New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Heading to lake placid, where to ice fish?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Mr. Icy

• IceShanty Rookie
Heading to lake placid, where to ice fish?
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:11 AM »
Heading to lake placid next week. Will be staying by mirror lake. Where can I ice fish in the area? Mainly looking for easy access and just a day on the ice. Catching will be a bonus! Trout would be even more of a bonus! But would be happy with a day out! Thanks, pat!

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heading to lake placid, where to ice fish?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Unless they've changed the rules icefishing is not allowed on mirror lake nor lake placid. Schroon lake is quite a drive but is talked about a lot. If you drive south west there are plenty of other lakes, the saranacs, flower etc are worth researching. What species are you looking for?

Offline Woodyvtwin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is Life!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Although I've never ice fished Connery pond I have soft water fished there. Please check out the link. I hope it helps. ;D
http://www.lakeplacid.com/do/activities/connery-pond-winter
Fishing is like a pizza, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good!

Offline Mr. Icy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Unless they've changed the rules icefishing is not allowed on mirror lake nor lake placid. Schroon lake is quite a drive but is talked about a lot. If you drive south west there are plenty of other lakes, the saranacs, flower etc are worth researching. What species are you looking for?

Nothing in particular, any trout, bass, pike/pickerel, or perch would keep the guys entertained.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:32 PM »
Wow! I was really surprised that you can't ice fish on these lakes. Any idea why?  :o

Offline Mtnd777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Wow! I was really surprised that you can't ice fish on these lakes. Any idea why?  :o

Theres certain lakes that can't be fished because of the trout population I believe I would have to double check the regulations to be sure

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Live in the area, best I can surmise the prohibition is largely political. Head out towards saranac lake. Tons of options out there

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Live in the area, best I can surmise the prohibition is largely political. Head out towards saranac lake. Tons of options out there

Yes probably political. I swung through Lake Placid on December 29 as part of a north country ice fishing vacation with my family. Stopped right at Mirror lake and was surprised to not see any ice fishing happening. I already had the gear out of the car, but figured I better call ther DEC regional office for a rule quote  ,and sure enough I was told there was no ice fishing on Mirror.

My theory is that the foofy crowd that spends ridiculous money at Lake Placid would not want to see salty, real people like me " hurting " the poor fish and so the money talks and silly rules get made as a result.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:57 AM »
connery pond

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:06 AM »
Yes probably political. I swung through Lake Placid on December 29 as part of a north country ice fishing vacation with my family. Stopped right at Mirror lake and was surprised to not see any ice fishing happening. I already had the gear out of the car, but figured I better call ther DEC regional office for a rule quote  ,and sure enough I was told there was no ice fishing on Mirror.

My theory is that the foofy crowd that spends ridiculous money at Lake Placid would not want to see salty, real people like me " hurting " the poor fish and so the money talks and silly rules get made as a result.
[/quote

But your public tax dollars pay for Lakers and Rainbows to be stocked in each lake. So unless you head back up with a canoe, those stockings are all for not. I highly doubt those fish see much pressure from open water, especially mirror, at least Lake Placid has a boat launch.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:31 PM »

I'm surprised that you had not looked at the little book that came with the license to see what the rules are for ice fishing before you left home.

Both Lake Placid and Mirror Lake get lots of fishing pressure during the open trout season.  Most lakes that contain trout in the 'daks are closed to ice fishing.  The ones that are open are listed in that " little book", by county.  Placid is renowned for the drake hatch, and held the NYS Lake Trout record before LO came back on.

I am sure the prohibition has more to do with politics than biology.  But it only takes a few bad apples to rot the barrel, and I've been to lots of places where ice fishers are considered lower life forms by property owners, sometimes because some ice fishers act like lower life forms.  And Mirror is the backdrop for the major commercial center of Town, and they likely don't want the litter, and the "whoopin' and hollerin'."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.