing spot, but for crying out loud, use your brain.  IMO if you can't give your neighbor 25 yards and still catch fish, then leave. Plain and simple.  "But hey! 10ft + is legal in MN right?" Sure, but don't look surprised when you catch some serious flack from me.  Sorry pal, there is just no way you can justify being that close.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Show some courtesy and use common sense!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:17 AM »
The one question to ask in these situations is, is there some sort of structure or formation below that holds fish? Is this a big spot in a featureless lake that holds fish? I see what you're saying, but every lake has something in it that holds fish and people know about it so they want to fish there. But I have also experienced the "Norwegian fish finder" myself multiple times. And I've also experience Minnesotan hospitality at its finest in both the positive and negative sense. Lets keep this civil though, I'll leave this until it gets out of hand.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:52 AM »
I fish the lake structure, sometimes within 10+ feet of others. The way someone reacts determines how they are treated. No one owns the lake, we all do. ;)

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Years back on a local lake a guy set his permy on top on the tire pile to catch gills.  Another jerk placed his shack touching the first so he to could fish for gills.  Pictures were posted on the local fishing forum but nothing could be done since there is no minimum distance between shacks in SD.   

I know the second shack got peed on a lot.  Hahaha

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Bring a chainsaw and start cutting around his shack. See problem solved. Just kidding. Deal with it all the time some of the folks are great people some not so much. Guess there’s no changing I’m intitled. But it all comes down to common curtesy. And respect.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Nobody likes it if someone sets right up on top of them. But like was said there may be a piece of structure,  point or inside curve etc. With today's maps and GPS everybody knows were they are located. The law is the law, so if the person sitting up next to you is not breaking the law and your feelings just got hurt. I would be careful about harassing anyone or peeing on their ice house, because then you are the one breaking the law.

sunniewally

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:14 AM »
If you are sitting on a prime spot and you are not there at the time you have no right to whine!! That's the problem with guys leaving their house on the lake. Not in the house take it off! Pretty simple.  First come first serve. Same goes if the person is there before you, give him the respect he deserves. He just beat you there. No brainer!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:34 AM »
I hear you, but legal is legal. In fact you telling them off is unsportsmanlike. You can think what you want but have no right to call them out.

I do see the points with the structure, but I think generally folks get more sense of feeling safe driving them heavy rigs out. They see a big truck with a house and are almost drawn to it. I see it every weekend even with portables. I get to the lake, nobody is to be seen. Then few hours later I pop out and notice a town grew around me.

It is like if you are first to the lake everybody is hypnotized into joining you close by.

I noticed this with boats as well on many MN lakes. Not sure why as usually nobody is catching anything anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.